Gas Tank Removal - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 19858
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
unowho007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Arrow

New to this site. Have a leak in gas tank, and would like to know if anyone has replaced the fuel cell yet. I can do this myself, just if any tips would be helpful or any problems that can occure. I know that working with fuel is extremely dangerious.
unowho007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 4933
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002 SEL duratec
drjkel will become famous soon enough

QUOTE (unowho @ May 23 2009, 04:44 PM)
Quote:
New to this site. Have a leak in gas tank, and would like to know if anyone has replaced the fuel cell yet. I can do this myself, just if any tips would be helpful or any problems that can occure. I know that working with fuel is extremely dangerious.[/b]
Gas tank leakage is a pattern failure on the 2000-2001-2002 Taurii at least. I have replaced one on a 2000 'tec. Running the tank empty and rusty strap bolts will be your biggest problem. Drive the car until the tank is as empty as possible, then drive it around the block until she sputters. The empty tank is light. I did mine with the back end of the car hanging out of my garage for good ventilation. Beware of ANY open flame or sparks, like water heater pilot lights in your garage, air compressor start switches, garage door openers, etc. Clean the top of the old tank thoroughly before removing any of the parts. Take your time removing the parts from the top of the tank, they are all plastic and break easily. I believe I had to disassemble part of the fuel delivery module inside the tank in order to get it out of the tank. It's been about three years ago now so the memory is hazy. At least the tank is available on the aftermarket now.
drjkel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 19617
zmame has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Release the fuel pressure. For additional information, refer to Section 310-00.
Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.

Release the two clamps to the fuel tank filler tubes and remove. Disconnect the two quick release couplings from the fuel tank tubes.

Disconnect the fuel pump electrical connector.

Disconnect the fuel filter inlet tube.

Position a suitable lifting device under the fuel tank.

Remove the two fuel tank support strap bolts.

Lower the fuel tank to access the fuel pump module while swinging the fuel tank support straps away from the fuel tank.
Clean the area around the fuel pump mounting flange.
Remove the two fuel pump module fuel line R-clips and remove the fuel lines. For additional information, refer to Section 310-00.

Disconnect the fuel tank pressure sensor electrical connector.

Using the special tool, remove the fuel pump module retaining ring.(flat head screw driver and hammer )

CAUTION: The fuel pump module must be handled carefully to avoid damage to the float arm, filter and convolute hoses.

Turn the fuel pump module counterclockwise and the fuel pump module will release from the locking tabs. Remove the fuel pump module from the fuel tank.
drain the fuel from the fuel tank.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Straight from ford
zmame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 12182
Drives: a Taurus
danhasenauer has a spectacular aura about

I have changed many a fuel tank, not just Taurii. Do the job in fresh air, plan on the straps needing replacement, don't cheap out, do the sending unit AND fuel pump while the tank is out, and get a cheap set of brass tools from Harbor Freight to remove the sending unit (I got a brass drift pin set from them for like $10). Not a hard job, you just need to do it the right way.

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 4933
Drives: 2002 SEL duratec
drjkel will become famous soon enough

From my vault of history, here's what you'll be looking at when you get the tank off. The hard part on this job were the U-nuts for the tank strap bolts. They were inserted into dual slots in the frame cross member in front of the gas tank and were utterly rotten. My dealer took pity on me and gave me two new metric U-nuts gratis. This is from a duratec:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New_Gas_Tank_sm.jpg (130.9 KB, 4731 views)
drjkel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 37260
Drives: 2002 Ford Taurus ses
brenTau52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is what I know of the problem, I took the 2002 ford taurus ses to sears automotive center ftor an oil change, when the technician told me I had a substantial leak possibly around the gas tank.
I purchased this car from Drivetime in phoenix az, I work as a security officer. I am hoping that it is a problem that can be fixed right away. I have a limited warranty on the car. Just wonder if Drivetime knew about the gas leak. i can still start the car, there is no warning lights on to show a problem. There is a slight gas smell coming from the trunk when I smell while taking groceries out.
I am making payments of $167.21 bi-weekly and I bought the car with 97,000 miles on it. I purchased the car to drive back and forth to work to my job as security officer. When I pay up to $2500.00 I can trade the car in for another.
I like to trade it in now.

Last edited by brenTau52; 06-08-2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: additional
brenTau52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.