Transmission Pump? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 21640
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Spiral has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Well, I was having some odd issues with hard shifting, delayed shifting etc which I think I can now associate with a bad transmission pump. I was driving the car the other day and all of sudden at the stop light I let off the brake and the car starts rolling backwards. Seens I was going backwards I let the car roll into a parking spot and went into the coffee shop for a cup of coffee. After about 1/2 hr I started the car up put it in drive and seens I was about a mile from home I just drove it very slow in limp mode home.

I popped the hood while the car was running and there was some very loud noises almost whining but definitely failed moving part noise for sure coming from the side cover of the transmission. I checked the fluid, besides it looking like crap it was kind of bubbly.

When the car is cool or sits for a little while before being started again the transmission builds pressure, after it warms up the noise is much much more noticeable and I pretty much lose all pump pressure.
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 20769
Popeye has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Pump problems are far to common on these cars. There is a very good post on this forum called " How I Fixed my AX4N Transmission ". This post describes, in detail, a major pump failure and how the writer repaired it in the car.

I hope you find it helpful.

Good luck, Popeye
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

QUOTE (popeye @ Sep 2 2009, 10:32 AM)
Quote:
Pump problems are far to common on these cars. There is a very good post on this forum called " How I Fixed my AX4N Transmission ". This post describes, in detail, a major pump failure and how the writer repaired it in the car.

Good luck, Popeye[/b]
Yea, i actually did some reading and it sounds pretty common *YIKES*
Old 09-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

QUOTE (Spiral @ Sep 2 2009, 09:54 AM)
Quote:
Well, I was having some odd issues with hard shifting, delayed shifting etc which I think I can now associate with a bad transmission pump. I was driving the car the other day and all of sudden at the stop light I let off the brake and the car starts rolling backwards. Seens I was going backwards I let the car roll into a parking spot and went into the coffee shop for a cup of coffee. After about 1/2 hr I started the car up put it in drive and seens I was about a mile from home I just drove it very slow in limp mode home.

I popped the hood while the car was running and there was some very loud noises almost whining but definitely failed moving part noise for sure coming from the side cover of the transmission. I checked the fluid, besides it looking like crap it was kind of bubbly.

When the car is cool or sits for a little while before being started again the transmission builds pressure, after it warms up the noise is much much more noticeable and I pretty much lose all pump pressure.[/b]
With the fluid looking bubbly, sounds like it could be low, how did the level look when you checked it????

If it's low & looks bad, maybe consider a pan drop to look for untoward debris or deposits that might point to internal damage & if ok, do a pan & magnet clean up, filter replacement, replace the pan & refill it with new fluid, detach the tranny return line at the cooler to continue on with a full tranny fluid pump out as outlined atop this form & let us know how it goes.

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

QUOTE (pawpaw @ Sep 2 2009, 11:45 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Spiral @ Sep 2 2009, 09:54 AM)
Quote:

When the car is cool or sits for a little while before being started again the transmission builds pressure, after it warms up the noise is much much more noticeable and I pretty much lose all pump pressure.[/b]
With the fluid looking bubbly, sounds like it could be low, how did the level look when you checked it????

If it's low & looks bad, maybe consider a pan drop to look for untoward debris or deposits that might point to internal damage & if ok, do a pan & magnet clean up, filter replacement, replace the pan & refill it with new fluid, detach the tranny return line at the cooler to continue on with a full tranny fluid pump out as outlined atop this form & let us know how it goes.
[/b][/quote]

The transmission level looks looks good and looked good before it completely wouldn't engage so I have a hard time thinking it is a fluid level issue. One thing I am wondering is if maybe the o-ring on the pickup is shot?

Friday after work I am putting the car on the lift and Ill be tearing into it.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well, got the bottom pan off and the fluid looked HORRIBLE. I fastened the engine to the engine support bar and dropped the cradle but that is as far as I got before I got too tired to work anymore.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

QUOTE (Spiral @ Sep 4 2009, 08:40 PM)
Quote:
Well, got the bottom pan off and the fluid looked HORRIBLE. I fastened the engine to the engine support bar and dropped the cradle but that is as far as I got before I got too tired to work anymore.[/b]
Seeing as how the tranny isn't working well, the fluid looks to have been neglicted & seems to be in such bad condition, maybe you have a gummed, varnish, sludged up valve body & or tranny filter, so maybe consider cleaning things up & changing the filter, refill the pan with some inexpensive WallyWorld tranny fluid & continue on with SHOZ's home tranny fluid pump out proceedure outlined in the thread atop this forum.

Then add a dose of Auto-Rx, run it the specified 1K miles & change everything again.

Or maybe try a can of SeaFoam Trans Tune with the new fluid & filter & drive it until the problem clears up & change the fluid & filter again.

More thoughts to ponder, let us know how it goes.

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

QUOTE (pawpaw @ Sep 5 2009, 11:18 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Spiral @ Sep 4 2009, 08:40 PM)
Quote:
Well, got the bottom pan off and the fluid looked HORRIBLE. I fastened the engine to the engine support bar and dropped the cradle but that is as far as I got before I got too tired to work anymore.[/b]
Seeing as how the tranny isn't working well, the fluid looks to have been neglicted & seems to be in such bad condition, maybe you have a gummed, varnish, sludged up valve body & or tranny filter, so maybe consider cleaning things up & changing the filter, refill the pan with some inexpensive WallyWorld tranny fluid & continue on with SHOZ's home tranny fluid pump out proceedure outlined in the thread atop this forum.

Then add a dose of Auto-Rx, run it the specified 1K miles & change everything again.

Or maybe try a can of SeaFoam Trans Tune with the new fluid & filter & drive it until the problem clears up & change the fluid & filter again.

More thoughts to ponder, let us know how it goes.
[/b][/quote]

PawPaw,

I got the valve body out, the solenoids ohm'd out okay, I opened the pump housing, the veins and mating body looked good, the shaft does not spin freely or anything of those sorts and the valve body doesn't show any signs of failure.

I am going to button everything back up, run a can of trans cooler flush through the tranny cooler and see how things go.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, I have been driving the car a little bit and some thing that I noticed. The 1st to 2nd shift is still rough... I notice an RPM drift up and down a little while cruising at 60-70mph in 4th. Possibly TC unlocking /locking? Is this normal operation for the AX4N?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 22600
Dale Huber has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (Spiral @ Sep 2 2009, 10:53 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (popeye @ Sep 2 2009, 10:32 AM)
Quote:

Good luck, Popeye[/b]
Yea, i actually did some reading and it sounds pretty common *YIKES*
[/b][/quote]

I would like to look at this post, but I am having difficulty finding it. Could you point me in the right direction?
Dale Huber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement