Water Core Bypass Line? Why? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 25355
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
tonyrader has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Why do taurus' have a heater bypass line? Why is it there? and what is it's main function? Is it simply incase the heater core plugs up? If so why does it not have a PSI relief valve in it?
It has been bugging me. some one help...
tonyrader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 9645
Joepa has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (tonyrader @ Jan 13 2010, 07:39 PM)
Quote:
Why do taurus' have a heater bypass line? Why is it there? and what is it's main function? Is it simply incase the heater core plugs up? If so why does it not have a PSI relief valve in it?
It has been bugging me. some one help...[/b]

I bypassed a leaking heater core on wife's Y2K Taurus several years ago. Went from thermostat end of Vulcan via the two temperature sensors with a long piece of heater hose, directly back into the connection on the water pump. That connection feeds returned, heated coolant into a low pressure area behind the impeller.

The bypass is always transporting warmed/heated coolant from the 'hot' end of the motor back to the water pump. In the original configuration, it is moving the first warmed/heated water via the heater core long before the thermosat starts to open. Helps to warm the cabin, a skosh sooner.

Long story, but shorted, to say the bypassed fluid wants to first and always be passing by the temperature sensors near the 'hot' end of the motor.

J
Joepa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 25803
Drives: 1999 SL Station Wagon
Misha has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Joepa, I believe you did not get it quite right. And I have a similar question as tonyrader.

Why the heater core has a bypass? Factory installed hose that let the water flow avoid going through the heater core.
Misha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

Return line from heater core feeds coolant to the bank 1 head. Plugged core = little/no coolant flow to bank 1 head = overheating, cracked head, blown HG, etc.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 14394
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: '97 GL Wagon (3.0 OHV Vulcan)
Colt Hero has a little shameless behaviour in the past

There's no doubt it's a "kludge" fix by Ford to save themselves from being sued by thousands of customers with cracked engine blocks. They knew the heater cores would plug up, so they put in that parallel branch to make sure there would always be flow even if the core was completely blocked.

I think the bypass hose was installed under a TSB.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 9645
Joepa has a little shameless behaviour in the past

[quote]
There's no doubt it's a "kludge" fix by Ford to save themselves from being sued by thousands of customers with cracked engine blocks. They knew the heater cores would plug up, so they put in that parallel branch to make sure there would always be flow even if the core was completely blocked.

I think the bypass hose was installed under a TSB.
[/quote

With my own two mitts, just finished replacing both Vulcan heads with rebuilds. If a feller looks at the coolant coursing through the motor, as a result of the pressure generated by the waterpump, flow is EVENLY distributed left and right upon exiting the pump, into each side of the front of the block, below each head. The coolant then EVENLY pressurizes each side of the block in the vicinity of the cylinder walls. This same coolant moves upward toward each head and is EVENLY restricted by the small holes in each head gasket. Once inside each head, coolant continues to pickup heat and move EVENLY towards the rear of each head, then via passages of EQUAL size up and into the lim. Here the coolant flowing from each head joins up in the cavity behind the thermostat. An accurate temperature reading of coolant leaving each head at this time would be interesting. I'm betting on a healthy motor, the two temps would be mighty close.

The above presumes a decent flow of warming coolant by the thermostat, which will cause it to allow hot coolant to move to the radiator inlet. If no coolant is being bypassed back to the waterpump low pressure area, coolant temps in the area of the thermostat will seriously lag the need for thermostat opening. The hot area in the thermostat cavity is an ideal location to sense temps needed for the gages and computer. With the bypass presenting a good, hot, flow sample for the thermostat, place the temp sensors for the gage/computer in the same stream.

I have doubts about the Vulcan ever having a problem with even coolant flow throughout each side of he motor. Why the heater core itself was bypassed, was to guarantee the thermostat and the two temp sensors a failsafe working sample of max hot coolant. A plugged heater core would prevent this, without the bypass arrangement around the core. Quick and dirty fix.

YMMV, J
Joepa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
mwt
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 1952
mwt is an unknown quantity at this point

Just being an ass because I did Hydraulic Design for several years but Pumps do not create pressure. They create flow.
restrictions creat pressure. Restrictions also create heat.

Just sayin

Mike

If I had known there was going to be a test I would have studied

94gl Vulcan totalled 4-01-04
99 LX FFV-purchased 4-17-04 totalled 5-17-06 untotalled on 9-2-07 and back on the road
New Paint coming soon
2000 SES Duratec Garage
2000 SEL Duratec this thing has everything but a spoiler
mwt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 17509
austex04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many other cars/trucks have them, too. I know GM's full size cars in the 80's also had them, for the same reason our cars have them.
austex04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 3905
yiranhu has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Nowadays, the heater core is a part of the regular coolant circulation whether cold or hot. If the heater core is completely clogged and there's no bypass, there is no coolant circulation at all. Then the engine will overheat. So under this type of design, I don't see how you can NOT have a bypass hose.
yiranhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 14394
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: '97 GL Wagon (3.0 OHV Vulcan)
Colt Hero has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (yiranhu @ Jan 22 2010, 01:39 PM)
Quote:
Nowadays, the heater core is a part of the regular coolant circulation whether cold or hot. If the heater core is completely clogged and there's no bypass, there is no coolant circulation at all. Then the engine will overheat. So under this type of design, I don't see how you can NOT have a bypass hose.[/b]
That's what I (a non-mechanic) always thought (at least with my Taurus), but JOEPA seems to indicate that this is not the case. He says the bypass "guarantees a sample of max hot coolant" to the temperature sensors.

Is this a matter of semantics here?

If I remove the bypass hose and revert back to just the hoses going in and out of the heater core (with no parallel branch), what will happen?

The heater core will block up completely and then what?

JOEPA says that coolant will continue to flow through the engine but: "coolant temps in the area of the thermostat will seriously lag the need for thermostat opening"

I don't get this part.

He seems to say the bypass hose is not needed for coolant circulation - that the coolant courses through the block regardless. But then he says the coolant near the temp sensors does not get hot enough to open the thermostat often enough.

If the thermostat is not opening often enough, doesn't this create an increased risk of overheating (and/or a cracked block)?

And how does the coolant (still coursing through the block even without the bypass hose) not get hot enough to open the thermostat often enough if it isn't coursing though the radiator? Wouldn't this coolant open the thermostat MORE frequently, rather than less frequently???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.