Power Steering Pressure Hose - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 14529
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
kvoriley27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to kvoriley27

i need to replace the o ring on the pressure hose or watever on my power steering pump, because its leaking terribly. I just replaced the pump, so i dont want to take everything apart again just to get to this hose.

Has anyone had to deal with this? is there any way i can get the pressure hose loose without taking everything apart again?
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 8134
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
ricer333 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Are you talking about that metal tubing that connects to the front of the Power Steering Reservoir? If so, then go to Autozone and pick up the small pack of o-rings (rubber) for like $2.50.

There are several sizes but b/c the rubber is a bit thicker than the normal plastic and the rubber will pinch out when you tighten everything down, you want to go with the smallest size you can get on. I just had to replace this b/c the PS Power Hose had to come off to remove the A/C Compressor. When I removed it, the plastic o-ring just fell apart in my hand.

Going with the smaller size allows for the rubber to be pressed out with the tightening of the bolt and seal up everything nicely.

NOTE: I just noticed that you have the Duratec. I would assume it's the same for you as well, but I can't be for sure. If it is, then just removing the bolt can be done (it's a tight squeeze but doable).
ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

OKay i got everything back off and went to autozone. A guy a know there said u cant buy this o-ring at a parts store, theres is one specifically for the taurus's and u can only get it at the dealership.
I went there and it only cost about 2.00, it looks about right, the guy there just said its going to be a really tight fit

UPDATE: Put the gasket on and its still spewing power steering fluid!
Sounds like im gonna have to replace the powersterring pressure hose thing, does anyone know about how much that would cost to get done?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 5485
gohim has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm not sure if the setup on the 24V power steering pumps is the same, but on the Vulcan engine power steering pumps there are actually a couple of seals where the metal hose (high pressure) connects to the side of the power steering pump (going through the tank).

The metal hose has a o-ring on it, and the thing that screws into the tank (that the hose screws into) actually has it's own o-ring.

Your wrote that you replaced the power steering pump, right? Did you buy a rebuilt pump with the tank already attached, or did you get the pump without the tank (and attached your old tank)?

If you bought a pump without the tank, did you get a replacement tank seal, and replacement o-ring for the thing that bolts through the tank for the high pressure hose?

If you bought the pump with the tank included, then you might consider taking it back.. May be that didn't install or improperly install the tank seal and/or the high pressure hose fitting, and that's where you leak is.

Did you get a warranty with the replacement tank?

Maybe the teflon seal (it's not normal plastic) got damaged when you installed it? The teflon seals are also used at the power steering rack. They are too small when you get them (forcing them on ruins them). I heat them slightly by soaking in a bowl of hot water, then slide them over the tapered shaft of a big pin punch to uniformly stretch the teflon rings just large enough so I can slide them on.
gohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA

Just wanted to post back for future people. This is the o-ring that I replaced with the rubber o-rings from AZ. I didn't think about going to the dealer to look for the little white teflon/plastic o-ring cause I honestly figured that they wouldn't have just that one part.

So far, it's just been shy of a week and no visible leaks of the fluid.

~Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ps_pressuer_hose.JPG (58.0 KB, 3382 views)
Old 07-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 16618
Drives: 2005 Mercury Sable LS, Duratec 3.0L V-6, 138,000 mi and counting
ArkanDan has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I just replaced the pump on my sable. Didn't have to, but has 134k miles on it and got a pump for $45 delivered with less than half the mileage on it. Time will tell if it was a good move. At least I have the old one for a spare now. Anyway, I got the teflon "O" rings at O'Reilly's off their "Help" rack. It is a pak of two "O" rings; sizes 11.5mm I.D. x 14mm O.D. & 13mm I.D. x 16 mm O.D.. The smaller one was what worked for me. They are Dorman product and the number of the pak is 82540. I also used the skin of a cut up beer can (I was pondering the situation and emptied it first) to slide it over the threads. Just cut out a patch that was big enough to wrap around the threads and form a sort of funnel and slipped the "O" ring right over without any ill effects. Was a warm 90° day so didn't have to heat it up beforehand. Much luck with your problem.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yep, it was the hose

I took it to a shop to get it replaced, didnt want to mess with it, cost me about 160 bucks
Old 08-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

So just wanted to post back regarding my 'fix' for the teflon/nylon o-ring seal. As you can see above, I went to Autozone and put some Rubber O-rings on in place of the teflon/nylon o-ring. Well today, I went out and started up the car. I never knew what you all talked about regarding the "power steering whining", but today I finally understand.

Damn that thing can moan, and not in the good way!

The rubber o-ring busted and the ps fluid was leaking out pretty bad. Note though, it only did it when the car was on, thus creating pressure in the hose/seal area.

So, I will be removing the pressure hose again, draining the ps fluid, and replacing it with the nylon/teflon o-rings.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

QUOTE (ricer333 @ Aug 7 2009, 09:43 AM)
Quote:
So just wanted to post back regarding my 'fix' for the teflon/nylon o-ring seal. As you can see above, I went to Autozone and put some Rubber O-rings on in place of the teflon/nylon o-ring. Well today, I went out and started up the car. I never knew what you all talked about regarding the "power steering whining", but today I finally understand.

Damn that thing can moan, and not in the good way!

The rubber o-ring busted and the ps fluid was leaking out pretty bad. Note though, it only did it when the car was on, thus creating pressure in the hose/seal area.

So, I will be removing the pressure hose again, draining the ps fluid, and replacing it with the nylon/teflon o-rings.[/b]
Did this R&R about 2 weeks ago now. I had to go to Ford Stealership and get the part. It cost just over $4 for one friggin nylon o-ring.

Some notes about installation. It's best to warm the o-ring up and stretch it out a bit. At the original size it is a TIGHT fit to get over the threads and up to the location needed. If you warm it up and stretch it out a bit, the fight gets a little easier; however, it's still a tight fit.

Just wanted to close this out with the findings for future DIY's
Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 36977
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: '93 Sable LS, 3.8 liter
Carl Huber is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't waste money on teflon/nylon rings or a new power steering hose. There is a cheap simple fix for a leaky power steering connection.

Ford uses several different connections. The one that gives the most problems is the one that uses a thin plastic O-ring to seal between between the threads of the male fitting on the end of the hose and the female fitting of the pump. Those O-rings are hard to find, are difficult to install because they have to be pre-stretched and are usually only good for a one-time installation (can't be reused if taken apart). And they only seal between the threads. If your connection also leaks between the steel line and the fitting on the end of it (inevitably it will), most mechanics will tell you it's time to replace the entire hose. Don't believe them.

Those hose connections (the kind that use the thin plastic O-rings) are designed to still be able to turn when everything is tight and have a seal between the steel tube and fitting that can't be replaced. The tube, where it protrudes from the fitting, has a conical shape that deceivingly looks like it is intended to mate with a similar surface inside the fitting of the pump, but in reality doesn't come in contact with anything. The only seal is what is inside the male fitting and tightening the hell out of it won't do any good. There's no need for the hose to turn and it's a dumb design, but it can be fixed.

I did away with the need for a plastic O-ring and simultaneously fixed the leak between the steel tube and male fitting of my hose assembly by simply inserting a thick beveled washer (the kind used to repair bathroom water taps) in the female fitting of the pump. I slightly beveled the hole of the washer so that when I screwed on the male fitting, the conical projection of the steel tube would force it out rather than cut thru it. When I tightened the fitting, the washer squished and made a perfect seal with both the conical end of the steel tube and the threads. The power steering hose no longer turns freely on the pump, but who cares. It basically cost me nothing.

Last edited by Carl Huber; 05-25-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Carl Huber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement