03 Taurus Slight Steering Wheel Shake - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 23113
Join Date: Oct 2009
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 5
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
mopar318 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

I have a 2003 taurus, and I have been trying to figure out what is causing a slight shake over 65mph. The shake was there ever since I got the car. Around 15k ago, I installed new shocks along with firestone tires. Now the car has around 75k miles. I have checked the entire front end. Ball joints are good, Tie rod ends and rack are in great shape. I rechecked the balance on the tires and they are all balanced and no bent wheels. Brake rotors are not warped.

The only thing I can think of is that there may be too much toe in. Also the camber is slightly out, I just rotated the tires and noticed wear on the the inside of the front tires. But usually camber doesnt cause any sort of shake.

I also drove another taurus of similar year, and it also had a shake. Is it just something these have? Any suggestions?
mopar318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Member Number: 3905
Join Date: Oct 2004
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 448
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
yiranhu has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

QUOTE (Mopar318 @ Oct 6 2009, 10:10 PM)
Quote:
I have a 2003 taurus, and I have been trying to figure out what is causing a slight shake over 65mph. The shake was there ever since I got the car. Around 15k ago, I installed new shocks along with firestone tires. Now the car has around 75k miles. I have checked the entire front end. Ball joints are good, Tie rod ends and rack are in great shape. I rechecked the balance on the tires and they are all balanced and no bent wheels. Brake rotors are not warped.

The only thing I can think of is that there may be too much toe in. Also the camber is slightly out, I just rotated the tires and noticed wear on the the inside of the front tires. But usually camber doesnt cause any sort of shake.

I also drove another taurus of similar year, and it also had a shake. Is it just something these have? Any suggestions?[/b]
First rotate the wheels. Bad tires or something can cause this type of problems. Then alignment.
yiranhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 23113
Join Date: Oct 2009
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 5
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
mopar318 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

QUOTE (yiranhu @ Oct 6 2009, 09:13 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Mopar318 @ Oct 6 2009, 10:10 PM)
Quote:
I have a 2003 taurus, and I have been trying to figure out what is causing a slight shake over 65mph. The shake was there ever since I got the car. Around 15k ago, I installed new shocks along with firestone tires. Now the car has around 75k miles. I have checked the entire front end. Ball joints are good, Tie rod ends and rack are in great shape. I rechecked the balance on the tires and they are all balanced and no bent wheels. Brake rotors are not warped.

The only thing I can think of is that there may be too much toe in. Also the camber is slightly out, I just rotated the tires and noticed wear on the the inside of the front tires. But usually camber doesnt cause any sort of shake.

I also drove another taurus of similar year, and it also had a shake. Is it just something these have? Any suggestions?[/b]
First rotate the wheels. Bad tires or something can cause this type of problems. Then alignment.
[/b][/quote]

Read above. Shake has been there since I got the car. New tires didnt help. They are very good tires. I just rotated them over the weekend. No change.
mopar318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
Member Number: 16800
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Schenectady, NY
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2003 SES Vulcan OHV 2v Lowend.
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 2,387
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Rep Power: 18
thesavo has a spectacular aura about
Default

Bent Rim?
__________________
2003 Vulcan AX4S Spruce Green

For Sale
Gen 3 & 4 Parts
Wood Grain Radio Trim

I am TheSavo on the following Boards,
Crownvic.ca, Crownvic.net, Escape-City.com, FordEscape.og, FordTaurus.net, ExplorerForum.com, F150online.com, TaurusOwners.com

Like my diagrams? they are from AutoZone.comSign-up for a free account.

Vehicle Maintenance Log. http://www.mycarprojects.net Also has an Android App.
thesavo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Member Number: 22536
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bloomingdale Il
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 201
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
gary 55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

had same problem with my 03 taurus took it to goodyear they said 2 bent rims what they did was balance all 4 tires and put 2 bad rims on rear made a big difference on highway much less shaking on highway PS these cars are not very good highway cars i saw somewhere on net try not to exceed 60 mph if possible also since you have been rotating tires alot have it aligned again good luck
gary 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Technical Advisor
 
Member Number: 11378
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 4,977
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 62
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute
Default

QUOTE (thesavo @ Oct 6 2009, 09:56 PM)
Quote:
Bent Rim?[/b]
That would be my guess also.
__________________
05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Two Stooges's Avatar
 
Member Number: 2826
Join Date: Apr 2004
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 754
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
Two Stooges has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

QUOTE (gary55 @ Oct 7 2009, 06:04 AM)
Quote:
...these cars are not very good highway cars i saw somewhere on net try not to exceed 60 mph if possible...[/b]
Have to disgree with that. My 2000 still cruises down the freeway at 100mph smooth as silk.
Two Stooges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
kmohr3's Avatar
 
Member Number: 21991
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rockford, IL
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 70
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
kmohr3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to kmohr3
Default

Actually, if you have wear on the inside of the tires, they are probably toed-out (negative toe). I would have the alignment corrected and then you might try.......

On-vehicle spin-balance. This will balance the wheel, tire, rotor, bearing hub, etc. You might have to shop around for someone with the equipment to do this. Also, if this works you would probably want to mark the wheel location to the hub when removing the wheels/tires so you get them back on the same way.
__________________
ASE Master Tech
Registered Master Tech w/ VWoA


kmohr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2