Do Ford Taurus's Suck As A Car? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 17738
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
skrilla412 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I just want to know in eveyone's expeirence with Ford Taurus's, if their a good car to own or is there always something wrong with them that you have to fix?? I had my Taurus for only 1 year now and it has 90,000 miles on it. I already to replce the rear brake drums, both lower ball joints, torque converter, pump shaft, new tires, i had to replace the both front and rear brakes twice and replace the spring kit on the rear drum brakes many times becuase they kept coming apart, I replaced the flex pipe in the exhaust, and replaced the actual muffler.

The car ran fine, no slippage in the gears when sifting, then suddenly my tranny died and had to replace some expensive parts to get it back up an running.

Do this happen all the time with Taurus, is it just an endless cycle of getting things fixed???
skrilla412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You could own a Yugo.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 1387
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1997 Ford Taurus GL 2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium
firespirit has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to firespirit Send a message via MSN to firespirit Send a message via Yahoo to firespirit

Or a daewoo.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 6881
Chapter: Eastern Canada
Drives: 1995 Ford Taurus Station Wagon. >:)
Trader Score: 1 reviews
tauruskev will become famous soon enough

QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Feb 2 2010, 11:52 AM)
Quote:
You could own a Yugo.[/b]
I heard Yugos were actually nice cars, just slow.

Fun fact, Toyotas will never die. NEVER DIE.
This fact brought to you by the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company
tauruskev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 18682
Jh8909 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (Skrilla @ Feb 2 2010, 12:47 PM)
Quote:
I just want to know in eveyone's expeirence with Ford Taurus's, if their a good car to own or is there always something wrong with them that you have to fix?? I had my Taurus for only 1 year now and it has 90,000 miles on it. I already to replce the rear brake drums, both lower ball joints, torque converter, pump shaft, new tires, i had to replace the both front and rear brakes twice and replace the spring kit on the rear drum brakes many times becuase they kept coming apart, I replaced the flex pipe in the exhaust, and replaced the actual muffler.

The car ran fine, no slippage in the gears when sifting, then suddenly my tranny died and had to replace some expensive parts to get it back up an running.

Do this happen all the time with Taurus, is it just an endless cycle of getting things fixed???[/b]
go buy a honda then kid.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 14564
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 1995 Taurus LX "Paddy Wagon"
Trader Score: 3 reviews
T_swensen will become famous soon enough

After all of the major things are replaced, you just do the little stuff that comes with owning any car. Most of the problems that you mentioned would be likely to need replacing in any car that is 14 years old, even with there being less than 100,000 miles on it. Stuff wears out and breaks and you just hope that they don't happen to wear out/break all at the same time. Just keep a keen eye on everything and hopefully you won't just take the mechanic's word for it when he says you "need" to fix/replace something. Some stuff can wait until you have the money saved up in the bank, while others are very safety-related and need to be taken care of asap.
T_swensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 15047
gerryb has a spectacular aura about

It doesn't matter what car you own.You WILL always have repairs to make.I have had no major problems what so ever with mine.So far it has been the BEST car I have ever owned.
gerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 8364
Chapter: Please Select a Region:
Drives: 2005 sel
Trader Score: 2 reviews
godfather will become famous soon enough

78,000 miles and no shop time yet on mine other than a tune up and a battery
plus im on my 2nd set of tires

2002 GRAND MARQUIS GS
2005 CTS-V LS6 6 SPEED

WHAT'S MINE IS MINE AND WHATS YOURS IS MINE
godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP...... You have a 13 year old car with close to 100K miles. What do you expect? Tires, ball joints, brakes, etc are not repairs, they are regular maintanance any older car needs. If you had to replace brakes twice in a year, and the rear drum hardware falls off, the jobs were done incorrectly or inferior quality or incorrect parts were used. Granted, the A4AS and A4XN arent the best FWD trannies made, but with proper maintanance, can last a long time.

As others have said, ALL cars need repairs, and more often as they get up in age. Neglect regular maintance, constantly drive it like you stole it (this possibly goes mostly for the previous owner, not you) and problems will mount more quickly.

My experience, having owned (and owning) a number of Tauri, they are very reliable and comfortable family cars. I have never had any kind of tranny problem with any of them. Heck, my 87 year old mother drives a 95 Vulcan that my parents owned since new. The only repair (NOT including regular maintanance items!!!) I have had to make to the 15 year old Bull is a new CCPS a few years back to get the A/C working again. BTW, I have NEVER had to add one drop if R134a in the 15 years it has been under my care.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mad Vulcan Power!

Member Number: 16632
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2005 Taurus SEL, 1987 Sable LS
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Brian_05_SEL is a jewel in the rough

That's car ownership; everything you've named is a maintenance item or a typical repair for a car with that age/mileage. It's a 13-14 year old car, and for all except the last year it was someone else's responsibility. I'm gonna hazard a guess that your car came from a road salt-intensive area, and that the previous owner was pretty lax on doing regular maintenance. Unfortunately, Tauruses tend to get thrashed by people who buy them as a cheap used-car to be driven as a beater, so buying an old one after multiple past owners is an exercise in frustration until you've finished fixing what they didn't bother to. Take care of the car and stay on the maintenance, and you should be fine from here on out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement