Front End Grinding Noise - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 07:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 12257
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
taurusdriver03 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

[size=5] HI Friends! I've got a question and was hoping maybe somebody out there could help me try to figure out what is making this damn noise on my 99 Taurus. Over the summer I replaced wheel bearing, struts, strut mounts, brakes, tie rods, etc... One thing that I did not replace that I just replaced the other day was the drive axles (had a bad vibration up front especially at higher speeds) well that fixed that problem. For quite some time though, I have gotten like this grinding noise in the front when I am either pulling into parking spots and applying the brake. I took it back to the shop thinking that maybe the brakes were grinding - but no such luck. They thought maybe I was getting the grinding from the axles, but since I just replaced those, it is still making this noise. So.... what might else it be? I swear it sounds like grinding, and it seems to get worse when the car has been driven for a while. Then it will do it all the time when I am applying the break. I can hear it in the car and I can also feel the grinding noise. It's not the brakes though, they are new and I have had them checked twice now. Since I have replaced everything in the front end, I have no idea what would be making the car do this? Could perhaps it be something to do with the tranny? Anybody else ever have this happen? It makes this grinding noise when I am slowing the car down, especially when stopping the car completely. It's quite strange that's for sure. Any help/advise you can offer me would be greatly appreciated. If you need further information, let me know. Thanks in advance for your time. TJ
taurusdriver03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 140
spridget has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to spridget

Obviously, the first place to look is the brake system.... but since you've had it checked twice, let's think of some other possibilities... what's the condition of the front subframe bushings? Any other unusual noises?
spridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2009, 03:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Obviously, the first place to look is the brake system.... but since you've had it checked twice, let's think of some other possibilities... what's the condition of the front subframe bushings? Any other unusual noises?
[/b]
I'm not quite sure on the condition of the bushings actually. Last I knew they were ok, but many miles later they could be worn. I will have to check into that one. The grinding noise which sounds to me like metal rubbing together only seems to happen when I am applying the brake to slow the car down. After the car has been driven for some time it seems to be even worse in my opinion. Like I mention, I have replaced all the brakes, rotors and drums on the vehicle with high quality parts yet the boot and the shop gives me the all clear on them. Leading me to be even more confused. The car has been doing this now for some time, and it seems to me like it is getting worse. When I take the car in they can't find anything because I have replaced just about everything on the front end now. Maybe I need to take it to the dealer. Not only can you hear the grinding noise, but I also feel it while in the car. It will only do it though when I am reducing my speed. I am going to have a friend drive the car today so he can give me his opinion on what the noise sounds like and what exactly is being done to the vehicle to make it make the grinding noise. I will let you know later on today. Thanks for your input. TJ
Old 01-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 140
spridget has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to spridget

Good. I think a second pair of ears may help.
spridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 1387
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1997 Ford Taurus GL 2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium
firespirit has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to firespirit Send a message via MSN to firespirit Send a message via Yahoo to firespirit

I'll let you know what I find when it comes to my car (97), because I'm experiencing the same grinding.

It only happens when I'm slowing down, turning or reversing and applying the brake. It feels like it's the ABS system because I can feel the pulsation in my pedal. My tires look slightly low, and I will be airing them up in a few minutes here, but I'm not sure that's really the problem. It might be time to replace subframe bushings though.

I am taking it in for a free front end inspection at work and seeing what we can find there.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to firespirit Send a message via MSN to firespirit Send a message via Yahoo to firespirit

Well, the subframe bushings are worn but I'm not sure that's the cause of my grinding noise although I will be replacing the bushings with ALSFB soon enough. My right outer tie rod seems to be slightly loose, and my tires have more inner wear than all over wear obviously indicating I need an alignment.

Nothing directly points to the source though. I guess I shall tackle the problems one by one.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, the subframe bushings are worn but I'm not sure that's the cause of my grinding noise although I will be replacing the bushings with ALSFB soon enough. My right outer tie rod seems to be slightly loose, and my tires have more inner wear than all over wear obviously indicating I need an alignment.

Nothing directly points to the source though. I guess I shall tackle the problems one by one.
[/b]
I replaced the tie rod ends this summer along with everything else I did. And I got 4 new tires, because I was wearing my tires also out the outside. Can you let me know if you replace the subframe bushings if it stops that grinding noise? Did you take your car in yet to see what is making it do that noise? Tj
Old 02-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
I replaced the tie rod ends this summer along with everything else I did. And I got 4 new tires, because I was wearing my tires also out the outside. Can you let me know if you replace the subframe bushings if it stops that grinding noise? Did you take your car in yet to see what is making it do that noise? Tj [/b][/quote]

Tj, thats what Matt, the mechanic in the shop told me: Bushings are worn, R-Outer tie rod slightly loose, inner wear on tires, oh and a dirty air filter (but that's nothing in this case)

I believe I'll be picking up my subframe bolts and replacing the bushings within the month of February. I just have to get the Trans-Am out of the garage before I can work on my car. I will update as I try more things. Please, if you find the source - let me know so I can check it! It's really annoying for this to happen.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 113
rudedog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rudedog Send a message via MSN to rudedog Send a message via Yahoo to rudedog

Ball joints or endlinks maybe, unless you already did those too, and just didn't mention it?

May 2008 Car of The Month/Car of the Year 2008
'93 GL 3.0L, BOOTY'S BLUE BUCKET O' BOLTS
February Car of the Month T.S.O.C.
March Car of The Month T.C.C.A.
2003 SES 3.0L, GHOST

'93 SHO 3.2L, SNIPER SHO
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 13722
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1996 Ford Taurus G 3.0 OHV "Vulcan" No longer with us. :(
DaveX 3.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

When you say you can feel the grinding noise, where do you feel it mostly? In the pedal? The Seat? The steering wheel?

Previous cars:
1997 Geo Prizm
1996 Ford Taurus G

Formerly "Mr. X"
DaveX 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.