Dash Removal Procedure - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 8134
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
ricer333 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This writeup is being written as part of a larger how to concerning the Heater Core/Evaporator Core black box R&R.

I recently did this with the assistance of a mechanic that I enlisted from Craigslist (yes, we negotiated one heck of a price. He earned some cash and I had piece of mind that it was going to be done right. Also saved a heck of a lot of green )

If you have a floor shifter, please see Floor Shifter Console Removal Procedure that I have written up first. You will need to get that out of the way before trying to remove the dash.

First remove the Glove Box and Integrated Control Panel (stereo in basic terms). The glove box has 2 smaller bolts that are removed and it just drops down. For the ICP, just take two removal hooks, place them into the holes on each side of the radio and pull out. Disconnect any wires in the back.

Now, use a spatula to pry up the plastic front cowl piece. Remove the 3 bolts that are holding the dash to the firewall.
[attachment=29194:dash_removal_1.JPG]

again, use the spatula to pry up the plastic on both the Drivers side and Passenger side door areas to reveal two large bolts. Remove both of these on both sides (4 bolts total).
[attachment=29195:dash_removal_2.JPG]

Remove the steering wheel
Steering Wheel Removal:
Basically the procedure is to remove two little gold bolts that hold the cover (under the steering column) on. Pry that cover off.
Remove two more bolts for the stabilizer bar (bar that the OBDII port is connected two.
Last remove 4 bolts that hold the column to the dash. If you want to remove the column from the firewall/dash altogether, then loosen one bolt at the y-joint.
[attachment=29198:steering..._removed.JPG]

Back to the dash. Make sure to unplug all the electronic connections possible (sorry no pics of that). Most of them will be on the drivers side by the fuse box. Check and double check. Once all the connections are free'd up, then roll the dash forward
[attachment=29196:dash_removal_3.JPG]

Installation will be reverse of the removal. Before bolting things down, make sure to check that A/C, Heat, fans, lights, everything works right. You don't want to put it all back together just to find out that a vacuum hose was not connected at all and thus causing the blender door not to work properly do you (take it from me... you don't want to!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash_removal_1.JPG (32.0 KB, 2302 views)
File Type: jpg dash_removal_2.JPG (29.3 KB, 1838 views)
File Type: jpg dash_removal_3.JPG (44.3 KB, 2567 views)
File Type: jpg steering_column_removed.JPG (75.5 KB, 2034 views)
ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 8675
mt_goat has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Good to know, thanks!

95 Taurus 3.0L Vulcan (Totalled out by hail and gone to someone else now)
mt_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 13107
showec8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to showec8

would that basicly be the same as a gen 3?
showec8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA

QUOTE (showec8 @ Apr 19 2009, 08:39 PM)
Quote:
would that basicly be the same as a gen 3?[/b]

From what I have read, the GenIII and GenIV dash removal is very similar. I can't say from personal experience, maybe someone else on TCCA can confirm or deny this?
Old 05-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 25620
lightaddict08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I realize this is a dead thread, but is it possible to just loosen the 4 steering wheel bolts so it will drop down, but not completely pull out the steering wheel? or do you need it completely out?
lightaddict08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 12182
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: a Taurus
danhasenauer has a spectacular aura about

QUOTE (lightaddict08 @ May 1 2010, 10:59 AM)
Quote:
I realize this is a dead thread, but is it possible to just loosen the 4 steering wheel bolts so it will drop down, but not completely pull out the steering wheel? or do you need it completely out?[/b]
You don't have to remove the steering wheel, or even the whole dash for that matter, to replace the heater core. It's in the topic finder on how to do it....

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

QUOTE (drh1957 @ May 1 2010, 12:08 PM)
Quote:
Quote:
I realize this is a dead thread, but is it possible to just loosen the 4 steering wheel bolts so it will drop down, but not completely pull out the steering wheel? or do you need it completely out?[/b]
You don't have to remove the steering wheel, or even the whole dash for that matter, to replace the heater core. It's in the topic finder on how to do it....
[/b][/quote]

I am replacing the A/C Evaporator Core, not the Heater Core, So I need to pull everything out because it runs up and down rather than diagonally.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

QUOTE (lightaddict08 @ May 1 2010, 12:14 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (drh1957 @ May 1 2010, 12:08 PM)
Quote:
Quote:
[/b][/quote]

I am replacing the A/C Evaporator Core, not the Heater Core, So I need to pull everything out because it runs up and down rather than diagonally.
[/b][/quote]

You will need to pull the entire dash to get to the Evaporator Core. Unlike the heater core, the Evaporator Core is INSIDE and ONLY accessible by dismantling the 'black box'. The heater core is *technically* inside the 'black box' as well, but they have a special access panel that can be removed (after removing the blender door actuator.

Some TIPS after having done this. BE CAREFUL with the tab that holds the bar for the blender door actuator. You may not have to even touch this b/c you are not dealing with the heater core, but if you snap it off, the blender door will not work and you will only have A/C, Heat going through the Defrost.

Try to be as delicate as you can with the padding. It is used to prevent things rattling around under the dash. The padding I'm talking about resides around the two cores.

good luck!
Old 05-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh yeah, when removing the steering column, make sure not to loose the spring and flat metal circle that holds the back of the column (down where you unbolt it from the firewall). If you do, you will have an awful rattle when going over bumps and turning the column... TRUST ME!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

well, I did the whole thing today with Bull Geek, and it was a LOT of fun. sarcastically. The steering Column never had to come out, but the shift indicator had to be removed. Also, the whole dash never had to be removed either, we just rolled it forward and kept most of the electrical connectors there. Of course, you will have a lot more room if you take it out, but we dealt with it otherwise. the trickiest part for us was either the spring clips for the AC lines or how it was wedged between the firewall and the rear heating/cooling ducts. Everything else wasn't THAT hard, but I'm going to try to do a full writeup, with a lot of pictures that we took. it was a fun, but long and hot day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement