Won't Accept Fuel....fuel Gaged Pegged At "f"?!?! - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 15758
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
nyjeepman has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have an 98' Taurus LX (non-Flex fuel) and it just started not accepting fuel while pumping at a gas station. Also (not sure if this happened at the same time or not) but the fuel gage is pegged at "F" all the time. I believe it goes to "F" when the car is not running but it doesn't move once I start it.

I did a search and I read on here about a screen in the filler neck, but is that only on Flex fuel models? Also, where is the screen located?...in the rubber hose going to the tank....in the filler neck itself? I started pulling off the filler neck but it is badly rusted and feared making my problem worst. So I looked around and I was tugging on lines to make sure everything was tight and the line going from the EVAP valve to the charcol canister (past the valve side) pulled free. I turned the line downwards and fuel came out of it. Umm...liquid not vapor?!?! Could this be my issue, that my charcol canister is filled with fuel or do I have some other gremlins?

Thanks for the help!

PS...no codes either.
nyjeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 15003
RyanRage has a little shameless behaviour in the past

That could be your problem.. Either that or a problem with the full tube. The gas guage staying at "F" is probably either the float on the gas tank or the guage itself. I've had both of these problems on my Taurus before. The "F" being stuck ended up being the float. I never fixed it because the float is a pain to change, but It's know that the guage can malfunction. You can get a guage cluster from your local salvage yard for a reasonable price. If you have a center shift, the cluster will be much easier to get at. Whichever you have, there are directions on the forums to do it, just do a search. The gas not filling was my fill tube. It had a small block and when gas would get pumped in, it wouldn't want to keep pumping. The gas would build up because it couldn't get into the tank quick enough and it would reach the nossle of the gas pump and shut it off.

Owns:
2000 Ford Taurus SE (Auto)

Future Mods:
Dual Exhaust, G4 AAS Combat Body Kit, Green Underglow, Purple Interior Neons
RyanRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 9815
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2002 Mercury Sable LS Wagon
soccernamlak has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Wait, so your car doesn't accept gas at all and the fuel gauge shows Full at all times?

My friend, I believe you have the only car in the world that violates the First Law of Thermodynamics.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Wait, so your car doesn't accept gas at all and the fuel gauge shows Full at all times?

My friend, I believe you have the only car in the world that violates the First Law of Thermodynamics.
[/b]
Interesting, maybe I have created cure for our so-called oil crisis....a perpetual motion taurus?

Ok ok....as an engineer I deserve that one. Let me re-word this for the more scrupulous readers....the fuel gage shows "F" at all times....even though I was able to put 7 gallons into the tank at a very painstakingly slow rate. At this point, because I'm not the one driving the car, I do not know with any certainity exactly how much gas is in the tank. I do know that if I fill it up to the top.....it bleads down into the tank eventually with no gas leaking out of the car (although it is probably filling up my evap canister). Is there a screen in all filler necks and if so.....about where is it located?

I started thinking about this some more....my girlfriend at times fills the car up via gas cans because she can get a large quantity of gas at a huge discount. Perhaps she overfilled the vehicle (causing the float to go to extremes that it is not used too and possibly sticking at that point due to varnish buildup on the slide) and at the same time forced gas through the evap valve and into the canister? Possible?

I'm out of town and just trying to get some ideas of what it could be so when I get home I'm a little bit ahead of the game...if that is possible.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
WJC
Devoted Member

Member Number: 16719
WJC has a spectacular aura about

Certainly sounds like a restriction somewhere. You won't know for sure until you get that tank down and inspect it. Filling the charcoal canister with gas is bad, BTW. You can really mess up the emission system pulling fuel up through the vacuum hoses.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 5485
gohim has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Could be that the overflow/vapor recovery line/s are full of fuel because when the filler neck filled up, and overflowed, that's just where the fuel went.

There is a screen in the neck of the filler tube, supposedly to prevent siphoning of fuel. Yeah, right, what usually happens is the clown with the hose succeeds in pushing the filter out of the neck, and down into the gas tank.

I have a spare brand new filler neck from a 96 Taurus Sedan Parts Car sitting in my garage. Car was disassembled with only 208 miles on it, and it was never registered.

I never used it on my 96 Taurus Wagon, because the filler necks of the sedan and wagon are different. It's a little dirty and dusty from sitting uncovered in my garage for the past seven years, but it was only taken off the tank two years ago when I installed the tank in my Wagon. If it will fit on your car, you can have it for $20, plus the shipping.
gohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Could be that the overflow/vapor recovery line/s are full of fuel because when the filler neck filled up, and overflowed, that's just where the fuel went.

There is a screen in the neck of the filler tube, supposedly to prevent siphoning of fuel. Yeah, right, what usually happens is the clown with the hose succeeds in pushing the filter out of the neck, and down into the gas tank.

I have a spare brand new filler neck from a 96 Taurus Sedan Parts Car sitting in my garage. Car was disassembled with only 208 miles on it, and it was never registered.

I never used it on my 96 Taurus Wagon, because the filler necks of the sedan and wagon are different. It's a little dirty and dusty from sitting uncovered in my garage for the past seven years, but it was only taken off the tank two years ago when I installed the tank in my Wagon. If it will fit on your car, you can have it for $20, plus the shipping.
[/b]
Do you know exactly where this screen is in the filler neck? Is it just prior to the start of the rubber hose that goes to the tank (ie...at the end of the filler neck metal tube)? Can you see the screen once you disconnect the rubber hose from the gas tank end?

I appreciate the offer for your part....would have made my life a lot easier....but just talked to the Ford dealer and they said they are different.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3575
sfhess will become famous soon enough

There is no screen in the filler tube. There is a check ball that keeps fuel from coming out the fill tube if the car overturns.

The fuel gauge float does not "slide" on anything - it is on the end of a wire lever that activates a variable resistor.

We had an 89 Topaz with a faulty fuel gauge. I replaced the pump/sender assembly but this did not sove the problem. I replaced the gauge with one from a junkyard cluster and it worked fine afterward.

Intact is one word. A lot is two words.

1991 Taurus LX Sedan 3.8 Titanium Frost - Taken to the pound/RIP 12/27/2012.
2011 Fusion 2.5 Auto Silver Appearance Package
1969 Cougar XR 7 351W
2014 Focus SE Hatch 2.0 GDI White Sport Package
"I had the right to remain silent, but I did not have the ability" - Ron White
sfhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 5485
gohim has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I went out to the garage and took a look at the spare filler neck. The think down at the bottom of the filler neck is a hinged plastic flapper door. No sure of wht it does for sure, but if I remember correctly it does float, so may be it's there to keep fuel from floshing up the neck (and into the vapor recovery system).

I do vaguely remember finding the broken off flapper floating in my old tank when I pulled it from my 96 Wagon (big dent in tank from Previous Owner, and a defective fuel accumulator on the fuel pump). I swapped the new tank and fuel pump into my Wagon from the 96 Sedan Parts Car, when the engine was having an extended crank time when starting due to no residual fuel pressure.

I reused the original filler neck from the Wagon instead of the new one from the Sedan parts car because the filler necks were different due to the mounting tabs of the neck being attached at a different orientation between the two car models (so Sedan filler necks are different from those in Wagons).
gohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
There is no screen in the filler tube. There is a check ball that keeps fuel from coming out the fill tube if the car overturns. [/b]
Ok...and it sounds like gohim agrees with the one he has in his garage. I did also hear that there was only a screen on a flex fuel models (if that is even true). So keeping with the main theme....could this check ball be stuck in such a position so as to not allow fuel to enter the tank (except for at a very slow rate)? Haven't seen any posts regarding anything similiar to that happening. BTW....$250 - $350 for a filler neck from the dealer.

I guess it comes down to (2) things in my mind....either an obstruction between the gas cap and the fuel tank or trapped vapors in the tank that prevents additional fuel being added. I still wonder about the liquid gas that was in the line going to the EVAP canister....I know it is not right....but could that be causing the issue with filling the tank? If there is fuel in the line, that blocks the passage of vapors....but wouldn't it kick off a CEL?

I am skeptical about the fuel gage because if I remember correctly (and correct me if I am wrong)....when you turn the car off the gage goes above "F". If that is the case, it sounds like I'm not getting a signal to the gage because it doesn't move when I turn the ignition on (no matter how much gas is in it).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement