Serpentine Belt Area Grinding Noise - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 21902
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
yangjianhunt has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi there,
I've got a 2000 Taurus SE with vulcan engine.
Just during this winter, some squeaking/grinding/rattling noise came up under the hood on the passenger side.
I popped the hood, confirmed that the noise was from the vicinity of the drive belt, but couldn't tell which pulley or the belt.

I've installed a new water pump 4 months ago. I've also put on a new serpentine belt and a new tensioner pulley 2 weeks ago.
So I can safely say those are not the culprit?

I've had this type of noise during the past winters but it was mild. It would go away when the car warmed up.
This year is getting severe. It starts up when car is started.

Also, when I accelerate during driving, the frequency and intensity of noise increases! occasionally, when I stop the car on a red light, the noise goes away, but not always.
I tried to turn the AC on, it didn't help.

I've read a december 2009 post on this forum. People suggested the catalyst converter. Is this part underneath the car or at the back of the car ?
People suggested loose AC pulley bolts. I guess I can check that.

Is it possible the pulley is slipping due to cold weather ? Maybe I should change the belt again. which brand do you guys recommend ?
Some people suggest to put on a bit of soap water on the belt to see if noise goes away. I guess will check that too. the ridges on the main pulley seemed shiny. But I wonder that's normal.

Thanks for reading!

yangjianhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 is a jewel in the rough

Don't put soap on the belt. All that will more then likely do is cause a light chirp noise when it dries. Check your idler pulley, A/C pulley, and alternator pulley. Any of those could have a bad bearing in them.

The converters are under the car, toward the front.

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 21902
yangjianhunt has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thanks, Intimidator.

Can I put a just a little soapy water to test if the slipping belt is the cause of the noise ?
When I accelerate the car, will the crankshaft pulley turn faster(all other pulleys as well) ?
If that's case, that might explain the higher frequency of noise during acceleration.
Maybe the spring in the automatic tensioner is getting weak hense a loose belt?
Jian

QUOTE (the_intimidator_02 @ Feb 19 2010, 02:57 PM)
Quote:
Don't put soap on the belt. All that will more then likely do is cause a light chirp noise when it dries. Check your idler pulley, A/C pulley, and alternator pulley. Any of those could have a bad bearing in them.

The converters are under the car, toward the front.[/b]
yangjianhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 is a jewel in the rough

As RPM increases, yes all other pulleys will turn faster as well. I highly doubt your belt is the cause of the noise. A slipping belt won't cause anything similar to a grind/rattle.

You can try adding just water to the belt. I do not recommend adding any soap to it. When the soapy water mix dries it will leave a film on the belt and in most cases will cause a chirping noise that can last a while. Just my experience from detailling cars.

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1296
93 sable has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to 93 sable

I'd take the belt off and start the engine, if the noise is gone then you know it's not related to the drive belt or any of it's accessories. Don't run the engine for too long though, your water pump won't be turning.

If you don't hear the noise then shut the engine off and start spinning pulleys by hand, they all shoud spin freely and smoothly by hand. If any have a gritty grindy feeling, are wobbly, or are pretty tough to turn then you have found your issue.

If the noise is still there then hopefully the lack of noise from the stopped accessories will help you pinpoint it.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 20769
Popeye has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Besides the tensioner pulley there is also an idler pulley. The bearing can fail and become rough. Remove the belt and spin each pulley separately to listen. The rubberised mounts for the a/c clutch plate can fail allowing the plate to contact the pulley which will make a scuffing sound.

Good luck, Popeye
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
soundu is on a distinguished road

[quote]
I'd take the belt off and start the engine, if the noise is gone then you know it's not related to the drive belt or any of it's accessories. Don't run the engine for too long though, your water pump won't be turning.

I think you said just the opposite of what you wanted to say. If you remove the drive belt and the noise goes away, it IS something that the belt is turning.

I suppose its possible if the tensioner was bad, that it has already worn your water pump shaft eccentric and the impeller is rubbing on the housing.
That would definitely be a scrapping noise. I would also turn the A/C on and off to see if the noise changed. It could be a a Ac pulley/clutch issue.
Spin the alternator by hand and listen for crunchy noises also.

bob
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement