03 Taurus Slight Steering Wheel Shake - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 23113
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
mopar318 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have a 2003 taurus, and I have been trying to figure out what is causing a slight shake over 65mph. The shake was there ever since I got the car. Around 15k ago, I installed new shocks along with firestone tires. Now the car has around 75k miles. I have checked the entire front end. Ball joints are good, Tie rod ends and rack are in great shape. I rechecked the balance on the tires and they are all balanced and no bent wheels. Brake rotors are not warped.

The only thing I can think of is that there may be too much toe in. Also the camber is slightly out, I just rotated the tires and noticed wear on the the inside of the front tires. But usually camber doesnt cause any sort of shake.

I also drove another taurus of similar year, and it also had a shake. Is it just something these have? Any suggestions?
mopar318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 3905
yiranhu has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (Mopar318 @ Oct 6 2009, 10:10 PM)
Quote:
I have a 2003 taurus, and I have been trying to figure out what is causing a slight shake over 65mph. The shake was there ever since I got the car. Around 15k ago, I installed new shocks along with firestone tires. Now the car has around 75k miles. I have checked the entire front end. Ball joints are good, Tie rod ends and rack are in great shape. I rechecked the balance on the tires and they are all balanced and no bent wheels. Brake rotors are not warped.

The only thing I can think of is that there may be too much toe in. Also the camber is slightly out, I just rotated the tires and noticed wear on the the inside of the front tires. But usually camber doesnt cause any sort of shake.

I also drove another taurus of similar year, and it also had a shake. Is it just something these have? Any suggestions?[/b]
First rotate the wheels. Bad tires or something can cause this type of problems. Then alignment.
yiranhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 23113
mopar318 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (yiranhu @ Oct 6 2009, 09:13 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Mopar318 @ Oct 6 2009, 10:10 PM)
Quote:

I also drove another taurus of similar year, and it also had a shake. Is it just something these have? Any suggestions?[/b]
First rotate the wheels. Bad tires or something can cause this type of problems. Then alignment.
[/b][/quote]

Read above. Shake has been there since I got the car. New tires didnt help. They are very good tires. I just rotated them over the weekend. No change.
mopar318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 16800
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2003 SES Vulcan OHV 2v Lowend.
Trader Score: 1 reviews
thesavo has a spectacular aura about

Bent Rim?

For Sale
Gen 3 & 4 Parts
Wood Grain Radio Trim

I am TheSavo on the following Boards,
Crownvic.ca, Crownvic.net, Escape-City.com, FordEscape.og, FordTaurus.net, ExplorerForum.com, F150online.com, TaurusOwners.com

Like my diagrams? they are from AutoZone.comSign-up for a free account.

Vehicle Maintenance Log. http://www.mycarprojects.net Also has an Android App.
thesavo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 22536
gary 55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

had same problem with my 03 taurus took it to goodyear they said 2 bent rims what they did was balance all 4 tires and put 2 bad rims on rear made a big difference on highway much less shaking on highway PS these cars are not very good highway cars i saw somewhere on net try not to exceed 60 mph if possible also since you have been rotating tires alot have it aligned again good luck
gary 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE (thesavo @ Oct 6 2009, 09:56 PM)
Quote:
Bent Rim?[/b]
That would be my guess also.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 2826
Two Stooges has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (gary55 @ Oct 7 2009, 06:04 AM)
Quote:
...these cars are not very good highway cars i saw somewhere on net try not to exceed 60 mph if possible...[/b]
Have to disgree with that. My 2000 still cruises down the freeway at 100mph smooth as silk.
Two Stooges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 21991
kmohr3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to kmohr3

Actually, if you have wear on the inside of the tires, they are probably toed-out (negative toe). I would have the alignment corrected and then you might try.......

On-vehicle spin-balance. This will balance the wheel, tire, rotor, bearing hub, etc. You might have to shop around for someone with the equipment to do this. Also, if this works you would probably want to mark the wheel location to the hub when removing the wheels/tires so you get them back on the same way.

kmohr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement