2001 Ford Taurus - NO HEAT! HELP! - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 33018
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2001
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
mustang66dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2001 Ford Taurus - NO HEAT! HELP!

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus. I've read some other posts on here and led me to try some things. I've flushed the heater core a few times, both with water and air. Both inlet & outlet hoses get hot, but still no heat. I jus checked the blend door and I can see it moving when I change the dial from hot to cold. I'm completely lost at this point. I was told by Ford that if both hoses get hot, then the heater core does work. So what else can it be? It's getting cold here in Denver and it's the wife's car

Edit: Also, I used to use the A/C just fine during the summer. Since I flushed it the first time with air hose, no air comes thru the vents anymore, only the defroster vents by the windsheild.. Kind of odd?

Appreciate the help! Mechanic shops want $97+ just to diagnose the heater problem.

Last edited by mustang66dude; 12-19-2010 at 05:41 PM.
mustang66dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 29810
Drives: 01 SE, Vulcan
01SE is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you change your thermostat?

If no air comes thru the vents, maybe you knocked one of the vacuum hoses off. Is there a clicking sound when you run the heater? If there is, gears on your blender door might be stripped.
01SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

Mode (vent) selection is controlled by vacuum. System defaults to defrost with a vac. leak. Temp. is controlled electrically with the blend door actuator.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01SE View Post
Did you change your thermostat?

If no air comes thru the vents, maybe you knocked one of the vacuum hoses off. Is there a clicking sound when you run the heater? If there is, gears on your blender door might be stripped.
No air goes thru the vents anymore, either way air is still cold from defroster. so 2 problems yes, but the heat is what i'm more concerned with right now. i took the cover off the blend door and it's hooked on just fine and moves it when i switch from cold to hot.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 12182
Drives: a Taurus
danhasenauer has a spectacular aura about

Replaced the 'stat yet?

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 33025
Drives: 2002 Taurus 3.0l OHV, Red, Sedan, Column Shift!
etanderup is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having a very similar problem, replaced the heater core, replaced all the hoses in the engine (heater hoses, radiator hoses, ect.) and also replaced the radiator and thermostat. Air blows through the vents, and I can see the blend door actuator moving, but still no heat.
(sorry to hijack this thread, I was going to make one of my own, but this seemed very similar to mine) I have a 2002 Ford Taurus, also just replaced the engine, so it has a brand new water pump, and all new seals.
etanderup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etanderup View Post
I'm having a very similar problem, replaced the heater core, replaced all the hoses in the engine (heater hoses, radiator hoses, ect.) and also replaced the radiator and thermostat. Air blows through the vents, and I can see the blend door actuator moving, but still no heat.
(sorry to hijack this thread, I was going to make one of my own, but this seemed very similar to mine) I have a 2002 Ford Taurus, also just replaced the engine, so it has a brand new water pump, and all new seals.
wow. looks like you've done everything i could possible wind up doing. my mechanic came by and says it might be a short/cross with the air hoses somewhere. we're going to disassemble the whole dash soon because he's clueless just like me.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhasenauer View Post
Replaced the 'stat yet?
not yet. mainly because i talked to a mechanic at the ford dealership and all he said "if the hoses are hot then the heater core is working" and only recommended checking the blend door actuator. no mention of a thermostat. how do you tell if it's bad?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 12182
Drives: a Taurus
danhasenauer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang66dude View Post
not yet. mainly because i talked to a mechanic at the ford dealership and all he said "if the hoses are hot then the heater core is working" and only recommended checking the blend door actuator. no mention of a thermostat. how do you tell if it's bad?
You have to take it out and test it in a pot of boiling water. If you're gonna take it out, might as well replace it. Easy DIY...

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 29810
Drives: 01 SE, Vulcan
01SE is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't even have to drain all of your coolant. Just park your car on the incline or on the ramps with nose up. You might loose up to 1 liter of coolant max. So, don't forget to top it up, when you're done with the thermostat. Also, don't forget to purchase a gasket before replacing thermostat. OEM Motorcraft is rated 197F. I think it's under a tenner from Rockauto. I've installed aftermarket thermostat, rated at 192F. But it's a failsafe thermostat. I still got no heat, even with brand new heater core, but while replacing it, I've broken two plastic pivots that control blender doors. So, as soon as I get a chance, I'll go to a junk yard to get parts.
01SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement