Can I drive with a busted strut spring? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 17840
Drives: 2000 Taurus SE OHV
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
rileygsp has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Can I drive with a busted strut spring?

Here is my dillema, I am visiting inlaws and away from all my tools. Just noticed that the Driver's Front strut spring is broken and clanking around.
1) Can I drive from Denver to Minneapolis (900 miles) safely like this to get back to my tools?
2) Would it be OK to only replace 1 strut and do the other when I get home?
3) How much would a mechanic charge to make this repair?
4) I just did the rear struts, are the fronts easier or harder?

My choices are to buy all the neccesary tools and do the job here, drive to Minneapolis with the strut as is, or pay a mechanic to do the work. Just 2 weeks ago I replaced the rear struts and had some issues with rust that involved my heavy duty drill and propane to get the rear pinch bolt to finally give up. Do you think rust will give me major issues with the front. Does anyone have time to post the specific socket sizes I would need to buy,
Any thoughts?
rileygsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 14564
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 1995 Taurus LX "Paddy Wagon"
Trader Score: 3 reviews
T_swensen will become famous soon enough

Crap, Taurus tripping over itself in front of the in-laws? Just get some quick-struts put in at a reputable shop. You can tell the in-laws that you are going out for a drive if you time it right.

Odds are that if you try to make the trip without getting it fixed, the spring will end up killing your tire in the middle of nowhere. And we all know that the price to fix things in the middle of nowhere is 3 to 4 times what it would cost normally. (Oh, and they usually demand cash.) Count on it costing $300 for parts and then a few hours labor.
T_swensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 17840
Drives: 2000 Taurus SE OHV
rileygsp has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Update....... Did some more researching of this sight and found out that my 2000 Taurus SE had a recall for these very front struts. This warranty is good for ten years or 150000 miles whichever comes first. Did some calling around with my VIN number and found out my Taurus has been in service for exactly 10 years and 2 weeks. Im going to try the local ford dealer to see if we can somehow forget about the extra 2 weeks. This would save me a huge headache. I've given up on the idea of driving all the way to Minnesota.
rileygsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 15982
Chapter: Northern
Drives: 2000 Sable LS Premium with '04 power
sable23 will become famous soon enough

they are not terribly hard in the front the pinch bolt does not thread into the knuckle it has a nut on the other end! i had to drill one of my rear pinch bolts out too but the fronts were cake in comparison
1989 SHO, 1983 Ranger, 1997 Contour
sable23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement