Neverending Water Leak - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1296
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
93 sable has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to 93 sable

So I thought I had my water leak fixed in this car but apparently not. I bought my 04 2 years ago in winter and found out a few months later that it had the standard "taurus passenger floor water leak" issue, which rusted up my blower motor. I brought the motor back to life, replaced the cabin filter and made damn sure the cowl was sealing up against the windshield during re install. No issues for a while but occasionally water has found it's way back in. I have pulled the cowl off a few times since then to make sure I have it installed as tightly as it can be, and still find myself staring down to a soaking wet passengers floor every once in a while after a rain.

This spring we got a TON of rain (flooding everywhere) I got a total of a few gallons of water on my floor over the course of a few heavy rainstorms. There would be a HUGE puddle on my floor and I'd have to bring out like 2 or 3 bath towels to soak it all up. Usually this water was isolated to the top of the carpet, and none got underneath, but with the sheer volume of water that came in this time some got under the carpet. So 2 weekends ago I pulled out all my seats and removed the carpet from the car to let it dry out in the sun. I pulled the cowl panel off again and verified that it was sealing with the windshield, and that the rain hat over the cabin filter was pressed down and clicked into place, it looks like the updated style (same look as my 05, different from the style my 01 had). And while I was under there I replaced my cabin filter again.

Fast forward to last week.......... it rained again after all that work drying out my car and sure enough.... Water on the floor.... Cowl panel is still sealed to the windshield, water is coming out of the same place it always does, the weep hole on the bottom of the blower motor. The area where the AC drain passes through the firewall is dry, and always has been every time I've checked it.

I am so fed up with this stupid problem. I have had it on 2 Tauri. It will leak anywhere, parked uphill, downhill, at home, at work, on a day of HEAVY rain it may not leak at all; so I will be happy thinking it's fixed, and then a few weeks later it can sprinkle all day long and the floor will be SOAKED. Wipers at the top of the windshield, angled to deflect water away, or parked in their normal spot and water will still come in, seemingly at random. I could not even solve the issue on my 05 after 4 trips to the dealer and me screwing around with it just as much as I've been messing with this car.

I love my car, but it's really pissing me off right now. It has been awesome, except for this!!! Please tell me I have been overlooking something simple over these years of dealing with this sh*t, or I'm going to end up letting my anger get the best of me and probably sell it for something with a manual transmission. Or just route a hose from the blower motor weep hole right out the damn firewall

Should I just buy a new cowl piece? Every time I think I have this fixed, it's never the case and it's always back.

Sorry for the long post, haha

Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 8024
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2006 SE Flex Fuel 75k
paker has a spectacular aura about

My cowl is not sealing against the windshield, but I don't get water on the floor. Even if the seal was perfect, water would still puddle around the cabin filter housing. I think the seal just reduces the amount of water around the cabin filter housing. Did you check the rest?

1) plastic hood over the cabin filter
2) seal between the filter housing and the duct downstream

Old 04-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 15023
Drives: 2004 Taurus SES--3.0L OHV--FFV--Black
fonicsmonkey will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to fonicsmonkey Send a message via MSN to fonicsmonkey

I've been having the same problem...except my water is running onto the carpet around the a/c drain like a few others who have posted on this issue (see pic below)...I recently brought the car to the dealer to figure out where the water was coming in...they didn't help me much...they insist that my aftermarket windshield install was done incorrect and that water was leaking from my windshield...I explained to them that this is a common problem I've seen on my Taurus forum, and that I don't believe its coming from the windshield...they washed their hands clean of it, and now I'm stuck fixing it my self...If I do, I'll get back to this thread and tell how...but just know, you're not the only one going through this.

[attachment=32850hoto_031710_002.jpg]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_031710_002.jpg (178.8 KB, 1044 views)
Old 04-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 8464
goodbrosuit has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to goodbrosuit

I've had the same problem and chased the hell out of it for a few weeks, each time thinking I fixed it.

93 Sable - I'm actually heading to N. Attleboro for a birthday party today. Interesting coincidence...

But anyway, after replacing the passenger side cowl cover, sealing around where the cabin air filter seats and installing the rain hat extension from the tsb... it still leaked. But doing the previous would fix it if the blower motor was rusted. Well , it fixes one leak...

But where you're having water come in now, and where I had it coming in, is the ac drain. There is a seal between the heater box and firewall around ac drain tube. It's replaceable, but it's a pain, the ac has to be evacuated, the dash come off, the heater box removed.... i just used clear silicone sealant around the ac drain from the outside, and a lot of it. Also, just to be safe, I sealed all the nuts that hold the heater box in place on the firewall. i think I remember seeing a thread on here somewhere where someone else figured this out at some point, with pictures. I figured it out when I was working at a dealer, I replaced the heater box before I realized the seal was available seperately. But my car doesn't leak anymore, so give that a shot. Remember to install that extension from the tsb too, or you'll kill blower and some wiring. Just go to a dealer and ask for the rain hat extension, they'll know what you mean. And get a couple tubes of clear rubber silicone and a bunch of rubber gloves. Good luck!
goodbrosuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 22536
gary 55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Last summer I used exactly the same fix as goodbros posted and mine hasn't leaked since. There is a small gasket that seals the AC drain on the engine side of the firewall. Just seal around this gasket and the washer nuts also. Hope this works for you.
gary 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1296
93 sable has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to 93 sable

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I definately don't have the AC drain leak though, under my carpets is always dry unless water gets through the carpet, which has only happened twice in this car. It rained last night and I didn't get any water on the floor, but I did have a little bit of water in my blower motor this morning. Turning the blower on and then off resulted in about a teaspoon of water draining out of the weep hole and onto the floor. I drove 70 miles today with the AC on the whole time and checked under my carpets.. Still dry, so that's one good thing.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Check out the "I have the curse" thread pinned in Common Problems/Solutions. You'll get a visualization about where to put the silicone.

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 22536
gary 55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If you are having that much leakage trouble you may have to silicone under the rubber seal on the cowl.
gary 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

As I said, if you have water in the blower motor then it's coming from under the cowl and there is a tsb on it.

Oh you want to see the tsb?? Oh ok.

FORD: 2001-2004 Taurus
MERCURY: 2001-2004 Sable

This article supersedes TSB 03-15-06 to update the vehicle model years and build date information.

ISSUE:
Some vehicles built between 5/1/2001 and 12/15/2003 may exhibit water in the blower case or on the passenger side floor, an inoperative climate control blower motor, a motor that operates on high speed only, and/or a blower motor resistor failure.

ACTION:
Inspect and seal cowl area and install Rain-Hat Extension Seal. Inspect and replace blower motor and/or blower motor resistor if there is evidence of water/corrosion. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Access blower motor and resistor per the Workshop Manual Sections 412-02 and 412-04. Inspect for evidence of water/corrosion. If water/corrosion are found or parts have failed, replace per Workshop Manual (blower motor 1F1Z-19805-AA and resistor F6DZ-19A706-AA).
Visually inspect the Cowl Vent Screen located under the RH windshield wiper to verify if the screen is fully seated. Inspect the rubber seal on the vent screen which should be fully seated against the windshield. If the cowl vent screen is not fully seated and appears warped, it must be replaced (4F1Z-54018A16-BAA).
Remove the cowl vent screen per the Workshop Manual Section 412-01 Pollen Filter Removal and inspect the cabin filter to confirm it is fully seated. Re-seat the filter as necessary. Inspect rain-hat base to make sure it is secure and sealed to the body. Reposition and reseal as necessary using Clear Silicone Rubber TA-32.
Remove the foam sealant expulsion at lower front outboard corner base of the rain-hat (Figure 1).

Figure 1 - Article 04-15-3

Locate the tape as shown (Figure 2). Remove the tape and apply Clear Silicone Rubber TA-32 to the small hole as shown (Figure 2).

Figure 2 - Article 04-15-3

Install the Rain-Hat Extension Seal or Shed Lip Seal 4F1Z-54022A54-AA to the outboard edge of the rain-hat (see Figure 2 for installation). The 10 mm by 10 mm (0.5" by 0.5") cut area, located 25 mm (1") from the end of the seal, will face down and locate at the 90 degree bend of the rain-hat on the fender side (Figure 3).

Figure 3 - Article 04-15-3

Prior to installation of the cowl vent screen, verify that the cabin filter cover is properly snapped in place and the clip is located on the inboard side, (toward the center of the bulkhead), the cover will feel loose if not properly snapped in place. Reinstall the cowl vent screen per Section 412-01 of the Workshop Manual.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
1F1Z-19805-AA Blower Motor
F6DZ-19A706-AA Resistor
4F1Z-54022A54-AA Rain-Hat Seal
4F1Z-54018A16-BAA Cowl Panel
TA-32 Clear Silicone Rubber
Old 04-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Holy copyright infrigement Batman!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif fig1.gif (8.3 KB, 859 views)
File Type: gif fig2.gif (16.6 KB, 851 views)
File Type: gif fig3.gif (8.6 KB, 707 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement