Squealing Noise from Serpentine Belt - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 31625
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002 Taurus SES 3.0L FFV
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
thornjl4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Squealing Noise from Serpentine Belt

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I am not able to find the info I am looking for. Here is the problem. It is a 2002 Taurus SES 3.0 FFV. After replacing the Camshaft Synchronizer, I noticed it still had a sqeak/squeal. A squeak at idle and an increasing squeal under acceleration and drive. It comes from the passenger side. I took the serpentine belt off, started the engine and there is no noise. Put the belt back on and it does it again. I replaced the serpentine belt. Still did it. I replaced the idler pulley, the belt tensioner pulley and it's still there. If any fluid gets on the belt it stops. I figured that maybe I had a bought a bad belt. I took it back, they gave me another one. There was no noise for about a week, then it started again. Sometimes, the squeal is so loud that you can hear it over the radio. I do not know what else to do. I had to find a diagram online for the belt because it is not anywhere on the car, nor is it in the manual. Going clockwise from the bottom. Crankshaft-Tensioner-Water Pump-Alternator-Idler Pulley-Power Steering-A/C-Crankshaft. Again, like I said, I know that it has to be belt related because if any fluids (I know this because I got a drop of oil on the belt from the dipstick) get on the belt, it stops for a few minutes then starts again.

Last edited by thornjl4; 11-10-2010 at 01:04 PM.
thornjl4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3575
sfhess will become famous soon enough

A little WD40 should make the noise go away.

Intact is one word. A lot is two words.

1991 Taurus LX Sedan 3.8 Titanium Frost - Taken to the pound/RIP 12/27/2012.
2011 Fusion 2.5 Auto Silver Appearance Package
1969 Cougar XR 7 351W
2014 Focus SE Hatch 2.0 GDI White Sport Package
"I had the right to remain silent, but I did not have the ability" - Ron White
sfhess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a splendid one to beholdsheila is a splendid one to behold

When you had the belt off, did you check (rotate) ea. individual pulley by hand for roughness, play, looseness, noise, etc.? With belt on, being very careful with loose clothing, hair, jewelry, etc., start engine, and with a mechanics stethoscope (available cheap at harbor freight tools) listen to ea. belt-driven component you havent replaced yet (ps, ac, water pump, and alt.) safely behind ea. individual pulley. You could also try a pc. of hose or long screwdriver or pipe held to an ear, but not as reliable. Also, with belt on, eyeball all pulleys for proper alignment.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 25163
machineop has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure if this is any help to you but i checked your description of your belt routing with a chiltons manual and you got it right.
machineop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cake monster

Member Number: 18214
Drives: none right now
JW657 is a jewel in the rough

To make sure you've put your belt on right, go here. This is the easiest way to install it incorrectly, because it will work and it almost looks like it's the way it should be, but it will squeak.

Other than that, does it sound like bearing noise or slipping? If you didn't replace the complete tensioner it might be wore and not putting the correct tension on the belt, thus causing it to slip. The alternators tend to be bad for bearings too. If it isn't your tensioner, alternator or an incorrectly aligned belt, it might be the water pump bearings. I doubt it's the P/S Pump.

JW657 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 32276
Drives: 2000 SE WAGON
arak is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
When you had the belt off, did you check (rotate) ea. individual pulley by hand for roughness, play, looseness, noise, etc.? With belt on, being very careful with loose clothing, hair, jewelry, etc., start engine, and with a mechanics stethoscope (available cheap at harbor freight tools) listen to ea. belt-driven component you havent replaced yet (ps, ac, water pump, and alt.) safely behind ea. individual pulley. You could also try a pc. of hose or long screwdriver or pipe held to an ear, but not as reliable. Also, with belt on, eyeball all pulleys for proper alignment.
Sorry to highjack your thread but Im also having the belt squeaking problem...just replaced my belt for a new Motomaster one so its not the belt...my mechanic also replaced the ps pump cause it was faulty. He put in a used one. My question is this. Is it normal that the ps pulley has a quarter inch play in and out (I checked all the pulleys before installing the new belt) My mechanic told me that the ps pulley is the only one that should have some play (is this true). I have a 2000 taurus se with the 6cyl duratec engine.

cheers!
Dave
arak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cake monster

Member Number: 18214
Drives: none right now
JW657 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arak View Post
Sorry to highjack your thread but Im also having the belt squeaking problem...just replaced my belt for a new Motomaster one so its not the belt...my mechanic also replaced the ps pump cause it was faulty. He put in a used one. My question is this. Is it normal that the ps pulley has a quarter inch play in and out (I checked all the pulleys before installing the new belt) My mechanic told me that the ps pulley is the only one that should have some play (is this true). I have a 2000 taurus se with the 6cyl duratec engine.

cheers!
Dave
Not sure about the DOHC P/S Pump. But the CII's that go on the Vulcan have shaft movement, in and out. Though, I don't think they should have that much play, all the ones I've tried had less than 1/4 of an inch play.

JW657 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 16867
Drives: 89 SHO 3.0 DOHC (Y)
jw89sho has a little shameless behaviour in the past

To the O/P and arak... Check the sring force on the tensioner as well. If it's weak, the belt will slip and cause a squeal.

Josh

Check this out...
jw89sho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 32276
Drives: 2000 SE WAGON
arak is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw89sho View Post
To the O/P and arak... Check the sring force on the tensioner as well. If it's weak, the belt will slip and cause a squeal.
thanks for your reply! The squeaking is comming (to the best of my knowledge aka hearing senses) from the ps pump that is why I was asking if play in the pulley was normal or would it be more an issue of air in the system...

thanks all!
dave
arak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a splendid one to beholdsheila is a splendid one to behold

Yes, it is normal (common) for ford ps pulleys to have some front/back slop.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.