Dead Battery Again, Clicking Noise - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 17018
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
twiztedstudiez has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to twiztedstudiez Send a message via MSN to twiztedstudiez Send a message via Yahoo to twiztedstudiez

I bought a new battery a couple days ago and have drove with it a couple times since then and everything seemed fine. Today I went out to my car to turn the tires so I could start working on the CAI and the battery is dead AGAIN. Completely dead. When I try to turn the ignition I hear a constant clicking noise down by the brake pedal.

Click-click-click-click.... even with the keys out of the ignition.

I'm pretty mad now that I bought this battery and it worked fine for a few days and now it's dead again. Any ideas on what it might be? And what is clicking.
twiztedstudiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 5485
gohim has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Your car probably has a bad/or some bad connections between the battery, the alternator, the starter, and chassis ground.

The battery will not charge without good solid electrical connections. The alternator connects with the positive battery terminal down on the starter, and and with ground on the left inner fender.

On my Taurus Wagon, the ground connection on the left inner fender was covered with cloth electrical tape at the Ford Factory (probably to protect it from corrosion. The connection was slightly corroded, and loose when I removed the tape to inspect it when I had a similar problem to yours.
gohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

While gohim is most probably right, once many years ago, I had a brand new battery last all of 2 weeks due to a shorted cell. Might want to get the new batt checked out just for the heck of it.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 17018
twiztedstudiez has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to twiztedstudiez Send a message via MSN to twiztedstudiez Send a message via Yahoo to twiztedstudiez

I'm thinking it's the connections on the battery terminals. I played around with them a bit and pushed them down hard and the car started right up after about 2-3 trys of moving the cables around on the terminals.

The ends of the cable that connect to the battery posts are definitely rusted/corroded quite a bit, mainly the negative side. Is there better quality cables I can buy to replace them and does anyone have a how-to on how to do it. Also, I have a sound system (been unhooked for a while since I'm redoing my trunk liner) so I'd also like a battery cable that's easy to hook my amp to.

The ground cable from the battery is in perfect condition and is still factory tight.

Here's a picture:
twiztedstudiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement