Fluid Coming Out Power Steering Pump Cap - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 25520
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
2manyautos has a little shameless behaviour in the past

2003 Vulcan has leak through cap on power steering pump. Any sugestions of cause of problem?
2manyautos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless it is overfilled it sounds like an internal seal leaking.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 is a jewel in the rough

Prior to discovering the leak, was anyone cutting the wheels back and forth with the engine off. That will overfill the resevoir as well.

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 24077
Drives: '97 LX
jay144 is on a distinguished road

Start simple. Is the cap cracked, or is there a rubber o-ring seal on the cap that might be broken?

Is the reservoir overfilled?

jay144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE (the_intimidator_02 @ Jan 9 2010, 12:07 PM)
Quote:
Prior to discovering the leak, was anyone cutting the wheels back and forth with the engine off. That will overfill the resevoir as well.[/b]
^^^^^ +1

I have seen this more than once. Air in the system will also cause the fluid to foam and come out the cap.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 25520
2manyautos has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thanks for the info. I will start checking out your suggestions.
By the way, the car had been sitting up for a while due to battery constantly going dead, which turned out to be the mirror light on the drivers side would not go out until I cut the wire.
2manyautos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
dow

Member Number: 7051
dow has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (2manyautos @ Jan 9 2010, 10:56 AM)
Quote:
2003 Vulcan has leak through cap on power steering pump. Any sugestions of cause of problem?[/b]
I have seen this problem reported frequently, and have experienced it myself. The symptom of spewing fluid out of the cap vent is usually caused by air in the system. I have bled mine on numerous occasions by slowly turning the wheels from lock to lock in a parking lot, but the problem returns eventually. I also see where fluid is added to to a low reservoir but overflows later as fluid is going into the boot and eventually comes back into the system and overflows. I also see where many have to replace the rack due to leaking into the boot. Or others who replace the pumpr due to excessive noise. Pump noise can be caused by air in the system also.

I ran across a very interesting post by someone with the same problem who found the cause to be a loose recessed nut with four holes inside the passenger boot. When the nut was tightened the air problem and fluid spewing went away. Fluid in the driver's can be the result of the same loose nut ont he passenger side as there is an equalizer tube between both sides.

I am wondering if anyone here has tried this fix, and/or how easy is it to reach the nut to check it and a good tool to use.

here is an excerpt from the thread and a link below .... thoughts ??

Quote:
10th Aug 2008, 20:44

Hello all,

I think I may have good news for the majority of you with Taurus' and Sables' that have power steering bubbling/ spewing issues. My wife and I own both of these cars both 1999 models. 1st my sable started with the bubbling of the power steering fluid and it spewing out of the weep hole on the cap. I tried bleeding it repeatedly with the same end result. I finally decided to save the money wasted on power steering fluid and drive without it. Till one day, I was expecting a flooring delivery in the A.M. hours that did not arrive until 5:30 pm, the exact time that I needed to leave to pick up my daughter. My wife had to drive the car. I had to put plastic under the cap so that she would have power steering at least as long as it took for her to pick her up and get back home. It worked with bad results (at least I thought bad results). As soon as she got back there was a pop and power steering fluid leaking like it was being poured on the ground. I realized it was leaking from the rack on the passenger’s side. I removed the boot and saw that an internal nut had work its way out. This nut has 4 holes that apparently are used to screw the nut in place. No one at the auto stores seemed to know what the tools was, so I had to improvise. I purchased A very long screwdriver (I THINK 2 FEET) I taped a pipe to the screwdriver to give it more stiffness. (I used the pipe from my hydraulic jack) I worked the nut back in through the wheel well. Once I was done I had power steering NO MORE BUBBLING OR SPEWING!

Fast forward about a year, we purchased the Taurus for my wife and after about 8 months the same bubbling and spewing began. I added fluid that never leaked onto the ground. I again thought it was a bleeding issue. I kept bleeding by turning the wheel left to right and adding fluid as the level dropped. I thought I had it when...POP, the boot slit, power steering fluid was leaking from the rack BUT this time on the driver’s side. I removed the boot hoping to see the same internal bolt... But to my dismay no! The set up was totally different. I could not tell where the fluid was coming from, until I saw this small metal tube dripping slowly. I followed it and realized it went to the passengers side boot. Upon removing the boot I checked that infamous internal bolt and IT WAS LOOSE! After working it back in... You guessed it... no more bubbling or SPEWING!

I surmise that the bubbling is a direct result of that internal bolt being loosed causing air to be sucked into the system. Case Solved! Thank God!

===============================

19th Jan 2009, 11:47

My husband and his friend, who used to be a mechanic spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my power steering pump. I searched on-line, found your info, and gave it to them. They were skeptical at first, but you were dead on correct. This fix saves both time, and lots of money. I think you may have right and left reversed in the fix, but the bolt was loose, and after being tightened, it doesn't spray/spout any more fluid. Thank you so much!!!

===============================

22nd Jan 2009, 06:47

Regarding the steering problem with the 99 Ford Taurus, I would like to thank the person who wrote about tightening the nut on the rack assembly (passenger side). The car belongs to my sister and she was given a quote of $1300 to replace the rack and power steering pump. Based on the entry from this site, I was able to remove the boot, tighten the nut (using the needle nose pliers and a great deal of patience), and then turned the wheels back and forth a couple times to expel the oil that had filled the drivers side boot (and to make sure no more oil leaked out). Note that this boot gets filled because of the equalizing vent line between boots. I put the boot back on and the steering problem is 100X better, but not 100%. I would also like to thank the operator of this site for enabling the sharing of this kind of experience.[/b]
http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/ford/taur...omments/page-2/

Are people replacing racks unnecessarily ? I see some on threads have replaced their racks and pumps more than once

This may not be the solution for all. But I have bled my system and it has been fine for a while, but eventually air comes back in the system.
dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 13845
zamunda has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi I'm having the same thing happening to my 98 duratech. I was just getting ready to replace the rack today because of fluid coming out the drivers side boot... so decided to check the passenger side.... thinking that if there is fluid in there it might just be this bolt. just wondering where exactly that bolt is... is it insde the boot?
zamunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
dow

QUOTE (zamunda @ Mar 21 2010, 01:49 PM)
Quote:
Hi I'm having the same thing happening to my 98 duratech. I was just getting ready to replace the rack today because of fluid coming out the drivers side boot... so decided to check the passenger side.... thinking that if there is fluid in there it might just be this bolt. just wondering where exactly that bolt is... is it insde the boot?[/b]
I am not sure as I have not looked for it yet. From reading those postings it appears that the passenger side boot has to be removed and that the bolt is recessed and difficult to reach. That is why I posted it and was looking for more info from anyone who tried the fix.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
dow

QUOTE (zamunda @ Mar 21 2010, 01:49 PM)
Quote:
Hi I'm having the same thing happening to my 98 duratech. I was just getting ready to replace the rack today because of fluid coming out the drivers side boot... so decided to check the passenger side.... thinking that if there is fluid in there it might just be this bolt. just wondering where exactly that bolt is... is it insde the boot?[/b]
Apparently someone posted in another thread around the same time as I did here. He found the same thread online that I did and avoided having to replace his steering rack, as I am sure a lot of people have done unnecessarily. Remove the passenger side boot, he describes it as a plate:

Quote:
I HAVE GREAT NEWS!!!!! First thanks to all you guys for your input... but while I was searching around on the web for fluid info I came across this and I ended up not changing out th rack, but I STILL FIXED IT.
Read this link
http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/for...mments/page-2/

I pulled the boot off the passenger side and if you look back to where the piston that comes out of the rack is, there is a plate behinde it with 4 holes in it. According to this link if you just re- tighten this plate (I assume it holds the seal in place) it will stop the rack from leaking. I pulled my boot and I could spin this plate (they call it a bolt) with the lightest pressure with a screwdriver. I used a pair of needle nose pliers and stuck the ends in two of the holes and eventually worked it down to where it was tight, probably spun 5 or 6 times. I pulled the outer tie rod end and put a new boot on.. drove it around, had a groan or two on the first few turns but then it worked itself out!!!! Car is driving great now, still need an allignment. Really check this out if you have any fluid coming out of your boots. I figured it was worth a shot only took me a few hours... I'm not sure if this is just a temporary fix... but really aren't they all!!!
Thanks again for your info guys.[/b]
I am sure you can ask him any additional info. Easy fix for leaking fluid on either boot, and apparently is how air enters the power steering system and cause fluid to spew out of the cap.

EDIT= here is a link to the other TC thread topic:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=79418 and the post: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...st&p=792667

No one should consider replacing their rack without first checking to see if that plate is loose.

Symptoms can be:

Leaking PS fluid out of either passenger or drivers side boot, or both.

Power steering fluid that constantly leaks out of the cap vent.

Air in the power steering system causing loud pump noise and air bubbles in the reservoir despite repeated bleedings.

Power steering fluid levels that show very low, and when topped up eventually flow out of the cap later when the car sits, looking like it has been overfilled. That scenario is caused by fluid leaking into the boots, then level appears low in reservoir. Later when car sits fluid is drawn back into the system and overflows the reservoir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement