05 Taurus Fuel Filter To Fuel Line Retaining Clips - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 15680
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
rcp7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Made a huge tactical error yesterday replacing the fuel filter on my 05 Taurus and did not realize I needed a tool to release fuel line from fuel filter on the side going to engine. Was using old Haynes manual that illustrated using small screwdriver to remove retaining clip which was correct on fuel pump side of filter, doing that on fuel line side broke both of the retaining clips which has presented a huge problem that I hope someone can help me with.
Went to a few auto parts store yesterday and no one had the clips I needed so I visited local Ford Dealer this morning who informed me that I needed a tool to slip over fuel line that would release pressure on the clips allowing the line to be disconnected from the filter. Bad news is parts guy said the retaining clips are part of the fuel line and not sold separately.
Ford dealer is happy to sell me a new fuel line for $200, not my first choice.
Has anyone made this same stupid mistake and were you able to get the two retaining clips from somewhere?
rcp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 15023
Drives: 2004 Taurus SES--3.0L OHV--FFV--Black
fonicsmonkey will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to fonicsmonkey Send a message via MSN to fonicsmonkey

You don't need a 'special tool' to remove the clips...a small screwdriver works...the line with 2 clips on it is the more difficult line...you have to remove one clip on that line, and press on the other one while pulling the line off the filter...this link below will explain the removal for future reference.
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry608925

This thread below discusses the clips and where you can buy new ones...I believe Wix makes the clips...read on...
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=64355
Old 03-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

The clips referenced in the link are for the side where only one clip is used, I also need clips on connector that has a top and bottom clip. Those clips are wider and one is slightly shorter that the other.

QUOTE (fonicsmonkey @ Mar 22 2010, 08:32 AM)
Quote:
You don't need a 'special tool' to remove the clips...a small screwdriver works...the line with 2 clips on it is the more difficult line...you have to remove one clip on that line, and press on the other one while pulling the line off the filter...this link below will explain the removal for future reference.

This thread below discusses the clips and where you can buy new ones...I believe Wix makes the clips...read on...
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=64355[/b]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel_Line_Retaing_Clips.jpg (135.4 KB, 2577 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel_Line_Retaing_Clips_1.jpg (3.2 KB, 1070 views)
Old 03-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

QUOTE (Bob P @ Mar 22 2010, 09:39 AM)
Quote:
The clips referenced in the link are for the side where only one clip is used, I also need clips on connector that has a top and bottom clip. Those clips are wider and one is slightly shorter that the other.

Quote:

[/b][/quote]

huh...I thought the replacement clips discussed in the thread were for the line with the two clips. Those stupid clips are what helped me find this website a couple years ago...The one that is slightly raised off the line is the one that gets pryed out...and the other one is the one you press on while you remove the line. Perhaps a salvage yard in your area has a taurus you could take these clips off of...I'm not positive...but I think they are on 03-07 vehicles.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Made a trip to another Ford dealer by my office and turned out they had the wide clip in stock even though P/N is not called out in parts diagram.

4F1Z-9A317-AA is wide clip in picture above on the tank side of filter, about $10

2F1Z-9A317-BA is skinny clip on fuel line side of filter going to engine, about $7 and that is the one you can find at many parts stores in aftermarket packages by Dorman.

The second wide clip that is slightly shorter and works with 4F1Z-9A317-AA on opposite side barely survived but should be reusable at this point to get me running again. May put a cable tie around to keep it in place just in case.

QUOTE (fonicsmonkey @ Mar 22 2010, 11:02 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Bob P @ Mar 22 2010, 09:39 AM)
Quote:

Quote:

[/b][/quote]

huh...I thought the replacement clips discussed in the thread were for the line with the two clips. Those stupid clips are what helped me find this website a couple years ago...The one that is slightly raised off the line is the one that gets pryed out...and the other one is the one you press on while you remove the line. Perhaps a salvage yard in your area has a taurus you could take these clips off of...I'm not positive...but I think they are on 03-07 vehicles.
[/b][/quote]
Old 03-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Glad it worked out for you
Old 04-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 14706
yoda has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My dealer had a huge bag of the skinney clips, and gave me 2 for free out of a bulk package.

But he had never seen or heard of the other one. Had to order it ($10).

So next week I get to take off the zip tie
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dox

Member Number: 29768
Drives: 2005 SE 3.0
Dox is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel your pain. I did the same thing last year. The clips were different on each end of the filter. I found the part numbers to be:

Tank side retaining clip, Ford #4F1Z-9A317-AA.
Engine side clip, Ford #2F1Z-9A317-AA.

I am doing a search to find them now. I've only found one so far.

-Dox
Dox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 22013
Sweny has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Same problem here. Those part numbers are spot on, cost me $15.00 from a local dealer, only two in chicagoland.
Sweny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 21728
lee231 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Had the same thing about two weeks ago on my 06. Had to go to two different dealers to get them. Cost me about $13 bucks for them.
lee231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement