Yellow Flashing Gear-shaped Warning Light - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 18270
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
bairdjc has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hey - first time here - didn't know this place existed or it probably could have saved me $$!

Anyway, 2001 Taurus SE Auto DOHV (VIN S), about 160k miles.

Wife drives the car - we are the 2nd owners and it's had at least 3 accidents - all front-end although they were relatively minor fb's. (if this is relevant). I do all maintenance mostly - brakes, oil changes, etc etc.

My wife drives the car like it's a racecar - too impatient to let the auto tranny SHIFT before applying the gas. The tranny has been slipping for awhile now but nothing major - what you'd usually expect with a high mileage car.

Last weekend, after changing out the starter (#2), I noticed on the drive home that the gear-shaped warning light was flashing yellow indicating some sort of tranny issue. The fluid level was fine - rather dark but fine. It's never been flushed AFAIK.

On the ride home - no noticeable difference in driveability, although I thought I noticed that it could have upshifted at highway speeds, but that might have just been because I was thinking about it (2200RPM at 65-70MPH sound OK?). If you turn the car off then back on, the light will be off but then come on again after some period of driving. I think the duration of time off/driving might be linked so that would indicate a temperature problem although again this might just be because I'm thinking about possible issues.

I've never touched the tranny - fluid is the same as when we bought it ~ 90k miles ago, and it's never complained in that time either.

I asked a shop friend of mine and he suggested a flush & fill (tranny). I *could* do this myself but I frankly don't have the time so it's going in the shop on Friday.

Any thoughts? If the flush doesn't fix it, I'll try some of that Lucas stuff. This will be the end-of-the-line for the car - I'm not dumping $$ into a new tranny/rebuild.
bairdjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 17127
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES Vulcan w/ AX4N
01vulcantaurus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Well, right before you unload it on someone, pull the battery to reset the light and then put saw dust in your transmission.
01vulcantaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 1807
fojt19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to fojt19

a flush may make it worse esp. if you've never done it it before
Old 03-05-2009, 05:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 17689
zzman has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You might check out Auto-RX for the tranny: http://www.auto-rx.com/auto-rxnet/index.html
Old 03-05-2009, 06:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 4131
millermagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to millermagic

The RPM for the speed sounds right.

Doesn't the light mean it is overheating?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 18231
2000sable has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Smile

QUOTE (ZZman @ Mar 5 2009, 07:04 AM)
Quote:
You might check out Auto-RX for the tranny: http://www.auto-rx.com/auto-rxnet/index.html[/b]
It might mask the problem for a little while but in the end it will guarantee your transmission will be destroyed and probably cost more to fix than if you just fixed it now.

2000sable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

If the light is on, there will be a tranny code stored in the PCM. Get it read by a local parts store, and report back.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

I too would suggest you have the computer scanned for trouble codes & post ALL the code numbers found & the sequence in which they were pulled.

If your of a mind to have the tranny fluid changed/flushed, maybe consider having them also drop the pan to inspect for deposit kind & quantity or pan debris, clean the pan & magnet & change the tranny filter, as a pan drop & filter change isn't normally done on a flush service.
So we have to ask for & pay a little extra for it.

As this tranny's service history is unkown, I'd also forgo the "solvent flush" part of the tranny service, because if you have heavy deposits of sludge, gum, tar, varnish, carbon, the solvent part of the flush could loosen too much, too soon & clog something important up.

As I mentioned, with the normal tranny flush service, the pan isn't normally dropped, to clean it or change the filter, so if you don't know how heavy the deposits are, any debris stirred up by the flush solvent & on their way out of the pan, will first have to be strained through the tranny filter, which isn't going to be changed, just further clogging it up. Not a good idea imo.

So consider having them do a pan drop, filter change, refill the pan & continue on with the full tranny fluid pumpout, (minus the solvet flush) while shifting through all the gears, to flush the valve body, torque converter, cooler & lines, might be a good way to go.

This way you'll get a new filter & all new fluid in there wihout the chance of stirring up so much debris with the solvent part of the flush.

The new tranny fluid has a detergent ad pack in it, so it will begin to sloooowly tidy things up inside, so you might get some shift improvement with just new fluid.

Seeing as how you don't know what the tranny deposit load may be, I'd not consider using any tranny additives just yet.

If the shop says things look ok inside after the pan drop & shifting improves with the new fluid, but doesn't completely clear up & you think lingering deposits may be the cause, then maybe consider Auto-Rx for trannies, or maybe half a can of Seafoam Trans Tune & see how things go.

So negoiate the tranny service routine & price. Around here a pan drop, filter change & fluid pumpout is about $150.

Some places will let you provide your own fluid, so that your sure the specified fluid is going in.

Tranny shops pump all kinds of different fluids through their machines, Ford Dealers are supposed to have a machine with dedicated resrvoirs for the different fluids, so they don't get mixed with the residuals of other fluids going in.

The Home DIY proceedure in the WIKI is easy to do & can save about $100, if we do the pan drop, filter change & tranny pump out ourselves. plus we know the right fluid is going in.

A whole bunch more tranny flush thoughts for pondering, let us know how it goes.

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 3969
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4.6
Trader Score: 1 reviews
rdh2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (Millermagic @ Mar 5 2009, 06:25 AM)
Quote:

Doesn't the light mean it is overheating?[/b]
The light being on can indicate the transmission is/has overheated. It could also indicate a fault in the transmission. The code will have to be read by a shop with the capability of reading trans codes. AutoZone, Advance, etc. cannot read trans codes.

On my '02 when the light came on, the cause was a stuck TCC valve in the valve body.

2002 Taurus SE "Evelyn" 221K+ miles 3.0 Vulcan AX4S - RIP
1995 Taurus GL "Bonnie" 72000 miles 3.0 Vulcan AX4N - RIP

If you need help with a Taurus problem, feel free to PM me or www.taurusowners.com
rdh2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE (rdh2 @ Mar 5 2009, 08:44 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Millermagic @ Mar 5 2009, 06:25 AM)
Quote:

Doesn't the light mean it is overheating?[/b]
The light being on can indicate the transmission is/has overheated. It could also indicate a fault in the transmission. The code will have to be read by a shop with the capability of reading trans codes. AutoZone, Advance, etc. cannot read trans codes.

On my '02 when the light came on, the cause was a stuck TCC valve in the valve body.
[/b][/quote]

Are you sure AZ, etc cant read trans codes? I know AZ, etc cant read C, B or U codes, but as far as I know all tranny codes are P codes, which the parts stores can read. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.