Burning Oil Odor From Vents. - Page 4 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #31 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 26577
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
egiroux is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbaco View Post
Egiroux,

Thank you for the feedback.

I had the valve cover gasket replaced over a year ago. Replacing the gasket did not improve the issue.

I was also told by the shop I took my car to that there was some type of leak in the transmission lines.

I spent $500.00 dollars and nothing was resolved. Of course the shop I took it to did not feel any obligation to obsorb the cost for guessing. I have not been back to the shop in question.

Does transmission fluid burn off smell the same as oil burn off?

Thank you again for your feedback.

Walbaco
I don't think trans fluid can leak onto the exhaust unless it is leaking from the cooler lines near the radiator. I had some ATF from the power steering get on the exhaust and it smelled different than oil when it burned. Did you degrease the motor and look for new leaks? Another poster suggested coating suspect areas with baby powder to look for fresh leaks. Also, you could try flourescent dye in the oil and a black light. Good luck in your search.
egiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member Number: 9814
tbob49 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have just read all these posts having done a search for problems with power steering. I have a similar problem with my '02 SE with the Vulcan engine. My daughter came home last night complaining of a burnt smell. I popped the hood and saw ps fluid pooled in the cap of the power steering fluid tank as if it had blown out what looks to be a vent hole on the cap. The fluid was low--and I recalled I had topped it off a couple weeks ago. No leaks are apparent around the tank or pump body. The burnt smell was the fluid leaking down on a hot pipe I guess.

What gives? It was very cold last night--in the single digits. The cap doesn't seem real tight on the neck. When it is tightened down I can still rock it a bit. The power steering pump makes no noise and works fine.

Any suggestions?
tbob49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member Number: 27443
walbaco has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Everyone,

Thank you for all of your input. I think I found out where my burning oil smell is coming from. It actually maybe coming from two sources. A friend of mine is a manager at a quick lube. While have my car in for routine tranmission service he found two places where there was oil leaking. One place was at the oil pan and the other was at the rack and pinion. The burning smell is for sure coming from the rack and pinion leak. The leak drips directly on to a part of the exaust. In fact there was a black stain on the exhaust from where the leak has been dripping. The oil pan leak maybe causing some burning smell from the oil being blown on to part of the exhaust. There was no concreate proof that the oil pan leak was the culprit of the smell. I was told I could create some type of shield to redirect the leak at the rack and pinion. The leak is small enough that my friend did not think it was worth the cost to replace the rack and pinion. The oil pan was snugged up and a additive added that expands the gasket to seal any leaks. I was not to sure about the additive, but I trust my friend. I have not come up with some type of shield yet. If I can figure out a way of creating a shield I will let you know how it works.

Walbaco
walbaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member Number: 27456
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 'kate' is a 2002, DOHC 3.0 SEL
taurus2002_taz has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Burning oil smell

I had to change a vacuum tube that fell onto the EGR tube and melted... I had a faint whistle when I was driving in for example an alley, with garages on both sides. Replacing the hose and zip ties this time keeps it off that tube. Problem went away immediately. However, I am still dealing with this paranormal misfire when the ac is on or the defrost and heat's on...
I used ends from spark plug wires to replace both pcv elbows on front and back valve covers... the boots that the wires attach to the coil... They are an awesome exact fit and are designed to take the heat. I also used a spring inside the the pcv elbow under the Intake plenum to keep it from collapsing as it tends to do...

Last edited by taurus2002_taz; 02-26-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: also replaced valve cover pcv hole gromet
taurus2002_taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member Number: 13353
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002 Taurus SE with the Vulcan 3.0 V6 (155 HP); almost 134k on her
kspencerjr has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to kspencerjr
Lightbulb

Quote:
I own a 2003 Ford Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan Engine. Occasionally when stopped and with the heater running I smell an odor like burning oil It kind of smells like when you spill oil on hot manifold. I took the car to a local shop and they have replaced the gaskets to the valve cover and said they corrected a miss-routed hose for the transmission. I questioned the miss-routed hose to the transmission, I was told that the hose was connected wrong and that transmission fluid was coming out of the transmission dip stick.
I spend approximately $500.00 dollars and the issue is not resolved. At this point I refuse to take the car back to the same shop. I canít afford to pay for the shop in question to guess at the problem of the issue and keep charging me.

With that said, has anyone encountered this issue? I did search the forum on this site and seen various things. I am just curious if this is a common issue with the later model Taurus. I currently have 106,000 mile on my car.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

Walbaco
I had that same issue when I first got my 02 with the Vulcan - Mine happened to be the oil pan gasket - And like you, it was only at lights, and intermittent. When they took off the old one, it wasn't quite paper thin but darned close (Skimpy Ford!) - The new one is like 5x as thick and seems a better quality gasket. I think it was around $20 at Autozone, and after it was replaced the smell was gone!

Hope this can help you in some way!
2002 Taurus SE - 3.0 Vulcan, 133600+ miles; new tie rods, ball joints, rear struts, sway bar links on driver's side. Planning on adding a spoiler, tint, and a new paint job (Burnt Sienna). Updated as completed!

3/4/11: Motor in driver's mirror, whole pass mirror-Driver only goes left & right, pass works but heat doesnt and no puddle light!
kspencerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #36 (permalink)

Hello Kspencerjr,

Your suggestion did help. Like you the issue was the oil pan gasket. The leak was very small, but when it drips on the exhaust it stinks. I replaced the oil pan filter with some help from my Brother In Law. It took us about 5 hours. I am glad this issue is resolved. I am planning on giving the car to my Daughter. I was hesitant to give it to her with this issue.

Thank you again for your suggestion.

Walbaco
Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #37 (permalink)

Hello Taurus2002 Taz,

Thank you for the suggestion. The issue ended up being the oil pan gasket. I hear the oil pan gasket is a common issue.

Walbaco
Old 09-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member Number: 41765
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SE 111,000 miles.
CarlyJean is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Mine too!

My 2003 Ford Taurus does this too. No one can seem to identify the problem..... I am so freaked out it is something bad.
CarlyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member Number: 41765
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SE 111,000 miles.
CarlyJean is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb

Quote:
Hello Taurus2002 Taz,

Thank you for the suggestion. The issue ended up being the oil pan gasket. I hear the oil pan gasket is a common issue.

Walbaco

Wouldn't it cause oil to leak onto the ground if it was the oil pan gasket?
CarlyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #40 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35327
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2007 sel
Trader Score: 2 reviews
Bigdogg2830 is a jewel in the rough

it could be a couple of things. an oil leak, oil on the engine from an oil change. a bad gasket. i suggest starting a new thread so we dont have to read all the old stuff
Bigdogg2830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement