Intermittent / Lack Of Heat - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 23693
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
phil_b54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

01 Sable - 3.0 Vulcan - 100K

First Post - First let me say thank you to everyone on this site. It has been very helpful over the past couple weeks. I hope to do a little write up on the headlight harness to "pay it forward".

Issue: My wife says she didn't have much heat. I check, and sure enough, coolant is very low (gone). The tank was dirty enough that it looked like there was some in it, but nothing inside. Since it has just cooled down enough to need heat I don't know how long it has been low. Still don't know where it went, but figured that was a lesser priority.

Put anti-freeze in it, and still not much for heat. After some searching and reading on here, I believed that I would first try to flush the core since it did not seem to be leaking. Since the vehicle also has a exceedingly loud belt squeal at times, and the waterpump seemed to have a little excess end play, I decided that I would do that as well. This would eminate another suspect.

I flushed the core per the Clinton thread, it was dirty, but not as bad as I would have thought. The pump was in ok shape, still had a good portion of the impeller not rusted away. The new one had much less endplay and the bearing felt much better. Also put in a thermostat while I had her drained.

After getting it all back together, idled and had decent heat (for just warming up). Went for a 5-10 min drive and had great heat for a little bit, then it just went cool. By the time I get back to the house, it was pretty warm again. Come back to the house to check coolant level...very full hot. Shut it off for dinner, came back and went for another drive, same thing.

Took it to work today, 40min drive, full heat and full fan the whole way. I was warm, but it didn't heat me out of the car like I know it should.

Anyone have a suggestion? Could I have air in the system? I couldn't have put the t-stat in wrong or something? BTW...still have the horrible belt squeal.

Sorry for the book.
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 8134
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
ricer333 will become famous soon enough

Belt squeal could be pulleys. When you have the serpentine belt off check the Idler and Tensioner pulleys. They should not spin freely (thread: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/inde...owtopic=50608).

As for the heat issue. I would try getting the air out of the system. Has the coolant level gone down any since the heat has cycled between cool and hot? If so, then air bubbles are escaping.

As for the T-Stat, I believe that it can be put in wrong and not be opening up, but I would believe that you would see your water temp rising or always staying cool due to improper flow.

Could the blender door be acting up TCCA? I know that it usually fails in the defrost position, but what controls the heat vs ac air? maybe that door isn't acting properly?

Also, do you have manual heat/ac controls or automatic?
ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

QUOTE (ricer333 @ Nov 5 2009, 02:25 PM)
Quote:
Belt squeal could be pulleys. When you have the serpentine belt off check the Idler and Tensioner pulleys. They should not spin freely (thread: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/inde...owtopic=50608).

As for the heat issue. I would try getting the air out of the system. Has the coolant level gone down any since the heat has cycled between cool and hot? If so, then air bubbles are escaping.

As for the T-Stat, I believe that it can be put in wrong and not be opening up, but I would believe that you would see your water temp rising or always staying cool due to improper flow.

Could the blender door be acting up TCCA? I know that it usually fails in the defrost position, but what controls the heat vs ac air? maybe that door isn't acting properly?

Also, do you have manual heat/ac controls or automatic?[/b]
I actually have been fighting the squeal for about 1.5 yrs. I replaced both idler and tensioner pulley and new belt Spring 2008. It didn't seem to make much difference at the time. It is also intermittent enough that it only make noise when I don't have time to look at it, and don't think about it the rest of the time. While doing the water pump, I didn think one of the idlers was suspect already though. I also recently replaced the CPS just to make sure.

On the second warm up, I opened up the tank and ran it for quite a while. Squeezing the main hose to the t-stat caused it to burp a bubble, but nothing else.

Forgot to mention that all hoses are hot to touch.

Manual heat controls. I can turn the heat down to cold and back up, and it seems to work fine. I would think the blend door issue would stick or not allow adjustment?

Old 11-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 22952
fordgt150 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm having a similar heating problem. The Temp guage stays dead in the middle; before I did the clinton job, No heat, afterward, alot of heat at first then the tempature of the air drops slowly to the point where it is blowing warm-cool air. If I turn off the heat wait maybe 4-5 minutes and turn it back on, it does the same thing. Other than that coolant levels stay the same, water pump reman Cardone installed in Oct. and T-Stat installed Dec 2008, I believe 192F
Old 11-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 2826
Two Stooges has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (phil_b54 @ Nov 5 2009, 10:13 AM)
Quote:
Issue: My wife says she didn't have much heat. I check, and sure enough, coolant is very low (gone). The tank was dirty enough that it looked like there was some in it, but nothing inside. Since it has just cooled down enough to need heat I don't know how long it has been low. Still don't know where it went, but figured that was a lesser priority.

Put anti-freeze in it, and still not much for heat. After some searching and reading on here, I believed that I would first try to flush the core since it did not seem to be leaking. Since the vehicle also has a exceedingly loud belt squeal at times, and the waterpump seemed to have a little excess end play, I decided that I would do that as well. This would eminate another suspect.

I flushed the core per the Clinton thread, it was dirty, but not as bad as I would have thought. The pump was in ok shape, still had a good portion of the impeller not rusted away. The new one had much less endplay and the bearing felt much better. Also put in a thermostat while I had her drained.

After getting it all back together, idled and had decent heat (for just warming up). Went for a 5-10 min drive and had great heat for a little bit, then it just went cool. By the time I get back to the house, it was pretty warm again. Come back to the house to check coolant level...very full hot. Shut it off for dinner, came back and went for another drive, same thing.

Took it to work today, 40min drive, full heat and full fan the whole way. I was warm, but it didn't heat me out of the car like I know it should.

Anyone have a suggestion? Could I have air in the system? I couldn't have put the t-stat in wrong or something? BTW...still have the horrible belt squeal.

Sorry for the book.[/b]
Assuming you have manual climate control, when you turn the temp knob from one extreme to the other you should see the blend door lever move up & down smoothly & consistently. Does it? Try it several times.
Two Stooges is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep the coolant tank as full as possible. You should top it off completely before starting the engine and after it has gone through a cold/hot/cold cycle.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 22952
fordgt150 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

oh and the blender door works perfectly on the manual a/c
Old 11-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

QUOTE (Two Stooges @ Nov 5 2009, 03:26 PM)
Quote:
Assuming you have manual climate control, when you turn the temp knob from one extreme to the other you should see the blend door lever move up & down smoothly & consistently. Does it? Try it several times.[/b]
I can hear the door and feel the temp drop and come back up. I guess I didn't know I could actually see the blend door, I thought you had to pull the dash to get to it.

Is there a thread showing where I should look? Nevermind, I will search and check it out this evening. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 11-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

QUOTE (Fordgt150 @ Nov 5 2009, 10:40 AM)
Quote:
I'm having a similar heating problem. The Temp guage stays dead in the middle; before I did the clinton job, No heat, afterward, alot of heat at first then the tempature of the air drops slowly to the point where it is blowing warm-cool air. If I turn off the heat wait maybe 4-5 minutes and turn it back on, it does the same thing. Other than that coolant levels stay the same, water pump reman Cardone installed in Oct. and T-Stat installed Dec 2008, I believe 192F[/b]
Fordgt150: You'll get better results if you start a new thread with your problem.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

QUOTE (phil_b54 @ Nov 5 2009, 12:18 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Two Stooges @ Nov 5 2009, 03:26 PM)
Quote:
Assuming you have manual climate control, when you turn the temp knob from one extreme to the other you should see the blend door lever move up & down smoothly & consistently. Does it? Try it several times.[/b]
I can hear the door and feel the temp drop and come back up. I guess I didn't know I could actually see the blend door, I thought you had to pull the dash to get to it.

Is there a thread showing where I should look? Nevermind, I will search and check it out this evening. Thanks for the suggestion
[/b][/quote]

You can see only the blend door's lever but it's still worth taking a peek-a-boo.
If you have chilton's taurus/sable 96-05 (you want this book...trust me) look on page 3-14 for pics of the blend door actuator & blend door lever. There may be a shield that obscures the view...I think I might have had one at one time but removed it & tossed it out...can't really remember. This will at least verify that the actuator is behaving itself.
Also: if the coolant was very low you probably have a leak somewhere.
Also 2: if the stat was in backwards the engine would be overheating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.