Ac Dash Vent Problem - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 17094
Drives: 1999 Taurus SE Duratec
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Scout1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi Guys some help please. 1999 3.0 DOHC. Car has the EATC system and center console. Air will come out the defrost vents, will switch to floor and come out rear of console passenger vents, but no air out of dash vents. I have ruled out a vacuum problem, at least to the RCC. I would like to get access to the vacuum solenoid for the defrost/vent door. I would like to apply vacuum directly to the actuator to test it's operation.I had the EATC out and have looked under drivers dash to look for it. Can it be accessed without pulling the dash? I have looked for pictures but have not found any. Took a trip to the salvage yard to see if I could find a bull that had the dash removed. Found one that had the drivers side steering wheel removed and could just barely see a vacuum actuator at the top of the Heater/Ac assembly, don't know if it is the right one. Just looking for something I can check before pulling the whole dash. Thanks for any help.

Ed
Scout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 25620
lightaddict08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm not sure what the differences are between EATC and Manual, but I had my dash out the other day and Bull Geek took a bunch of pictures of the "black box" with all the blend doors and such. Give him a message asking for one of those pictures. If I remember right, it should be the actuator that has either the red or the blue vacuum line on it. I can't remember which though.
lightaddict08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Lightaddict, I saw Ricers post on removing the dash and that is going to be very helpful. It almost made it look easy. I had to pull the dash in a Chevy truck once so I know what I am getting into. They showed pictures for the right side of the dash, maybe they can post one of the driverside after removing the dash. I am pretty sure my actuator is bad and the dash has to come out. My luck though I will find I spent all weekend pulling the dash when it was something I could have gotten to without doing that.QUOTE (lightaddict08 @ May 4 2010, 01:40 PM)
Quote:
I'm not sure what the differences are between EATC and Manual, but I had my dash out the other day and Bull Geek took a bunch of pictures of the "black box" with all the blend doors and such. Give him a message asking for one of those pictures. If I remember right, it should be the actuator that has either the red or the blue vacuum line on it. I can't remember which though.[/b]
Old 05-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 25620
lightaddict08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have a writeup of my own in progress that I plan on finishing today after I finish up with my exams. But you don't have to completely remove the dash, just drop the steering column, then tilt the dash back, resting it on something, then you can squeeze in behind it and wiggle the box out. I'll PM what I have so far for the procedure.
lightaddict08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Lightaddict,
I got your message and appreciate all the work you are doing to put together a procedure to pull the heater box. All will help me in my effort to get to the vacuum actuators. I hope I don't have to pull the box completely. Thanks again.

EdQUOTE (lightaddict08 @ May 5 2010, 06:48 AM)
Quote:
I have a writeup of my own in progress that I plan on finishing today after I finish up with my exams. But you don't have to completely remove the dash, just drop the steering column, then tilt the dash back, resting it on something, then you can squeeze in behind it and wiggle the box out. I'll PM what I have so far for the procedure.[/b]
Old 05-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
soundu is on a distinguished road

Usually, when you have a [problem like this, you have either a bad vacuum motor or hose with a leak.
What is extremely helpful is a hand held pump up vacuum gauge. Auto parts stores or harbor freight has
them.

What i would do is disconnect the vacuum line feeding the HVAC under the hood and suck it down under the hood.
If the level does not not hold vacuum on the gauge, you know you have a leak under the dash.

I had one bull i worked on that the hose under the hood feeding the HVAC was bad and leaking enough to
cause function problems.

The method of test is once pumped down and stable, it should not leak down.
You can do this test on the whole system or individual vacuum motors.
On my 90, i had a leaking vacuum motor that caused the air flow to shift from
defrost to other vents as i reved up the motor.

bob
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I do have a hand vacuum pump and that was the first thing I did. I have 22 in/hg at the firewall. I still have vacuum to the RCC. I have the factory manual and if I read it right the dash vent operation is controlled by the yellow hose. I put my vacuum pump there and it holds vacuum there. I tried putting vacuum there with the car on and a/c running and could not manually get the vents to switch to the dash I wasnt able to look at it this weekend and may be two more weeks until I can get to it.

Ed
QUOTE (soundu @ May 9 2010, 02:45 PM)
Quote:
Bob,
usually, when you have a [problem like this, you have either a bad vacuum motor or hose with a leak.
What is extremely helpful is a hand held pump up vacuum gauge. Auto parts stores or harbor freight has
them.

What i would do is disconnect the vacuum line feeding the HVAC under the hood and suck it down under the hood.
If the level does not not hold vacuum on the gauge, you know you have a leak under the dash.

I had one bull i worked on that the hose under the hood feeding the HVAC was bad and leaking enough to
cause function problems.

The method of test is once pumped down and stable, it should not leak down.
You can do this test on the whole system or individual vacuum motors.
On my 90, i had a leaking vacuum motor that caused the air flow to shift from
defrost to other vents as i reved up the motor.

bob[/b]
Old 05-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 29265
rdrobertson1951@yahoo.com has a little shameless behaviour in the past

HAVE 98 TAURUS WITH SAME PROBLEM--WORKED FINE YESTERDAY NOW STUCK IN DEFROST. ANY HELP?
rdrobertson1951@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 29330
joeford has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (dopy @ May 29 2010, 02:40 PM)
Quote:
HAVE 98 TAURUS WITH SAME PROBLEM--WORKED FINE YESTERDAY NOW STUCK IN DEFROST. ANY HELP?[/b]
had the same thing on a 2000. found vacuum line under hood on the passenger side at cowl broken. repaired. works fine now. joeford
joeford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 29265
rdrobertson1951@yahoo.com has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (joeford @ May 31 2010, 09:40 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (dopy @ May 29 2010, 02:40 PM)
Quote:
HAVE 98 TAURUS WITH SAME PROBLEM--WORKED FINE YESTERDAY NOW STUCK IN DEFROST. ANY HELP?[/b]
had the same thing on a 2000. found vacuum line under hood on the passenger side at cowl broken. repaired. works fine now. joeford
[/b][/quote]
THANK YOU JOEFORD I WILL CHECK IT OUT--RIGHT BEFORE IT STUCK IN DEFROST I CUT AND REPAIRED WINDOW WASHER LINE ON THE PASSENGER SIDE--MAYBE I BROKE OR DAMAGED VACUM LINE.
rdrobertson1951@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement