Replacing Shifter Cable On 01 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 18304
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
rastuso has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Today, after work my shifter was obviously loose, and I couldn't get out of park. My mechanic neighbor says it's the cable that needs replaced. He does Hondas, but does other stuff at home if he can do it. He said some of Honda's require to riase up the car to get at the cable.

How tough is it to replace this cable? Since it's a column shifter, I can't imagine you have to get under the car to replace it. I'd prefer him to do it for me as the local dealer is slime. I could only find info on here about replacing a floor mounted shifter cable.

Anybody replaced this on thier own before?

Thanks,

Jason
rastuso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 02:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 15023
Drives: 2004 Taurus SES--3.0L OHV--FFV--Black
fonicsmonkey will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to fonicsmonkey Send a message via MSN to fonicsmonkey

This is from the Haynes Manual for years 1996-2005

MODELS WITH COLUMN SHIFT:

Shift Cable Removal

---Remove the screws and lift off the upper steering column shroud. Disconnect the cruise control actuator cable if equipped. On 2000 and later models, remove the trim panel below the steering column, rather than the upper shroud.

---Locate the ignition lock cylinder release pin access hole on the bottom of the lower steering column shroud. Insert an awl into the hole, push in on the pin to release it, turn the lock cylinder to the Run position, then remove the ignition lock cylinder from the steering column.
---Remove the lower steering column shroud and the knee bolster from the instrument panel.
---Rotate the shift indicator adjustment wheel clockwise to disengage the indicator cable end from the column lever. Pull the cable far enough through the adjuster so the assembly can hang clear of the steering column.
---Refer to the instrument panel removal procedure in Chapter 3 and remove the steering column, disconnecting the shift cable from the ball stud on the shift lever. On 2000 and later models, it isn't necessary to remove the instrument panel or steering column...there is access from the left side of the column to pry the cable off the ball stud.
---Attach a length of wire, longer than the shift cable, to the steering column end of the shift cable.
---Remove the nut and disconnect the shift cable from the control lever and bracket on the transaxle.
---Push the rubber shift cable grommet free from the firewall, then slowly pull the cable through the firewall from the engine compartment. Make sure the length of wire does not pull through the firewall.
---On 1996 through 1999 models, remove the nut and bolts securing the cable bracket to the transaxle and remove the bracket assembly. On 2000 and later models, pull up the lock-tab at the shift cable bracket on the transaxle, then pull the cable from the bracket.

Shift Cable Installation & Adjustment

---Disconnect the wire from the old shift cable and attach it to the new one. Then, attach the cable bracket to the transaxle and gently pull the wire to draw the new cable through the firewall.
---Complete the installation by connecting the cable, reattaching the steering column tube, fitting the indicator adjustment wheel, and attaching the shrouds.
---Set the parking brake securely and block the wheels.
---Place the driver's gear selector lever in Drive (models equipped with an Overdrive On/Off button on the shift lever) or OD (models not so equipped). Have an assistant hold it firmly in position.
---Loosen the cable nut at the transaxle control lever and place the control lever in the second detent from the rear position. (The "rear" position is actually when the end of the lever is moved as far to the left (driver's) side of the vehicle as it will go).
---Tighten the cable nut and check the transaxle operation in each gear selector position.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

QUOTE (fonicsmonkey @ Mar 6 2009, 01:37 AM)
Quote:
This is from the Haynes Manual for years 1996-2005

MODELS WITH COLUMN SHIFT:

Shift Cable Removal

---Remove the screws and lift off the upper steering column shroud. Disconnect the cruise control actuator cable if equipped. On 2000 and later models, remove the trim panel below the steering column, rather than the upper shroud.

---Locate the ignition lock cylinder release pin access hole on the bottom of the lower steering column shroud. Insert an awl into the hole, push in on the pin to release it, turn the lock cylinder to the Run position, then remove the ignition lock cylinder from the steering column.
---Remove the lower steering column shroud and the knee bolster from the instrument panel.
---Rotate the shift indicator adjustment wheel clockwise to disengage the indicator cable end from the column lever. Pull the cable far enough through the adjuster so the assembly can hang clear of the steering column.
---Refer to the instrument panel removal procedure in Chapter 3 and remove the steering column, disconnecting the shift cable from the ball stud on the shift lever. On 2000 and later models, it isn't necessary to remove the instrument panel or steering column...there is access from the left side of the column to pry the cable off the ball stud.
---Attach a length of wire, longer than the shift cable, to the steering column end of the shift cable.
---Remove the nut and disconnect the shift cable from the control lever and bracket on the transaxle.
---Push the rubber shift cable grommet free from the firewall, then slowly pull the cable through the firewall from the engine compartment. Make sure the length of wire does not pull through the firewall.
---On 1996 through 1999 models, remove the nut and bolts securing the cable bracket to the transaxle and remove the bracket assembly. On 2000 and later models, pull up the lock-tab at the shift cable bracket on the transaxle, then pull the cable from the bracket.

Shift Cable Installation & Adjustment

---Disconnect the wire from the old shift cable and attach it to the new one. Then, attach the cable bracket to the transaxle and gently pull the wire to draw the new cable through the firewall.
---Complete the installation by connecting the cable, reattaching the steering column tube, fitting the indicator adjustment wheel, and attaching the shrouds.
---Set the parking brake securely and block the wheels.
---Place the driver's gear selector lever in Drive (models equipped with an Overdrive On/Off button on the shift lever) or OD (models not so equipped). Have an assistant hold it firmly in position.
---Loosen the cable nut at the transaxle control lever and place the control lever in the second detent from the rear position. (The "rear" position is actually when the end of the lever is moved as far to the left (driver's) side of the vehicle as it will go).
---Tighten the cable nut and check the transaxle operation in each gear selector position.[/b]

THANKS!!!! Looks like since mine is a 2001, this isn't a tough job, just removing some trim around the column and pulling the wire through. I could almost do it, but hope my neighbor will help me out.

Jason
Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, I'll follow up on this for folks in the future. Everything went great. The new cable costs $75. My old one had snapped inside the casing at one of the pivot joints. So, I could shift TO park, but not OUT of park.

The job was very simple. We didn't remove any of the cowling. If you lay on your back and get under the dash, you can see the cable come in and where it snaps on to the shifter. Everything else was spot on in the directions. Thanks a bunch!

It took us about 30 minutes while shooting the ****. I probably could have even done it myself, and I'm fairly worthless with fixing cars.

The 'ole girl should be ready to keep on going now. SHe's only got 70,000 miles on her.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.