Camber Adjustment Plates - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 25349
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
majickjessi has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hey everyone, I recently took my 99 taurus to a garage to be aligned and they told me the camber was off by a significant amount. I was under the impression that the camber was factory set on the taurus. I haven't had an accident with the car the reason it was in for alignment was because my father recently replaced the inner tie rod end on the right front. The mechanic I had taken the car to recommended i get rid of the spot welds at the top of the strut and he would rebolt in the strut for the proper alignment. I wasn't too sold on this move as my dad told me getting rid of the spot welds weakens the strut... but what could I do I need the car to drive... So I've discovered the moog camber alignment plates as much as I hate to redo a job I just paid for I feel obligated to strengthen the strut.... But I can't find a good explanation of how the plates are supposed to be installed... any ideas???
majickjessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

Spot welds are suppose to be temporary welds. They are suppose to be drilled out to adjust camber. The bolts are the structural pieces that hold it in place. The camber will change over time as the strut and springs age and compress. I wouldn't worry about a camber adjustment kit unless you want perfectionist results. Get it as close to factory as possible with the regular adjustment will be fine.

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 140
spridget has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to spridget

The camber correction plates are designed to be used in cars that have had significant damage to the front end. They are not truly adjustable. The camber correction is set on the plate before installation. Once installed, it cannot be adjusted. If the intital adjustment is not correct, the entire strut assembly has to be removed again before the plate can be re-adjusted.

Drilling the spot welds on the top plate is very common. The top plates are very soft steel, used for factory alignment, not reinforcement. The 3 bolts hold the strut to the body. The strut tower is made from high strength steel. Drilling the spot welds does not weaken the strut. The top plate acts like a washer to spread the load evenly around the bolt holes. The spot welds only hold the plates in place. They are designed to be drilled and adjusted.
spridget is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement