AC compressor broke!!! - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 28398
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2002 Taurus SES Deluxe 3.0L Duratec V6
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
esv9591 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Exclamation AC compressor broke!!!

A month and a half ago my 2002 Taurus SES started making a strange rattle sound that came from the area where the serpentine belt was located. I only noticed it when the car was at around 2700-3100 RPM and only before a shift. A week later, the a new sound emerged, a constant rattle when the engine was idling. Every time the sound would appear, id look to see what was causing it, but never got a definite area, just the area around the serpentine belt. That same week the stench of burning rubber started appearing. A week later, i happened to be taking the car in for an oil change at the local Ford dealer when the car started to lose power. I pull in, tell the guy there i came to do an oil change and to see why my car was making those noises. When i go back to get my car from where i had parked, i see that theres white smoke coming out from under the hood. The serpentine belt had snapped due to the AC compressor being jammed. the burning smell was the friction on the belt caused by the jammed pully.

Repair costs according to Billy Howell Ford----$1500 to $1800

a friend of mine told me i could get a shorter Serpentine belt and bypass the AC compressor, but I'm not really sure what the consequences of that are.

Any suggestions from anyone?
esv9591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Oooooooo that's not good. So you are due for a new compressor w/new clutch & coil at minimum. Depending how polluted the system got upon explosion, you'll also could need an AC condenser, and a drier. The system will need to be fully evacuated and then recharged.

I sure as heck would tow the car to someone else to do the job, a good independent shop. It's not a fun job on the Duratec, and the easiest way is to drop the subframe on one side to get the old compressor out.

Check out the Mechanics Files @ Car Talk. Car tips, advice, and troubleshooting. if you are looking for a decent shop. Billy Howell is in Northern GA, so surely there is someone around. Heck if the indy says its cool for you to get the parts online, hop on eBay

Looking at old receipts, I got charged nearly $800 in just labor to get a new compressor/clutch/coil installed (I provided parts, $175 remanf. Ford off of eBay).

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 26577
egiroux is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem on a 2000 Vulcan. Replaced the bearing and clutch disk for about $70. Had to resurface the pulley. My front seal on the compressor was not damaged. It's hard to get to. Works great now.
egiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 28398
Drives: 2002 Taurus SES Deluxe 3.0L Duratec V6
esv9591 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Bull Geek, I have been thinking on getting another shop to do it for me. A friend of mine knows of a good mechanic around the area, so ill take it for him. I also happen to know of a guy that owns a tow truck so I shouldn't have to to worry about towing costs. Ebay does look like my best option as well to purchase the parts. At first when i heard the price range from the guy at the dealer, i thought it was a bit to steep, but when you mentioned the $800 labor charge, it sounds a tiny bit reasonable (a tiny bit since dealers are known to jack up prices)
esv9591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement