2002 Taurus - No heat, please help. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 14732
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
kb731 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Exclamation 2002 Taurus - No heat, please help.

I have a 02 Taurus and it doesn't heat. It only blows cold air. The car temp gauge reads half way and the car does not over heat. I changed the heater pipes because they were rusty but it didn't change anything. Please help me to what could be causing the problem of no heat, because its not fun driving cold in the winter. Thanks.
kb731 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a name known to allsheila is a name known to all

Click on search feature at the top of this page and type in: clinton flush
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 33598
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1999 3.0 Vulcan OHV (pushrod)
arcticcode13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ill tell you what the problem is. Ford had a problem with the metals in the heater core and the metal blades on the water pump causing both of them to rust and get destroyed. The cause for no heat is that your heater core is clogged with rusty pieces of metal. I just did this to my car and got better heat out of it then it has ever gotten. Go to home depot and but about 20 ft of hose big enough to fit on BOTH ends of the hose leading to and from the heater core. take the hoses that are on them off and CLAMP THEM SO YOU DO NOT LOOSE YOUR COOLANT! Cut the 20 ft. long hose into half (giving you 2 10ft. pieces) Also buy hose clamps and put them on the hoses when you attach them to the heater core. Now you can take a garden hose on one of the hoses (I would suggest that you start with the on leading in the out direction of the flow of coolant) and some how make it so there are NO leaks but you can push water through the lines (make sure you have the other sides hose leading OUT OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT!) Clear hose would be a good Idea too so you can see the rust coming out of the car. Now as you push water from one side of the heater core to the other you will see lots or little bits of rust coming out of the heater core. When you see a clear flow of water then take the garden hose off the side you had it on and put it on the other side. This is called reverse flushing and after about an hour or 2 of going back and fourth I can guarantee that you will have HOT air blowing from your car. If this is not it then it could be your blend door stuck closed or just broken (hope its not this cause its a pain in the ass to fix). Keep us updated on what you do and how it has worked! I have done all the the steps that I have told you about and it worked GREAT for my car. You could have to do it 2 or 3 times before you get ALL of the rust out but its worth it compared to the cost of a new heater core.
arcticcode13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 33696
Drives: 2006 Taurus SEL Vulcan and a 2005 Taurus SE Vulcan
Benzin Bruder is an unknown quantity at this point

The "Clinton Flush" flush instructions are good too. And while it may be your blend door, it is always worthwhile to flush your heater core. It's easy, inexpensive and a good PM (preventative maintenance) practice. Even if it is your blend door you will end up diong this sooner or later - or replacing the core (not the better alternative).
Benzin Bruder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 32829
Drives: 99 Taurus Duratec SE
MikeKz is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I tried the Clinton BJ procedure and it didn't help me...rather, it was the heater door actuator not moving the door to heat position. Not saying the presidential maneuver won't work; give it a try - it's probably a good idea to rule it out and clean the core, if nothing else.

If, when you turn the heat towards hot, you hear a "clicking" from beneath the dash, then it's the door actuator. Got mine for $30 TMD from RockAuto. Let us know; I have more info on how to painlessly replace this part. Best of luck, Mike
MikeKz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 12596
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 1997 Mercury Sable LS
Monsoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticcode13 View Post
Ill tell you what the problem is. Ford had a problem with the metals in the heater core and the metal blades on the water pump causing both of them to rust and get destroyed. The cause for no heat is that your heater core is clogged with rusty pieces of metal. I just did this to my car and got better heat out of it then it has ever gotten. Go to home depot and but about 20 ft of hose big enough to fit on BOTH ends of the hose leading to and from the heater core. take the hoses that are on them off and CLAMP THEM SO YOU DO NOT LOOSE YOUR COOLANT! Cut the 20 ft. long hose into half (giving you 2 10ft. pieces) Also buy hose clamps and put them on the hoses when you attach them to the heater core. Now you can take a garden hose on one of the hoses (I would suggest that you start with the on leading in the out direction of the flow of coolant) and some how make it so there are NO leaks but you can push water through the lines (make sure you have the other sides hose leading OUT OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT!) Clear hose would be a good Idea too so you can see the rust coming out of the car. Now as you push water from one side of the heater core to the other you will see lots or little bits of rust coming out of the heater core. When you see a clear flow of water then take the garden hose off the side you had it on and put it on the other side. This is called reverse flushing and after about an hour or 2 of going back and fourth I can guarantee that you will have HOT air blowing from your car. If this is not it then it could be your blend door stuck closed or just broken (hope its not this cause its a pain in the ass to fix). Keep us updated on what you do and how it has worked! I have done all the the steps that I have told you about and it worked GREAT for my car. You could have to do it 2 or 3 times before you get ALL of the rust out but its worth it compared to the cost of a new heater core.
I like this approach. I hope the water pressure didn't blow a hole in the heater core. Yes, I've replace my blend door actuator because blend door was stuck in the hot position.

Monsoon
>> ASQ Certified Software Quality Engineer
>> 220K+ Duratec Mile Club
>> Motorcraft. What's in your ?
Monsoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 28918
Moonbeam has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Give this a try f you are still having problems. I have done everything short of replacing the heater core still no heat. Then I tried this and I have heat again. However, when you first turn the water on make sure you don't turn it on full blast. After doing this a few times and making sure the water looks clear you should be good to go.
Writeup: The Clinton Gen 3 Heater Flush
Moonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 31580
Drives: 2002 Taurus LX V6
guitarEd182 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default heat

I just went through this. and just got it fixed. every situation seems to be unique and its difficult to tell what the problem is because theres about 3 or 4 options. since you replaced the pipes, you couldnt do a flush. if you flushed it, it wouldnt solve anything because the heater core is probably clogged and the slots in the core are too small to allow liquid to flow through to clean it out. so you need to have it replaced or take 5 hours of your own time and remove your dashboard and figure it out yourself. I got lucky and found a guy on craigslist who was a ford technician who did it for cheap, and now i have blazing hot heat. Not many places replace heater cores except dealers, and they charge an arm and a leg and a half.

OOOORRRRRR, your blend door is f***ed.

Tammy.
2002 LX
guitarEd182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.