96 Gl. Transmission (when In Overdrive) Slips Out Of Drive When Rolling To A Stop. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 20358
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Binga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi! My 96 GL 3.0 v6 auto is slipping out of gear when rolling to a stop. Then I can either wait for 10 or more seconds at an idle, or I can bump it to reverse and then back to drive and it will pickup first gear and shift through all gears just fine. This only happens when it is in overdrive. (when I say overdrive, I mean the circled (D) position of the column shifter) if I run it in D or 1 it never happens. Overdrive is downshifting to the lower gears just fine, but SOMETHING about having it in overdrive is making the tranny disengage when rolling to a stop. It goes into a neutral like non-go and the engine will rev up to no avail when trying to commute from the stop light to the on ramp with angry folks stacking up behind me. If I just drop it in neutral when rolling up on a stop, and then shift back into overdrive after stopping, the problem is completely avoided.

Surely it is something simple right? I hope somebody out there knows just what the problem is. I have read extensively on TCCA and although I didn't find anyone with the exact problem I'm having, I see that most of you guys are very knowledgable on this stuff. I think your all pretty cool too! I hope you can help me, and this will help someone else with the same problem save some $ and headaches too. Ben
Binga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 20264
Donmon has a little shameless behaviour in the past

that's an odd one, probably something electrical, mine does an odd one too, when shifting right from park to drive or overdrive, if i dont pause in reverse first to let the idle come down, it bangs into gear. yours ever do that?
Donmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

No, the tranny works smooth as silk other than the disengage while stopping feature. Is your engine idling too high?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

I've had problems with hang down shifts as you describe, that were solved by adding a half can of SeaFoam Trans Tune to the tranny fluid (don't overfill) & driving until the hang shift ceased, then dropped the tranny pan, changed the filter & did a full tranny fluid pump out with new Motorcraft fluid, as outlined in the "how to change your tranny fluid at home" thread.

I have always change my tranny fluid with the specified Motorcraft product, at or before Fords severe service call out, but still have had the tranny act up on my 94 Taurus & 99 Ranger.

Doing the SeaFoam Trans Tune cleaner upper & tranny flush routine, has always cleared them up in a few weeks of driving.

The tranny fluid has always looked ok, normal light pan deposits & clean looking filtran filter & tranny innards, no sludge, gum or varnish deposts visable anywhere, but I still have had problems, so our trannies must be extra sensitive to the slightest gum, varnish, or sludge deposits!!!!

So if you don't have a mechanical or electrical shift solenoid problem & haven't had a tranny fluid pump out & filter change lately, maybe internal tranny deposits should be on your suspect list.

Some thoughts for pondering. Let us know what you find.

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

It's a cracked forward clutch piston. When you shift it out of gear and back into OD it builds enough pressure to force the piston to engage the clutch. Normally if you're in OD and slow to a stop, the pressure slows and it flows through the crack. If you floor the gas pedal after stopping, it'll build up pressure and force the piston to engage suddenly which will feel as if you floored it in neutral and dropped the shifter into OD.

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank You for your advice.

I already drained the fluid and refilled adding Lucas Transmission Fix. The problem remains. I know changing the filter and flushing and maintenence of the like is good if done routinely through the life of a car. This one has 165000 miles on it and I don't feel the problem will be solved with fluid/cleaning maintenece.

Heres why. This is the kicker for me. The problem only exists when driving in the (D) overdrive selection. 1 and D operate fine. (D) also operates fine except when rolling to a stop. Then, @ about 1000 rpms the tranny disengages completely. If I set for about 10 secs and rev it a couple times it will then slowly catch and re-engage. Or, I can just pop it over to R and back to (D) and it works good as gold.

If there is something wrong with the pump/fluid, then why does it only have the problem in (D)? Remember, the tranny is downshifting out of overdrive just fine all the way back to 1st gear.

There is SOMETHING about driving in the overdrive position that is bringing this problem to light. Something big, mechanical and (hopefully) simple. newportnews71 said it might be something electrical.

THAT'S what I want to know.

I also know my hunch may be dead wrong so... don't get me wrong. Ben

Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 20361
gary123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Could be a cracked forward clutch piston ... but it's worth reading post at:

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/lofiversio...php/t13884.html

Before pulling transmission apart, get the stored computer error codes and run a transmission pressure test to make sure the transmission pump is working OK.
gary123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

QUOTE (Gary123 @ Jun 24 2009, 10:12 PM)
Quote:
Could be a cracked forward clutch piston ... but it's worth reading post at:

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/lofiversio...php/t13884.html

Before pulling transmission apart, get the stored computer error codes and run a transmission pressure test to make sure the transmission pump is working OK.[/b]
would I do that at advance auto or autozone?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

Neither one of those has a scantool that can access the tranny computer, so you'll need a Dealer, Tranny Shop, or higher end Gararge with a scantool that can access the tranny computer to get any stored tranny codes & it'll likey cost something.

How did the filter, old tranny fluid & pan deposits look???? Any chunks of metal, seal, or gasket material found????

Also after the pan drop & filter change, did you continue on to do a complete tranny fluid flush, to get all the old fluid out of the valve body, torque converter, cooler & lines????

Which Lucas product did you add????
EDIT:
WOOPS I see you posted that you've added "Lucas Transmssion Fix"!!!

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement