Wiper motor runs but won't move wipers - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 25397
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
dforty has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Wiper motor runs but won't move wipers

While clearing two week's of accumulated snow and ice from my 2000 Taurus, I think I detached whatever links the wiper motor to the front wipers. The motor runs but the wipers won't move. Any suggestions for fix? My regular mechanic will not be available for a few days and we have wet weather coming.
dforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 18688
steelstr45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It's probably more likely the wiper arms got stripped from trying to lift the snow. If you remove the wiper arms (one bolt each and some 'pushing while pulling' they pop right off), see if the little cogs underneath move.

If they do, the arms probably got stripped (they're made of a softer material on purpose so they're the thing that strips first).

Sometimes you can get it to work again by cleaning all the metal debris from the gear underneath.

If the gears under the arm don't turn with the motor, then you need to take the cowl off where the wiper motor is and see what's going on with the linkages.
steelstr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

On 99s, the nuts holding the wiper arms to their respective posts are 15mm. Sometimes they can loosen. If they still turn with the arms removed, you can try to resnug, but i usually slip a thin lock washer under the nut before tightening. Others have used blue loc-tite with some success. If the stud posts dont move with the arms removed and wipers activated, time to look at the linkage and motor under the cowling as stated above. I just finished earlier today replacing a broken white linkage bushing on an 04 pontiac grand am. If this turns out to be your issue, arm linkage bushings are available in assortment packs in the Help! section of most parts stores.
sheila is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 17384
Taurus2001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I had the same problem on my driver side wiper the other day. I took off the plastic cap and the nut was completely loose. Wouldn't you know it I couldn't find a 15mm socket anywhere in three different sets, all were missing, so I had to pick one up at the hardware store. I tighted it down and good to go. I was worried that I had stripped the gears or something because of trying to run them when ice has built up over the years. The wiper was broken from hitting the passenger side wiper arm so I had to replace that. An easy fix that only cost a few dollars. I was happy. If it happens again, I'm going to use some blue loctite in case I have to replace the wiper arm someday. If I used red loctite I'm sure I'd never get it off.

Last edited by Taurus2001; 02-13-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Taurus2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement