Power Window Wont Go Down - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 22961
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
larsthegamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have a 02 Taurus with a power window issue, the window wont go down on the drivers side front. I have replaced the motor and tried a new switch but no luck. Put volt meter to it and found that I had 12 volts in the up position of the switch but only about 1.2 volts in the down position of the switch. Is this broken wire or a known issue? Any help would be appreciated.
larsthegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
soundu is on a distinguished road

QUOTE (carguy36 @ Sep 29 2009, 06:05 PM)
Quote:
I have a 02 Taurus with a power window issue, the window wont go down on the drivers side front. I have replaced the motor and tried a new switch but no luck. Put volt meter to it and found that I had 12 volts in the up position of the switch but only about 1.2 volts in the down position of the switch. Is this broken wire or a known issue? Any help would be appreciated.[/b]
Basically, the control switch just reverse polarity to the motor and complete the circuit. You need to hot wire the motor and see if it takes' the window up and down.
If by hot wiring it you have both up and down, then its a wiring issue or bad switch. My guess its the switch. If you only have 1.2 volts to ground (check with another ground
to verify) either your motor is drawing too much current because its jammed or defective, or the switches or wiring path has a high resistance connection. you probably going to
need the factory wiring diagram to help you with this. this diagram should be simmilar

bob
Attached Images
File Type: gif powerwindows.gif (15.6 KB, 580 views)
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 22961
larsthegamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (soundu @ Sep 29 2009, 11:47 PM)
Quote:
Quote:
I have a 02 Taurus with a power window issue, the window wont go down on the drivers side front. I have replaced the motor and tried a new switch but no luck. Put volt meter to it and found that I had 12 volts in the up position of the switch but only about 1.2 volts in the down position of the switch. Is this broken wire or a known issue? Any help would be appreciated.[/b]
Basically, the control switch just reverse polarity to the motor and complete the circuit. You need to hot wire the motor and see if it takes' the window up and down.
If by hot wiring it you have both up and down, then its a wiring issue or bad switch. My guess its the switch. If you only have 1.2 volts to ground (check with another ground
to verify) either your motor is drawing too much current because its jammed or defective, or the switches or wiring path has a high resistance connection. you probably going to
need the factory wiring diagram to help you with this. this diagram should be simmilar

bob
[/b][/quote]
Thanks for the wiring diagram this may help. Have some additional information on this. Tried another motor and found that I have voltage of 12v in the up position and sometimes in the down position until I connect the motor, with back probing the connector I found that the voltage goes flat to 0.00 in both up and down and then after I unplug the motor I only have 12v in the up position but go back to low voltage in the down position. Also checked for any obstructions with the regulator and it was very smooth operation. Even with the motor disconnected from the regulator I have no operation of the motor. I am starting to lean towards the GEM module, any ideas?
larsthegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 2826
Two Stooges has a little shameless behaviour in the past

There is a complete diagnostic walk-through of the window circuit in the Ford service manual. Ebay...usually under $15. Search "ford manual" (you'd want the 96-02) I think. Best I can do.
Two Stooges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
soundu is on a distinguished road

QUOTE (carguy36 @ Sep 30 2009, 10:45 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (soundu @ Sep 29 2009, 11:47 PM)
Quote:
Quote:

bob
[/b][/quote]
Thanks for the wiring diagram this may help. Have some additional information on this. Tried another motor and found that I have voltage of 12v in the up position and sometimes in the down position until I connect the motor, with back probing the connector I found that the voltage goes flat to 0.00 in both up and down and then after I unplug the motor I only have 12v in the up position but go back to low voltage in the down position. Also checked for any obstructions with the regulator and it was very smooth operation. Even with the motor disconnected from the regulator I have no operation of the motor. I am starting to lean towards the GEM module, any ideas?
[/b][/quote]

You have a high resistance contact somewhere. You need to hook the motor up, and start to backprobe at the 12 volt source of each window switch.
probe with the motor switch on and off. once you found the power loss, you found the problem. I bet you have 12 volts at the top of the switch
and it stays a 12 even when the motor is running in fault condition. My guess is yo have a bad switch, or corroded connection to the switch.

Its a pain, but take off the connector to both door switches, check them for corrosion and re seat them.

bob
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 34846
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 98 250000 miles
dotwalters is an unknown quantity at this point

i repalced motor on 98 also relay clicks when i hit down but window doesnt move the click tells me switch is good correct? im at a loss on this window too!
dotwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement