Radiator Hose Replacement On A 2000 Taurus, With Duratec Engine - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 3617
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2000 Taurus SE, 3.0L DOHC, AX4N, 164,000 miles.
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
topgunovrtx has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Replacing the radiator hoses on a 2000 Ford Taurus, with the Duratec engine, is more involved than it appears. The biggest challenge and surprise involved the top Thermostat Housing/Water Outlet Hose. This is the molded hose blocking access to the PCV Valve. Absolutely no one could tell me for certain what the Ford or Motorcraft part no. was. This included all local auto parts stores, as well as the local Ford and Mercury dealers. It became the most difficult item I ever had to identify. It turned out to be Motorcraft KM-4635 (F6DZ-8A507-CA), $48.79, RockAuto.com. Ford wanted $85.00. The remaining top hoses were Dayco 71937, $28.79; Dayco 71938, $8.62; and Dayco 70854, $6.65, all from RockAuto.com. I also installed one of the lower radiator hoses, Dayco 71939, $20.79, RockAuto.com. One is left for another day. Hoses were replaced at 103,000 miles.

I applied silicone dielectric grease to the nipples, which eases installation and removal. Hopefully, my experience will benefit others.
topgunovrtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good info thanks
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 19612
amosnov has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thanks topgunovrtx for your info, on friday I fired up my 1996 Taurus and a few blocks from home the front end disappeared in steam. Having had this experience in an early life with a different car I flipped on the fan to max and the heat to max and reached home just as thermostat guage passed 3/4. It never rose above 3/8 normally. Once the hood was up I saw coolant sprayed all over the engine and a coolant hose separated from the upper radiator bypass hose tee.

You are correct about how hard it is to identify the part. I ended up having to pull the tee (a pvc section that connects three main hoses and a fourth much smaller hose that I assume is used for a sensor) from the car and cart it around to auto parts dealers. Only a Ford dealership could give me the part number F6DZ8584BD and he priced it at $97 CAD. This part no. does not turn up in a google search and unfortunately there is no way to confirm the part numbers you gave will work for my '96. Seem's I'm stuck with Ford price markups.

One short bitch session, this pvc tee is a very bad design for a "high performance" engine. The intake is a standard male nozzle ~3 or 4mm thick over which the host is clamped but the two tee outlets are of a female variety. Here the two outlet hoses fit between a thick ~3mm outer casing and a thin less than 1mm thick nozzle that slides inside the hose to secure and clamp. It is the thin inner nozzle that failed allowing the hose to slip out. If all three connections had been of the inlet type (hose fits over thick nozzle and clamped over top of hose) this failure never would have occured. This is hose/connector 101, someone tried to get fancy rather than sticking with the tried and true. p.s. I just eyeballed the measurements above but basically it comes down to thick and sturdy vs thin and fragile.

I'll remember the silicon grease part when my new tee and hoses show up, thanks again topgunovrtx.
amosnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 37411
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2000 sable duratec
rdelara is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Thermostat Housing/Water Outlet Hose picture

Thanks to all that posted their great information. I was able to change it out from the information people had posted. (June, 2011)

If you can find this part from an auto store, you are a better man that I. I had to go through a dealer.

I have attached a picture from the parts manual to help those in the future. The part number for the assembly I needed was F6DZ8584BD = $65 from FORD. (June, 2011)

The part on the picture is 8584.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 8584BD.pdf (53.5 KB, 492 views)
rdelara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35029
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1996 Sable LS, 3.0L V6 24V Duratec, AX4N
SoNic67 has a spectacular aura about

The alternative to the expensive 8584 was discussed here a while ago...
It's a 1.5"x22" radiator hose used in some Jeeps/Dodges. Has a sping inside and it can be fixed with a zip-tie.

SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

^+1.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement