No Heat From Heater - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 21106
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
garthmcm has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I am looking at a '98 Taurus for sale. Supposedly owned by the sellers Grandmother... It's in real good shape except that there is no heat from the heater. The fan blows, the AC cools, but no heat comes out. After reading the posts, I have eliminated stop-leak and low coolant, and I think I learned that if the blend door actuator fails, it fails hot. I was hoping this would be a blend door issue and easy to fix. I appreciate any ideas on what this might entail to fix it, Thanks!
garthmcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

Do the hoses on the firewall to the heater core get warm when the engine is warmed up?

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 8134
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
ricer333 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (garthmcm @ Jul 21 2009, 11:18 PM)
Quote:
I am looking at a '98 Taurus for sale. Supposedly owned by the sellers Grandmother... It's in real good shape except that there is no heat from the heater. The fan blows, the AC cools, but no heat comes out. After reading the posts, I have eliminated stop-leak and low coolant, and I think I learned that if the blend door actuator fails, it fails hot. I was hoping this would be a blend door issue and easy to fix. I appreciate any ideas on what this might entail to fix it, Thanks![/b]

Yeah, sounds like the heater core is plugged. There are two hoses at the firewall behind the engine that feed from the thermostat area of the engine and the waterpump. These two hoses connect to the Heater Core. If one is hot and the other is warm when the car is at NORMAL operating temp then the heater core is plugged.

Either back flushing it will solve it or replacing it will solve it.

Kinda hard to rule out 'Stop Leak' without seeing what is in the core itself. I have had my bull for 4.5 years now and it was a fleet vehicle before that. For the longest time I had weak heat. When I got around to replacing the Heater Core the amount of stop leak that was in there was insane! I could barely blow any air through the core when i removed it.
ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 19933
dadalex has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have a 98 taurus with same problem. after I back flushed it worked for a while then got weak again. I finally flushed the whole system and that has appeared to fix the problem. I have read it is recommened to flush the cooling system every other year because the coolant reacts with the engine block and will get clogged and cause heating problems.

Good luck
dadalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement