Rf Lower Engine Mount - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 18316
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
troyer27j has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Greetings. I am new to the forum here and there is a ton of info here. I have spent the better part of a few hours looking over the site to find an answer to this question I am going to pose here but havent found it yet
What is the procedure for removing the lower right front motor mount on a 2002 Taurus with engine code U ?
I took the front tire off today, the inner fender liner, had the car on a jack stand, and even removed the front wicker bill and inner front bumper liner
and still couldnt figure how you could get up inside to remove the motor mount ? I have a Haynes manual and also have a subscription to alldatadiy and neither
really helped me today. I see the 2 bolts that come through the mount but the nuts that hold it in place are inside the mount and it is physically impossible
for me to reach it as there is some sort of bracket in front of it that is attached to the ac compressor that has 2 electrical connections on it.
I know there is a 7/8 inch nut on the bottom of the mount that holds it to the bottom of the car but cannot access the other 2 bolts.

Can someone please explain in detail or post some pics or a link on how to get access to this mount ?

Thanks,

Jeff-
Clifton Park, NY
2002 Taurus
Engine Code U
65,000 miles on car
troyer27j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 02:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 181
OldWagon has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This would be (in Ford's nomenclature) the left hand engine support insulator? That's the one toward the front of the vehicle on the passenger side.

Going only by my 04 Ford Workshop Manual, you have to remove the catalytic converters (y-pipe), then the one nut underneath the mount, the one below the subframe. You then raise the engine 2 inches / 5 cm and remove the 2 engine mount bolts.

The operant question is if removing the cats and lifting the engine actually will give you access to the 2 bolts... don't know that.
1998 SE Station Wagon (R.I.P. 2/28/09 at ~186k)
2004 Taurus SE w/Vulcan & AX4N | dark shadow gray metallic | gray cloth interior | still strong at 192K+
2000 Taurus SE wagon w/Vulcan & AX4S / tropic green metallic | gray cloth interior | purchased 6/12 at 51k miles
OldWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 8024
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2006 SE Flex Fuel 75k
paker has a spectacular aura about

I did that on 2005, same engine except the flex fuel part, which has nothing to do with engine mount. According to the post that I wrote after the job, (copying and pasting)

5) To remove front motor mount,
5a) 2 sets of O2 sensor brackets are attached to the motor mount. Disconnect and cover them with aluminum foil and get out of way. (Obvious)
5b) Disconnect 2 mount-to-engine bolts. The bolts are in line of sight and this is not difficult at all. Had I elected to remove Y-pipe, the motor mount would just drop out. But I didn't and here is the price I paid.
5c) Disconnect cooling fan housing from radiator, and move to the driver's side. One electrical connector, one harness bracket, and 2 bolts, if I remember correctly. (Not difficult. It took me about 30 minutes at night.)
5d) Lift engine by engine oil pan.
5e) Slide motor mount between engine and radiator toward driver's side while lying on the back under the car. It seems impossible but can be done. Try to remember how it came out so that putting a new one will be quick and easy. If not, you will eventually figure out.

It was the first time I did that. No writeups in this forum helped me, and I had to figure it out by myself. What I am trying to say is you can do it.

EDIT: By the way, you have to remove the top torque strap prior to this.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

Member Number: 4508
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2010 SEL 2000 Tec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
00tec-satx is on a distinguished road

QUOTE (paker @ Apr 28 2009, 10:24 PM)
Quote:
5d) Lift engine by engine oil pan.[/b]

No

00tec-satx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 8024
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2006 SE Flex Fuel 75k
paker has a spectacular aura about

QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Apr 28 2009, 11:26 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (paker @ Apr 28 2009, 10:24 PM)
Quote:
5d) Lift engine by engine oil pan.[/b]

No
[/b][/quote]
Listen to him.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 8675
mt_goat has a little shameless behaviour in the past

On my 3.0 OHV here is one lift point. It takes a 10mm X 1.5 x 20mm bolt:

And here was the factory lift eye on the back passenger side:

95 Taurus 3.0L Vulcan (Totalled out by hail and gone to someone else now)
mt_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 18316
troyer27j has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Ok update on the motor mount- I hired a person from a local auto body shop I know and I watched how he did this.

He went through the front grill on the bottom with a long extension and a swivel to recach the two bolts that hold the mount in place. He also removed what he called
the access cover that is a small piece of metal that is held in with 1 bolt. The motor mount came out through the front of the lower frame near the left front portion of the
radiator. The job was done in about 1hr. No need to remove the wheel on the right or the inner fender liner.

He also raised the oil pan up using a portable lift with a few blocks of wood to take the pressure off the engine. Thank you to all that responded to my question here

troyer27j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement