Help! Door Ajar Courtesy Lights Won't Go Out - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 25928
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
jkm3093 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Our 1996 Taurus GL started intermittently giving the door ajar indicator light and the courtesy lights stay on until the battery saver relay cuts it out. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it act normally. I tried to check if one of the door ajar switches went bad by checking resistance to ground, but could not locate the problem. How common is it for the generic electronic module (GEM) to go bad? I don't plan on giving the stealership the $410 he wants for a new one. Can the GEM be reset (rebooted) by disconnecting the battery? Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
jkm3093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 6 reviews
Bull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Common problem. Spray the door latches down with Wd-40, then spray some white lithium grease. Open/close the doors multiple times after applications of each. Remember to check under Topic Finder
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | OHV/AOD | 180K ish?

Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jan 25 2010, 11:51 PM)
Quote:
Common problem. Spray the door latches down with Wd-40, then spray some white lithium grease. Open/close the doors multiple times after applications of each. Remember to check under Topic Finder [/b]
Thanks, I'll try that. I assume I can spray it in from the outside of the door & don't have to take off the inner panels to spray it from there?

BTW, I did try searching before posting, but nothing came back.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 6 reviews
Bull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

QUOTE (jkm3093 @ Jan 26 2010, 07:05 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jan 25 2010, 11:51 PM)
Quote:
Common problem. Spray the door latches down with Wd-40, then spray some white lithium grease. Open/close the doors multiple times after applications of each. Remember to check under Topic Finder [/b]
Thanks, I'll try that. I assume I can spray it in from the outside of the door & don't have to take off the inner panels to spray it from there?

BTW, I did try searching before posting, but nothing came back.
[/b][/quote]
Yea just spray right onto/into the latch mechanism inside the door. Door panel removal is un-necessary.
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | OHV/AOD | 180K ish?

Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 23949
nobull5393 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I dnt know if your problem is fixed yet...but my dad had the exact same prob when he owned his 97 taurus GL...he had to change the courtesy light switch in both front doors, the prob was the switches would stick open....unfortunately this involves removing the door panel to get to the whole door latch/actuator assembly since the switch is in there, but hopefully sprayin lube will help it....it looks like this to give you an idea http://info.rockauto.com/Motorcraft/...tml?SW5195.jpg
Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

QUOTE (NoBull5393 @ Jan 26 2010, 10:09 PM)
Quote:
I dnt know if your problem is fixed yet...but my dad had the exact same prob when he owned his 97 taurus GL...he had to change the courtesy light switch in both front doors, the prob was the switches would stick open....unfortunately this involves removing the door panel to get to the whole door latch/actuator assembly since the switch is in there, but hopefully sprayin lube will help it....it looks like this to give you an idea http://info.rockauto.com/Motorcraft/...tml?SW5195.jpg[/b]
I haven't had a chance to spray the latches yet. That's next. I also strongly suspect the driver's door ajar switch and already had the inner panel off. I couldn't reach the switch connector to take it off, so I unbolted the latch mechanism but couldn't pull it out without a major disassembly of the window tracks, mechanism, etc. So I gave up on that & buttoned it back up.

I have the service manual with wiring diagrams, connector pin outs, etc. Next I disconnected the connectors at the GEM (located at the fuse junction box under the dash) & tried to check continuity to ground for the various door switches (they provide ground signals to the GEM when the door is open). But, I couldn't get the signals to change to closed state (I already found mistakes in the manual and may have been chasing the wrong wires). I'm pretty frustrated that I haven't pinned the problem down yet after several hours trying.

In the end it's either the switch sticking like Bull Geek said, bad switch, or a bad GEM. I hope Bull Geek is right! I'll post again when I know more. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 15023
Drives: 2004 Taurus SES--3.0L OHV--FFV--Black
fonicsmonkey will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to fonicsmonkey Send a message via MSN to fonicsmonkey

Bull Geek is probably 99.9% right on this....That one issue has probably brought more new members here than any other one.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

QUOTE (fonicsmonkey @ Jan 27 2010, 09:55 AM)
Quote:
Bull Geek is probably 99.9% right on this....That one issue has probably brought more new members here than any other one.[/b]
I wouldn't doubt that one bit - So I went to check the problem again but it was working normally. I sprayed down the latches as Bull Geek suggested, and it is still fine. Being intermittent reinforces that it was only a sticking problem. Hopefully problem solved!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, 5 days later and still no problem - it looks like problem solved!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 20022
Drives: 03 SEL Vulcan Wagon 06 SEL Sedan
davepett has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Glad to hear your problem went away. This has happened to me last winter and again this winter.

I had a "bad" switch in the front passenger door over the Holidays that forced me to replace the switch.

The previous winter I had the "door ajar" light go on several times......walking around the car and checking the doors pointed to the same door each time. Advice from this site helped get me through the winter without it reoccurring.

A month ago it happened again..... but would not stop by the lube method .....so I took it in for repair. Mechanic couldn't identify which door had the problem so I took a chance and had them replace the front passenger switch.

Cost was $20 for the part and $70 for the labor. Mechanic said the replacement switch was a new design with a rubber type sleeve to stop moisture from getting in.

Problem went away completely.

Mechanic mentioned that the switch was incased in ice (we had periods of rain and snow over the holidays).

Should I be looking for leaks around the Window seal??

davepett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement