Acceleration Shudder - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 16515
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
99TaurusSeWagon has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Ok, I've got a 99 Taurus SE Wagon with the 3.0 Vulcan. The thing has 175,000 km and drives magnificantly. The only apparent problem is that it shudders when it acclerates hard. During Regular driving it is very smooth. Brand New Tires, the axels have been replaced once already, and yes the allignment is good. When I really put my foot down, and the engine gets to rev a little more, it feels like the car is shuddering (agian only on hard acceleration). I've also noticed once in a while, If i hammer on the gas, then let go, it will shift harshly into second gear...It's like the tranny doesn't quite know what it's doing anymore.
The car has been used for towing a small utility trailer with an atv on it for about 100, 000 km but since the begining it has always had a transmission cooler on it.
Otherwise the tranny has never failed by any means. It has never missed a shift, or "slipped" as i would know it. However I supposed the shuddering could be slipppage.
I'm not sure the last time the fluid was changed. Might that have something to do with it?

Does anyone have a similar problem, or have any idea what is wrong or if it is serious?
Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 13200
dark_fire has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to dark_fire

Sounds like the 1-2 clutchpack is worn. My 98 'tec with 102k miles doesn't shudder under acceleration, but the 1-2 shift isn't the greatest anymore. Also, mine when you romp it down in first, let off and get back on the gas, it will rev up and then catch second. No problems under WOT, but again, the 1-2 shift is a bit rough,
he checks his closet for Clint Eastwood.
dark_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

QUOTE (dark_fire @ Sep 28 2009, 05:05 PM)
Quote:
Sounds like the 1-2 clutchpack is worn. My 98 'tec with 102k miles doesn't shudder under acceleration, but the 1-2 shift isn't the greatest anymore. Also, mine when you romp it down in first, let off and get back on the gas, it will rev up and then catch second. No problems under WOT, but again, the 1-2 shift is a bit rough,[/b]

Ok, thanks for that, As long as the tranny isn't going to drop out any time soon, or leave me stranded on the highway in the middle of a saskatchewan winter (try -40 degrees celcius) I will be happy.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

QUOTE (Jay T @ Oct 7 2009, 01:54 PM)
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like the 1-2 clutchpack is worn. My 98 'tec with 102k miles doesn't shudder under acceleration, but the 1-2 shift isn't the greatest anymore. Also, mine when you romp it down in first, let off and get back on the gas, it will rev up and then catch second. No problems under WOT, but again, the 1-2 shift is a bit rough,[/b]

Ok, thanks for that, As long as the tranny isn't going to drop out any time soon, or leave me stranded on the highway in the middle of a saskatchewan winter (try -40 degrees celcius) I will be happy.
[/b][/quote]
At the rate you are going, what will happen is it will slip like crazy under light acceleration just before it dies. The only time these transmissions suddenly crap out is when the pump shaft snaps. Its not common but it does happen.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

QUOTE (dark_fire @ Oct 7 2009, 06:46 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Jay T @ Oct 7 2009, 01:54 PM)
Quote:
Quote:

[/b][/quote]
At the rate you are going, what will happen is it will slip like crazy under light acceleration just before it dies. The only time these transmissions suddenly crap out is when the pump shaft snaps. Its not common but it does happen.
[/b][/quote]

So is there something i should be doing now to prevent it from wearing out? a flush and new fluid possibly? When it "goes" can i have it fixed or will it need a whole new tranny? Just want to prepare myself, or prevent a dead tranny for as long as possible
Old 10-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 5848
jndejure has a little shameless behaviour in the past

At minus 40 degrees whatever you need full synthetic in that transmission. I had a 96 Taurus wagon with 115,000 on it when I changed the transmission fluid to Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. It ran great, both engine and transmission with full synthetic oil in it. Now I found the new Wolf's Head super universal full synthetic ATF which will soon replace the Mobil 1 in my 05 Sable wagon's transmission. This ATF is also known and sold as AMALIE racing lubricants. They claim it is superior to the other extended drain super ATF's - but who knows for sure. What we can be sure of is that the full synthetics are far better than the dino versions. For sure their ability to function better at temperature extremes is well established. Enjoy your wagon, knowing that you have rear wheel disc brakes and a better rear suspension than the sedans came with although they are a bit stiffer.
jndejure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

I would not trust a "super universal" ATF in these transmissions. I don't care if chuck norris put his sweat in the ATF, I still wouldn't use it.
There's not much you can do, a fluid change MIGHT help but in order to actually fix the problem, the trans needs to be rebuilt.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 5848
jndejure has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Doesn't sound like the transmission is on its' last legs Dark_Fire. Just needs some attention to detail. A lubricants ability to stop shudder is what happened to Mercon when it became Mercon V. As far as I can determine that is the main upgrade in this "new" ATF now determined to be a replacement for the "old" fluid. All automatics except for the newer variable belt types are just oil pumps with wet clutch packs and the fluid that protects that transmitting process has been developed for more than a few decades. The attributes necessary for everything to work correctly are known and it is only a matter of producing a product that can be sold at a profit. It is advertising that makes Mobil 1 cost more than other synthetic ATF's that do not use the media to the extent that the high priced lubricants do. To my way of thinking, the use of a high quality lubricant in either the transmission or engine is the only smart thing to do, especially in older mechanisms. Paying a little more for quality oils is cheap insurance.
jndejure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 17509
austex04 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would try changing the ATF to a full synthetic ATF, by just dropping the pan, replace the filter. My experience with Ford transmissions is when they start to shudder, it's time to change the ATF, even if it dosen't look too bad. The full synthetic ATF's have more anti-shudder additives than the dino ones do. I continue to use (as well as other members) just good old Mobile 1 ATF with good results, and improved shifting than with dino ATF. Given the age and mileage on your transmission, I would nurse it along (with regular fluid changes with sythetic ATF) until it dies.
austex04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 4780
edselsouth1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (austex04 @ Oct 8 2009, 09:18 PM)
Quote:
I would try changing the ATF to a full synthetic ATF, by just dropping the pan, replace the filter. My experience with Ford transmissions is when they start to shudder, it's time to change the ATF, even if it dosen't look too bad. The full synthetic ATF's have more anti-shudder additives than the dino ones do. I continue to use (as well as other members) just good old Mobile 1 ATF with good results, and improved shifting than with dino ATF. Given the age and mileage on your transmission, I would nurse it along (with regular fluid changes with sythetic ATF) until it dies.[/b]

I've had a similar occurence w/ my '01 Taurus (Vulcan/AX4N). My transmission man told me that the torque converter is a "staged" unit. In other words, it could engage at 30%, 40%, or such, depending on load and speed. The car has had the shudder since about 117,000 miles, and now has 137,000 miles. He gave me a small tube (2-1/2 oz.) of friction modifier, and the shudder has stopped. The product is called "Instant Shudder Fix". Don't know the manufacturer, but you could check it out on-line. Some parts stores may have it on the shelf, or you may go to a tranny shop and ask for it. It's worth a try.

David
edselsouth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement