Throwing Obd Code P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 25928
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
jkm3093 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi all,

I was going through the OBD codes on my daughter's 1996 GL (3.0 12-valve). There is a code P0340 - camshaft position sensor. The car runs fine, so I'm confused how it could be bad. It has 143K miles on it, but no squeak or chirp from the synchronizer gear so I don't think I need to replace that. Should I replace only the sensor? I don't feel like replacing the synchro gear if it doesn't need it. Comments?

Thanks, Jim
jkm3093 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Bump - How can the car run OK with a bad camshaft position sensor?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 is a jewel in the rough

Remove the cam sensor off of the synchronizer and check it for damage. If there is damage then the sensor and synchronizer needs to be replaced. The synchronizer drives the oil pump as well.

Was the SES light on when you were checking code(s)? The car will run all right without the input of the cam sensor, it will have harder starts and lack power as the fuel injectors revert to a default setting.

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 8134
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
ricer333 will become famous soon enough

QUOTE (jkm3093 @ Jan 26 2010, 10:53 AM)
Quote:
Bump - How can the car run OK with a bad camshaft position sensor?[/b]

I'm sitting at roughly the same as your car (143,000). I have yet to hear a chirp and I've had the car since 63,000 miles. They tend to squeak between 100,000 and 150,000.

It's honestly best to order the Motorcraft part (from my reading and researching on here) or another quality brand. The Dorman's are not good (there is a sticky at the top of the page warning you of it).

I would just replace the entire shaft if you are getting the code. Best to error on the $100 safe side than not supplying oil to your engine (from the oil pump which is driven by the Camshaft Position Sensor and Shaft).

There are tons of write-ups on here on how to remove it and replace it without getting the 1st cylinder to TDC.

~matt
ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 25947
cynfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi,
Newbie here. I have an 03 Taurus. I had clutch and transmission work done two months ago. Everything has been fine, then all of a sudden two days ago my MIL light comes on. I went to Autozone and got the codes P0340 and P1336. Would any of these have anything to do with the tranny work or is it just something completely on its own? I have no problems with idling or power.

Thanks,
tony
cynfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 8134
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
ricer333 will become famous soon enough

QUOTE (cynfan @ Jan 26 2010, 03:47 PM)
Quote:
Hi,
Newbie here. I have an 03 Taurus. I had clutch and transmission work done two months ago. Everything has been fine, then all of a sudden two days ago my MIL light comes on. I went to Autozone and got the codes P0340 and P1336. Would any of these have anything to do with the tranny work or is it just something completely on its own? I have no problems with idling or power.

Thanks,
tony[/b]

I'm sure you didn't mean to hijack the thread, but what you may want to do is replace the CPS and shaft (the entire unit). It is a good possibility that both codes are alerting you to the CPS and shaft are failing.

http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?show...33&hl=P1336

Also, I doubt that these codes are due to the work you had done, unless wiring wasn't done right (some kind of ground issue). If these codes were thrown by the work done, it would not have taken 2 months. Those codes are thrown pretty quickly once issues arise with the CPS. I'm just guessing here but you probably have roughly 72,000-105,000 miles on your bull. It's legitimate for this part to go around then. Some, like me, just have it go later than others.
ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

QUOTE (the_intimidator_02 @ Jan 26 2010, 12:36 PM)
Quote:
Remove the cam sensor off of the synchronizer and check it for damage. If there is damage then the sensor and synchronizer needs to be replaced. The synchronizer drives the oil pump as well.

Was the SES light on when you were checking code(s)? The car will run all right without the input of the cam sensor, it will have harder starts and lack power as the fuel injectors revert to a default setting.[/b]
Thanks guys for your input. Yes, the SES light has been on for probably the 3 years my daughter has owned the car. Maybe it is running on default settings, but it doesn't start hard, acceleration seems normal and gas mileage is in the 20's from what she told me. So it's clear the cam position sensor should be changed, but I'm still not clear as to why the synchronizer gear should be changed out. Only as a precaution since I'm in there anyway and the car has 143k miles? What damages the synchronizer and puts the oil pump at risk? I thought it was insufficient lubrication that shows up as the chirping, but that's not a problem (yet). Maybe I'm answering my own question.

The other OBD codes are related to the bank 1 O2 sensor. Is that the one by the radiator?

Thanks again for the assistance.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 is a jewel in the rough

^^^The oil pump is not at risk unless the chirp is really there and/or there is play in the synchronizer. Even if the chirping is there it does take a bit before the oil pump will fail, but none the less why take the chance. You do not need to remove the synchronizer unless there is damage, which is why I recommend removing the cam sensor. If there is no damage, I'd try clearing the code and see if it comes back then go from there.

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 25947
cynfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (ricer333 @ Jan 26 2010, 03:58 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (cynfan @ Jan 26 2010, 03:47 PM)
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,
tony[/b]

I'm sure you didn't mean to hijack the thread, but what you may want to do is replace the CPS and shaft (the entire unit). It is a good possibility that both codes are alerting you to the CPS and shaft are failing.

http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?show...33&hl=P1336

Also, I doubt that these codes are due to the work you had done, unless wiring wasn't done right (some kind of ground issue). If these codes were thrown by the work done, it would not have taken 2 months. Those codes are thrown pretty quickly once issues arise with the CPS. I'm just guessing here but you probably have roughly 72,000-105,000 miles on your bull. It's legitimate for this part to go around then. Some, like me, just have it go later than others.
[/b][/quote]

ricer333,

No, I didn't mean to hijack anything. I saw the p0340 in the first post and just thought I'd keep it going here...

Thanks for the input, I'll have the CPS and shaft checked out.

tm
cynfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 07:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

QUOTE (the_intimidator_02 @ Jan 26 2010, 06:40 PM)
Quote:
^^^The oil pump is not at risk unless the chirp is really there and/or there is play in the synchronizer. Even if the chirping is there it does take a bit before the oil pump will fail, but none the less why take the chance. You do not need to remove the synchronizer unless there is damage, which is why I recommend removing the cam sensor. If there is no damage, I'd try clearing the code and see if it comes back then go from there.[/b]
I'll check the sync gear shaft for play when I have the sensor off. Other than not wanting to spend $150 needlessly, I'm of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school. Especially if it gives ample warning via chirping first. Also, I've heard of others having a failed replacement gear in 25k miles for whatever reason. Once I've gone in there once to do the sensor, the second time if needed for the sync gear should be easier.

Also, The other OBD codes being thrown are related to the bank 1 O2 sensor. Is that the one by the radiator? I'll be replacing that as well to get the CEL to go off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.