Upper, Lower Intake Manifold and Valve Cover Gasket Replacement - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 24090
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
fun2no33 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Thumbs down Upper, Lower Intake Manifold and Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Hey fellow bull riders! Need some help here regarding the replacement of the upper, lower manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets on my 2005 Taurus SEL.
I have been having a CEL come on intermittently and finally gave up and took the car to a shop with a smoke mach. They are telling me that all these areas are leaking and it will cost 400-500 to get it done.
The car seems to run fine except for some jumping up and down when I am at a red light or stop sign about 50 RPM. I have had the fuel filter replaced and there are no oil leaks. The car has 121K on it.

1. How big a deal is it to replace these gaskets? I am pretty handy but my time and place to work on the care are very limited.
2. How unusual it to have gasket problems in all three of these areas at the same time.
3. Any hints, directions on how to do this or any other helpful info would be appreciated. Thanks to you all.
fun2no33
fun2no33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 01:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
azu

Member Number: 12307
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 06 SEL Vulcan
azu has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2no33 View Post
The car seems to run fine except for some jumping up and down when I am at a red light or stop sign about 50 RPM.

Mine has done that since I have had the car. The part where they tell you that you need value cover gaskets, eventhough you have no oil leaks makes me think something is fishy. What codes were showing?
14 Chevy Malibu LS 4K
The Only Dumb Question Is The One You Didn't Ask!
azu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
WJC
Devoted Member

Member Number: 16719
WJC has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2no33 View Post
1. How big a deal is it to replace these gaskets? I am pretty handy but my time and place to work on the care are very limited.
2. How unusual it to have gasket problems in all three of these areas at the same time.
3. Any hints, directions on how to do this or any other helpful info would be appreciated. Thanks to you all.
fun2no33
1. If you've never done them before, it could take all Saturday and a few hours after church Sunday.
2.With 121K miles, it's entirely likely.
3.Plenty of directions on the site. Just use the search.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 24090
fun2no33 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I dont remember the exact code numbers but they were for "lean bank 1 & 2". Prior to this I have had code P0300 "ramdom misfire" which went away after replacing the intake manifold tuning valve O ring. Except for the light and the up & down rpms when at a red light when the engine idles, the car runs great.
fun2no33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 13634
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2011 Ford Taurus SE
michakaveli has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to michakaveli

Sounds like yours has the same symptoms mine does. However I do question the lower intake manifold gasket and the valve cover gaskets.

I plane on replacing the gasket between the upper and lower intake manifold once it starts to warm up.
michakaveli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 32406
Drives: 2003 SES 24V DOHC
LawnRanger is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2003 Duratec DOHC has some oil around the upper intake plenum (where it bolts to the lower). I see this on both front and back (up under the intake plenum). We just had the car serviced (oil change and coolant flush) at the dealer at 102K miles. I didn't notice this oil there before. Is that a place where it might leak oil? If so, would the upper gasket set correct the issue? I was thinking of doing plugs and possibly wires (is that necessary at 100K) as well if I have to remove the intake plenum. Do most people replace just the upper gaskets or do they do lower as well? My lower ones don't appear to be leaking anything but won't be able to tell for sure till I pull things off.
LawnRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 34109
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2004 Ford Taurus SES, 3.0 liter 24 valve DOHC v-6 Duratec engine
brd7666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnRanger View Post
My 2003 Duratec DOHC has some oil around the upper intake plenum (where it bolts to the lower). I see this on both front and back (up under the intake plenum). We just had the car serviced (oil change and coolant flush) at the dealer at 102K miles. I didn't notice this oil there before. Is that a place where it might leak oil? If so, would the upper gasket set correct the issue? I was thinking of doing plugs and possibly wires (is that necessary at 100K) as well if I have to remove the intake plenum. Do most people replace just the upper gaskets or do they do lower as well? My lower ones don't appear to be leaking anything but won't be able to tell for sure till I pull things off.
If you have 100,000 miles on your plugs, it's definitly time to change them. I am getting ready to change my plugs, and maybe even the coil packs. I'm waiting on the 2004 Service Repair Manual so I have all the right torque specs. My number 3 cylinder is misfiring, so I am going to change all the plugs. I will be pulling the upper intake manifold for sure. I am going to inspect and clean everything. I might even pull the lower intake manifold as well. If it isn't too much trouble, then I will have cleaned everything, and installed fresh gaskets. I even went and bought a new torque wrench today, since the one I had grew legs and walked off. Actually I think I let someone borrow it, and I don't remember who.
2001 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat, Crew Cab, 5.4 liter V-8 gas motor, 2WD, 410 LS Rear Axle
brd7666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 32406
Drives: 2003 SES 24V DOHC
LawnRanger is an unknown quantity at this point

I realize I was not too clear on my message. I am definitely going to change plugs and the upper intake gaskets since I have to remove it. What I am unsure on is the wires. The car runs fine but it would be a good time to do it when I have the intake off. They cost around $60. What do others recommend? I will be going back with Motorcraft plugs/wires. Also how often do the lower intake gaskets give problems? I would rather not mess with them or the fuel rail.

The thing that puzzles me is the oil on the upper intake plenum where it bolts on (nothing on the lower). We had the oil changed last week at the same time they did the coolant flush so I am wondering if they spilled some oil. It is defiantly new oil and not old. At first I assumed it was coolant because it was "golden in color" but after putting it on a white paper towel I could tell it was oil. I am going to wipe it clean tonight and see if it comes back. Would oil be up in that part of the intake? I have attached some photos.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Upper, Lower Intake Manifold and Valve Cover Gasket Replacement-leak.jpg   Upper, Lower Intake Manifold and Valve Cover Gasket Replacement-leak2.jpg  

Last edited by LawnRanger; 02-15-2011 at 09:33 AM.
LawnRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
WJC
Devoted Member

Member Number: 16719
WJC has a spectacular aura about

Change the lowers, too. The fuel rail is easy, just pick up the push-in clip tool.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 85
crackhead has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to crackhead Send a message via Yahoo to crackhead

You don't have to remove the fuel rail to replace the lower intake gaskets. There are 4(?) bolts that hole the fuel rail to the lower intake that you do not have to remove. The 4 bolts will hold the injectors between the fuel rail and lower intake.

The 4 bolts that you don't have to removed will look like the picture on the right with the metal tab coming off the fuel rail. The bolts you have to remove will not have the metal tab. The picture on the left has the bolts to remove, to the left and down from the center of the picture.

Since you will have everything off anyways replace the PCV valve and hose. The hose will have reinforcements to prevent the 90deg bend from collapsing. You can search my posts, i listed the parts and prices from rock auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.