Still Having Vacuum Problems - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 21703
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
rdog157h has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I cannot pinpoint a specific leak, seems to be everywhere. I replaced the idle air sensor gasket with a silicone gasket, fixet the leak there. But there seems to be multible leaks on the hose that comes off the air filter housing. But my question is would these vacuum leaks have anything to do with the brakes? When at low rpms the brake pedal goes to the floor and barely stops. Any ideas?
rdog157h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 20769
Popeye has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I didn't catch your previous posts so bear with me here. It seems you're having multiple vacuum issues. This post mentions multiple leaks on a line from the breather box. These leaks are outside of the throttle body and should not affect idle or cause an major performance problems. You also mention a low brake pedal condition at low rpms. Your engine should develop its' highest vacuum at idle or deceleration so the low pedal should be the result of maximum boost.

The brake power booster is essentially a large vacuum servo. It is basically a vacuum tank with a diaphragm in the middle. When you step on the brake pedal it causes a valve close off the diaphragm and open the back of the tank to the air. Atmospheric pressure pushes the diaphragm in the same direction as the pedal push. I explained all this so that you will understand the next part.

Your post said you could hear a constant vacuum hiss. It also said that your brake pedal goes down further at low revs. It is possible for your vacuum booster to fail if that valve fails or the diaphragm splits. I don't know if you are having any problems with idling but it is possible for the booster to fail without causing noticeable idling problems.

If your booster is functioning properly your rear brakes may need attention and that could cause the drop in pedal height. If the brakes are severely out of adjustment, or if there is air in the system, the master cylinder could be near the end of its' travel range.

Sorry for the rambling post but I see a potential safety issue here and I don't have all he information to work with.

Good luck, Popeye
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am having idling problems, it will not idle. It usually shuts right off whenever I come to a stop, unless I put it in neutral and rev it. However sometimes it will rev up on its own to about 3000 rpms it will hold that for 30 seconds and then shuts right down.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 20769
Popeye has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This does sound like the vacuum booster is leaking air. Can you hear the hiss inside the car (under the dash above the brake pedal) if you don't step on the brakes? If you can hear it, the booster is bad.

Remove the vacuum hose from the brake booster and block the opening a piece of tape. Start the car and see if the idle is stable. If the booster is bad, the car should idle normally (even in gear) with this hose blocked. Any good manual will tell you how to R&R the booster.

You can drive the car with the brake booster bypassed but you will not have any power assist so I don't recommend it.

Keep us posted.

Good luck, Popeye
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

QUOTE (popeye @ Sep 11 2009, 11:07 AM)
Quote:
This does sound like the vacuum booster is leaking air. Can you hear the hiss inside the car (under the dash above the brake pedal) if you don't step on the brakes? If you can hear it, the booster is bad.

Remove the vacuum hose from the brake booster and block the opening a piece of tape. Start the car and see if the idle is stable. If the booster is bad, the car should idle normally (even in gear) with this hose blocked. Any good manual will tell you how to R&R the booster.

You can drive the car with the brake booster bypassed but you will not have any power assist so I don't recommend it.

Keep us posted.

Good luck, Popeye[/b]
I cannot hear the hissing inside the car, stuck my head under dash. The hissing sounds like it is coming from the idle air sensor but I fixed that leak so I dont know what the heck it is.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 14196
rjcl004 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My car (2001 Taurus)did something similar to that. My vacuum leak was the 90 degree rubber connector for the PCV valve.
rjcl004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 27785
Tobiass has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (Rick2 @ Sep 11 2009, 12:18 PM)
Quote:
My car (2001 Taurus)did something similar to that. My vacuum leak was the 90 degree rubber connector for the PCV valve.[/b]

DITTO
Tobiass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 17094
Drives: 1999 Taurus SE Duratec
Scout1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Richmo,
If your vacumn leak is as bad as you say, take a piece of rubber hose and hold one end to you ear and use the other end like a stethoscope. It should roar like a jet plane. Caution on driving with your booster disconnected. I did that once to check something out and had to press so hard I came off the seat to stop. Got my heart going good. Like Popeye said just disconnect the main booster supply line and plug it, if it runs good then you have your answer.

ED
Scout1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 33566
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1999 Ford Taurus SE DURATEC 3.0 DOHC Engine
Big Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

The rubber hose holding one end to your ear and use the other end like a stethoscope was the best that worked for me in finding a leak in what is called "Vacuum Manifold" and it is located on the firewall right above the master cylinder in my 1999 Ford Taurus. The plastic manifold box had a hole. Cost $52.00 at the dealer.

Problem solved and my yellow warning light did not show up anymore. What a nightmare.
Big Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a name known to allsheila is a name known to all

^ Glad you got it fixed, but remember next time you can get that vac. tree (manifold) at a self service salvage yard for $1-5.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.