Trans problem. Cracked clutch piston? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 29682
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
buickid has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Trans problem. Cracked clutch piston?

So I read around a bit, and it would appear my friend's 99 Taurus has a cracked piston, but I'd like to confirm.

When we put it in drive, the car will go into gear and stay in gear for several seconds until it pops out and won't go back into any gear. If we turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes, we can repeat the process. This is a bummer as we just got through replacing the radiator two weeks ago...
buickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 21209
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
taurusglv6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickid View Post
So I read around a bit, and it would appear my friend's 99 Taurus has a cracked piston, but I'd like to confirm.

When we put it in drive, the car will go into gear and stay in gear for several seconds until it pops out and won't go back into any gear. If we turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes, we can repeat the process. This is a bummer as we just got through replacing the radiator two weeks ago...
I hear ya i put a new radiator in a bull only to have the forward clutch be having issues too. Though i dont know if mines the clutch piston thats going bad while driving it will suddenly looks engagement by the transmission and the engine will rev and rev while youre staying constant going 25mph down a road.

Anyway, my 93 bull is doing what you said yours is doing and im pretty sure its thet forward clutch piston. I looked into it and up untill 95 or so 96 the forward clutch piston they used in the transmission was cast alluminum! really? anyway thats prone to cracking and other bad stuff. later in 96 or so they replaced the cast alluminum with a more durable metal.

My thinking is that the piston is colder and when its warmer the piston expands becase metal like alluminum expands with heat. So when it heats up enough the crack becomes to big and you see complete gear loss. How are the bubbles on the dipstick? there should be pretty much none. If the pumps dying that could give you some of those symptoms.
taurusglv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement