2000 Ford Taurus Steering Noise - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 29469
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
jamor has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SES sedan, DOHC 24V, with 132k miles on it. I love it but I realize Im on borrowed time but I dont want to give it up. Recently when turning my steering wheel, I started hearing a bit of screeching. Now, 2 weeks later, its very loud and screeching every time I turn the steering wheel just a little bit. This is especially true when parking or slowly turning. Is this a Power steering Pump issue? Ive made sure to get all the necessary tune ups but this is a new sound. Its embarrassing and I feel like its just going to stop steering altogether at some point. My power steering fluid is fine and Ive filled it and it stays filled. Any ideas or price range to get it fixed??

Thanks!
jamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 25722
sadistic has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (jamor @ Jun 3 2010, 09:03 PM)
Quote:
I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SES sedan, DOHC 24V, with 132k miles on it. I love it but I realize Im on borrowed time but I dont want to give it up. Recently when turning my steering wheel, I started hearing a bit of screeching. Now, 2 weeks later, its very loud and screeching every time I turn the steering wheel just a little bit. This is especially true when parking or slowly turning. Is this a Power steering Pump issue? Ive made sure to get all the necessary tune ups but this is a new sound. Its embarrassing and I feel like its just going to stop steering altogether at some point. My power steering fluid is fine and Ive filled it and it stays filled. Any ideas or price range to get it fixed??

Thanks![/b]

when i replace my ps pump it said not to hold in the furthest position for more then a few seconds either left or right. or a damaged ps pump will result. mite have burned it up? this was when bleeding the air out just thought i would mention it.
sadistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

QUOTE (sadistic @ Jun 3 2010, 10:07 PM)
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks![/b]

when i replace my ps pump it said not to hold in the furthest position for more then a few seconds either left or right. or a damaged ps pump will result. mite have burned it up? this was when bleeding the air out just thought i would mention it.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks! I appreciate the response! I kinda think it might be but Ive seen in other posts about ball joints and tie rods.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 25722
sadistic has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (jamor @ Jun 3 2010, 09:12 PM)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks![/b]

[/b][/quote]

Thanks! I appreciate the response! I kinda think it might be but Ive seen in other posts about ball joints and tie rods.
[/b][/quote]
could be a wheel bearing to that has gone bad just to mention
sadistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

QUOTE (sadistic @ Jun 3 2010, 10:19 PM)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks![/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
Thanks a lot! I will keep that in mind. I appreciate it.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 29190
kgrantkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (jamor @ Jun 3 2010, 11:08 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (sadistic @ Jun 3 2010, 10:19 PM)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks![/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
Thanks a lot! I will keep that in mind. I appreciate it.
[/b][/quote]

Sounds like a belt to me.
kgrantkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 16210
Drives: 2000 SEL Duratec
hhu168 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Thanks![/b]
You are not on borrowed time if you treated your bull well.

hhu168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 29475
scalyblue has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Thanks![/b]
Have an acquaintance replicate the sound whilst in park with the hood open. Spray belt conditioner, or water, on the accessory belt. If this affects or temporarily eliminates the noise, it is likely that your accessory belt is worn out and requires replacement. There is also the possibility that the tensioner pulley is not creating enough force to retain the belt on the accessory assembly. There is yet another possibility that the power steering pump is faulty, but it should not be considered until the two easier options are reviewed.
scalyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 20769
Popeye has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The most likely cause of the rubbery sounding squeak while turning, in parking lots etc., is the upper strut mount bearing failure. When the bearing fails the spring tries to slide along the rubber spring isolator and it makes a squeaking sound. Spray some soapy water up to the top of the struts to see if it quiets the noise. If it does, you can change just the mount or you can use quick struts.

Good luck, Popeye
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement