Blend Door Lever Constantly Clicks - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 10232
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1998 DOHC Taurus
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
mahatma has a little shameless behaviour in the past

'98 Taurus with Electronic Temp Control

Whenever my car is running, there's this constant click/thump coming from the dash (about once a second) - pretty annoying. And the heat & A/C haven't worked... So being a total moron & desperate for heat, I flushed the heater core to no avail. Never connected the dots in my head between the clicking & lack of climate control. Then I just replaced the heater core, & still no heat. By the way, the floor shifter makes pulling the dash back for clearance a total pain in the ace.

Anyway, with the glovebox, climate control, & ashtray out of the way, and the car running, I can see the source of the click. It's the blend door lever. It tries to move up about once per second, then gives up & comes crashing back down. When I move the lever manually with the car off, I can hear & feel the door(s) moving & everything seems to move freely.

I'm assuming it's the actuator thing (with the electrical connector & the white plastic shaft that slides in). Any other ideas of possible causes of this problem, before I drop 50 bux at autozone....? Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 07:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

Stripped plastic gear in the blend door activator.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

OK a buddy had a front clip from a 4th gen Sable lying around. Been sitting outside in the weather for a year or two. So I snatched the blend door actuator thing (looked a little rusty, and it was white plastic instead of my 3rd gen's black plastic housing). Installed it, now it does NOT click, but the air temp never changes when you cycle up & down from 60* to 90*....

I made a few observations:
- The buttons for defrost, vent, floor, etc all work. When I select a different one, it always changes, and from underneath I can see the little vacuum motors moving stuff.
- The blower fan works. It can really blast that ambient temp air.
- When I cycle from max a/c to max hot, I expect that the blend door lever would move up & down. It does not move, or even try to move, when I change the temp setting.

I suspect that the replacement blend door actuator may just be faulty from age & sitting in the elements. Any other ideas to test stuff before I go buy a new one? Or is that definitely it? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

I bet the "new" activator you put in is no good. Have you run the EATC self test?
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 2826
Two Stooges has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You could pull that actuator, plug the connector in & see if its turning smoothly.
Also, I can't really recall but it may well be possible to install the actuator incorrectly so that if it was stopped in the high temp position when you removed it & you re-install it in the low temp position(or vice-versa)...you'd have a problem opening the blend door. If I'm wrong on that I hope someone would correct me.
Two Stooges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've not heard of the self-test, but I will search on here, try it, & report back. I'm starting to hate myself for being so cheap & pinning my hopes on suspicious looking junkyard electrical parts.

The doors seem like they move smoothly with the actuator out, and me just moving the lever by hand. Man I hope you're right about the actuator installation, I'm dying for an easy fix after all this trouble.

But the actuator's notched probe part wouldn't twist by hand on either of the two I've messed with so far... and it only fits in 1 way...
Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 2826
Two Stooges has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (mahatma @ Nov 18 2009, 03:48 PM)
Quote:
But the actuator's notched probe part wouldn't twist by hand on either of the two I've messed with so far... and it only fits in 1 way...[/b]
It had been too long since I had to fix one...so my bad.
Two Stooges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

The self-test yielded codes 024 & 025. Bad blend door actuator. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 15109
outatyme357 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

astoot question but did you replace your EATC blend door actuator with a MANual one by chance? (there is a difference from what I understand)
manual one should say "man" on it. you should be able to take your EATC actuator apart and rebuild it with gears from the other actuator.
outatyme357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement