Life Span Of Napa Waterpump? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 13062
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
wifesbull has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Replaced the water pump on my 2004 Vulcan at 34,000. Two years and 20K later, there is seepage out of the weep hole and the pump is making some bad noise. Even though NAPA has a lifetime warranty, it's a bit of a chore to replace. I am tempted to eat the $40 or so that I originally spent and go for a better pump. Any recommendations?

Dave
wifesbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 11507
93_Taurus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I would chalk it up as a bad unit and get a free replacement. NAPA is generally the best place to go for auto parts, and improvements are made to older parts designs over time that often make them even better than OEM parts. I would doubt that spending money at the dealer for a motorcraft part would do you any better than getting the napa replacement, in your situation.
93_Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 5485
gohim has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The Rebuilt Motorcraft Part is your best bet. Comes with a lifetime warranty, and they last as long as the Original Waterpump that came on the engine from the factory 100K-150K miles).

The NAPA new waterpump is made by GMB. GMB makes generic replacement waterpumps for most makes of cars, and they are JUNK. I had two of the GMBs house marked and sold by NAPA. They each lasted about 25K-30K before they died. NAPA did stand behind the replacement, and they gave me a gallon of coolant each time the their waterpumps died, but after the 2nd one, I just took a refund, and went back to Ford waterpumps.

New Ford waterpumps do not include the lifetime warranty, only the rebuilts did (at least at the time).

It take me less than an hour (first one took me about two hours) to replace the waterpumps (on my old 87 Taurus Wagon, and 96 Taurus Wagon) on their Vulcan engines. It gets faster, after you've done a few.
gohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 11699
Drives: 2003 SES DOHC *** 2004 Sable DOHC
rdanville has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Napa parts used to be good quality. maybe worth the extra $$$. They have been going down hill for a few years now. The last part I bought was made in China. I saw no reason to continue shopping there. I can buy China made parts from Autozone.
rdanville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 21317
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 1998 Ford Taurus SE
dbfruth has a little shameless behaviour in the past

A number of years ago we had a rebuilt replacement computer that also contained the voltage regulator, and a NAPA battery installed in our LeBaron. When my dad was driving the car the computer allowed the battery to overcharge and explode while going down the highway. Talk about a mess! The battery, computer, radiator cap, and few other parts had to be replaced because of the battery acid. Both my dad and I have swore off NAPA since. We have nicknamed them NAPA CRAPPA
dbfruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
soundu is on a distinguished road

QUOTE (wifesbull @ Aug 25 2009, 10:10 PM)
Quote:
Replaced the water pump on my 2004 Vulcan at 34,000. Two years and 20K later, there is seepage out of the weep hole and the pump is making some bad noise. Even though NAPA has a lifetime warranty, it's a bit of a chore to replace. I am tempted to eat the $40 or so that I originally spent and go for a better pump. Any recommendations?

Dave[/b]
I seem to get 3 to 5 years out of the aftermarket ones. I have replaced 4 or 5 of them in all the bulls i have had.
I can also tell you to be careful in getting a replacement because the pump and the gasket are different from upper
90's on up. There is an extra hole in the pump and the heater hose inlet is different. I had the auto parts store give
me a wrong gasket last time i played water pump roulette. Too many people forget about the coolant if there is no
problem. I think in a 3.0L, it should be changed every two to three years from the issues i have been seeing.

I would just get the warranty replacement. Yea, its a pain. Don't strip out the 8MM bolts.
BUT, it will force you to flush the crud out of the Vulcan every few years which is a good thing.
And putting the water hose through the water pump openings is a good way to get some of the
crud out of the block. Flush out the degass tank while your at it. There are good gen3's being junked
every day because they cooling systems where not taken care of and brown death plague killed them.

bob
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 11507
93_Taurus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (gohim @ Aug 26 2009, 01:37 AM)
Quote:
The Rebuilt Motorcraft Part is your best bet. Comes with a lifetime warranty, and they last as long as the Original Waterpump that came on the engine from the factory 100K-150K miles).[/b]

If what you're saying is true, he wouldn't have had to replace his original stock waterpump at 30 thousand miles.
93_Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 2826
Two Stooges has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have 70K miles on my orig water pump in a 2000 vulcan. Still going strong so far.
Two Stooges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 22010
Bullrunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have 109K on the factory water pump in my vulcan. No noise, leaks, and still pushes coolant through the block well.(Knock on wood) I did just replace the coolant tank and plan on flushing the system soon.
Bullrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 5485
gohim has a little shameless behaviour in the past

New Ford Motorcraft Waterpumps do not come with the lifetime warranty.

And regardless of who the manufacturer was, if you don't take care of your cooling system the usable service life of the waterpump will be
shortened.

And having an older Taurus with teh 3.8, and not a newer Vulcan with the 3.0, you haven't had to deal with the Dorman Synchroshaft Disaster. NAPA sells the CRAPPY Dorman Part under the NAPA BelKamp Brand Name.

While I still buy some NAPA Parts, each years, it's fewer and fewer as NAPA sells more and more poor quality parts made in third world toilets. A prime example are the front strut mounts made in India and Pakistan. I tried to buy some for my 96 Wagon when I was replacing the front struts, but I couldn't get two identical ones made in the same place of decent quality from NAPA. After reordering three times, and getting parts made in different places (no two alike), I went to the Ford Dealer and got two identical American made parts. Costed more money, were better made, and came with only a one year warranty, but eight years and 120K miles later, theey're still in there working.

gohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement