1999 3.0 Dohc Power Steering Rack Hose Teflon Seals - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 17094
Drives: 1999 Taurus SE Duratec
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Scout1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I am putting a new rack and pinion in my son's car. It came with two teflon seals for the low and high pressure hose fittings that connect the the gear. I tore one while trying to put it on. I went to the dealer and they brought out a seal P/N 388898-S. This seal is a little smaller in diameter than the one provided with the rack. Can someone tell me the right part number for the seals for the hydraulic lines that attach to the gear? Any hints on how to put them on without messing them up would be helpful. I tried soaking in warm water, no help. I may try my heat gun next. The manual mentions a tool but the Ford dealer doesn't have it. Thanks,

ED
Scout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 113
rudedog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rudedog Send a message via MSN to rudedog Send a message via Yahoo to rudedog

They make a cone shaped tool that you can get to "stretch" the seal just slightly to install it. I've always just used the flare on a the ratchet end of a short 3/8 or 1/2" extension. Slide the seal over the square end, and push it toward the other end, when you've got it about half-way (usually) to where it might come off, slide it back off and install it onto the hose. Then kind of "roll" it between your fingers a bit and it will slowly "shrink" back to size.

I don't remember any of the part numbers for the ones I've bought, but I get them at a local rack and pinion rebuilder.

May 2008 Car of The Month/Car of the Year 2008
'93 GL 3.0L, BOOTY'S BLUE BUCKET O' BOLTS
February Car of the Month T.S.O.C.
March Car of The Month T.C.C.A.
2003 SES 3.0L, GHOST

'93 SHO 3.2L, SNIPER SHO
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 140
spridget has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to spridget

QUOTE (rudedog @ Dec 29 2009, 02:52 PM)
Quote:
I've always just used the flare on a the ratchet end of a short 3/8 or 1/2" extension.[/b]
I've used the same method, or over a large center punch. Soaking in warm water may also help.
spridget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 122
jedhead has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to jedhead

I tore one too, but I called the company I bought the rack on line from and they mailed me more seals. I noticed that the next time I ordered a rack, it came with two extra seals. I would try to contact the company you purchased the rack from.

Bob

1991 SHO
2006 Cadillac STS-V
2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z
SHOCal
Car Domain
jedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

I am going to try the local NAPA. I bought the rack off ebay. It is made by A1 Cardone. I could only find a website email contact. I may try the ones from the dealer even though the ones that came with the rack seemed much better. I just don't want to go to all the effort to install and then have it leak. Thanks

EDQUOTE (jedhead @ Dec 30 2009, 01:41 AM)
Quote:
I tore one too, but I called the company I bought the rack on line from and they mailed me more seals. I noticed that the next time I ordered a rack, it came with two extra seals. I would try to contact the company you purchased the rack from.

Bob[/b]
Old 12-31-2009, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have since found out that the teflon seals for the lines that screw into the steering gear are in fact 388898-S. The seals that came with the rack were a little different in size but may have worked. The counter guy told me the mechs in the shop boiled them to make them expand. I tried that and a heat gun and no help. Rudedogs idea worked the best just slide them down on a 3/8 extention and stretch it a little, then work it on gently. Also something I learned. On passenger side wheel well, remove small splash shield from alternator and disconnect large vacumn line from small box on drivers firewall. This will allow you to drop the subframe about 4 more inches. Total time to change the rack 6 hours. I am sure if you are an experienced mechanic you could do it much faster. Money saved over $400.00

Ed
Old 12-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 16618
Drives: 2005 Mercury Sable LS, Duratec 3.0L V-6, 138,000 mi and counting
ArkanDan has a little shameless behaviour in the past

What I did when I changed out the pwr steering pump on my Sable was cut a patch (about 2" x 2" I think) out of the side of an aluminum beer can. It was a 90° day when I did this so emptying that beer can for the patch was not a problem. I then formed the patch around the end of the high pressure line and then made it slightly conical. I slipped the teflon ring onto the cone and it slipped on without a hitch. If I were doing it this time of year I would use a hair dryer and warm it up first. You're all done with your job, but if you need to do this again you may want to give this procedure a whirl. If you're a tea totaller then a soda can would work as well.
Advertisement