Coolant Flow Direction - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 15038
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
mmmfloorpie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to mmmfloorpie Send a message via MSN to mmmfloorpie Send a message via Yahoo to mmmfloorpie

Sorry, I know there are a million coolant related questions this time of year... I just have a really quick question tho, on the Vulcan, which way does the coolant flow through the heater core? Does the hot coolant flow from the driver's side to the passenger side or from the passenger side to the driver's side? I just got a coolant flush because it had never been changed and it was a nasty brown colour... Just tonight I seem to be getting lukewarm air with the heat all the way up... I checked the temp of the bypass line and the heater core lines and the bypass is super hot, and the line leading into the heater core on the driver's side is super hot too, while the line on the passenger side of the heater core is lukewarm. I'm interested in the direction of the flow so I can tell whether this is normal, or if there is a clog in the core somewhere... Oh and so I can complain to the dealer if there is a problem! I got a longish commute tomorrow and if it isn't as hot as before I got the flush, it's going back.

mmmfloorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder

Member Number: 10385
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 87twagon 96taurus 99sable. 00twagon. 01taurus 04taurus
major will become famous soon enough

Heated coolant moves from the drivers side to the core/ bypass. Then from the core to the waterpump. I hate that bypass hose, takes too much pressure away from the core.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to mmmfloorpie Send a message via MSN to mmmfloorpie Send a message via Yahoo to mmmfloorpie

Quote:
Heated coolant moves from the drivers side to the core/ bypass. Then from the core to the waterpump. I hate that bypass hose, takes too much pressure away from the core.
[/b]
Thanks. Does coolant always flow through the core, or does something stop the flow when the system is off?

Old 01-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder

Member Number: 10385
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 87twagon 96taurus 99sable. 00twagon. 01taurus 04taurus
major will become famous soon enough

It always flows. Only when the heat is selected does a flapper devert forced air to the core.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Coolant always flows from the hot side of the T-stat to the heater core.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

I admit, I really don't know my way around an engine bay, but I'm slowly learning... Just this fall I learned where the MAF is, the IAC and the throttlebody! Someday I hope to figure out where the T stat is, where the spark plugs are and what in the heck "coils" are... Lolz.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 8134
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
ricer333 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I admit, I really don't know my way around an engine bay, but I'm slowly learning... Just this fall I learned where the MAF is, the IAC and the throttlebody! Someday I hope to figure out where the T stat is, where the spark plugs are and what in the heck "coils" are... Lolz.
[/b]

Good questions though. I had a tough time. There is a write up (search for Clinton Flush). Anyways, the earlier post is right. It flows from Driver side to the Passenger side. The water pump is one of the last areas before the radiator cools the coolant to put it back into the engine.

The heater core can become blocked up, so FORD added the bypass hose to prevent the coolant from NOT circulating in the case that happened. But I do agree with the earlier post. I just back flushed my core and the bypass hose just takes so much pressure away that the core rarely gets enough coolant into it to heat properly

But such is life. I could always pinch the bypass hose off and force the coolant though the core more and maybe I might just do that. But that's really the only other option other than removing the entire dash (which I'm not going to do) and replacing the core itself.
ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

I think the weather is the culprit of my less than hot air... Driving around in 5F degree weather has to make the air you get out of the heater core alot cooler... Yesterday while driving on the highway, it WAS 5F and I pretty much drove the entire way home (about an hour) with the blower on high and the temp on the highest setting... The cabin never got "hot," but it was warm (probably 72F or so)... Today while driving the same route (with 20F degree temp) the cabin got hot and I drove pretty much the entire way home with the blower on "2" and the temp on just under the hottest setting... I'm used to the air being too hot and having to adjust it alot on the drive home because I start to sweat buckets; so I guess I got a little scared when I was driving home with the heater on as high as it could go and not really getting past a comfortable setting...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement