Transaxle Light Problem - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 14095
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Klikerko has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi guys,

I bought 2000 Taurus SE 6 months ago and today I noticed that TRANSAXLE light (light with exclamation mark) never comes ON when key is in ignition. All lights are working but that's only light that never comes ON. (see image)

Missing Transaxle light should be next to the ABS light. Is there anyone that have 2000 Taurus SE to give me info should I have this light lit or not? That would save me a lot of time because I don't want to take a instrument panel apart if it's not necessary.

I'm afraid that previous owner maybe disabled that light before sale in order to hide transaxle problem.

There are also some other light that never comes on like LOW COOLANT and CHECK FUEL CAP but TRANSAXLE light is what concerns me at this moment.

Thank you,
G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6725_resize.JPG (60.2 KB, 2600 views)
Klikerko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 5766
achang1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to achang1

you car probably didnt have that feature
ford used universal instrument panels for all their taurus's and didnt put in lights for things the car doesnt have.
my 99 doenst have a transaxle "!" light.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Andrew, I also have to check is there LOW COOLANT light on my instrument panel.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3350
Nidan has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Nidan

Quote:
Thanks Andrew, I also have to check is there LOW COOLANT light on my instrument panel.
[/b]
If your car has the vulcan engine, then the low coolant light isn't supposed to work. Only the duratec cars had a coolant level sensor.

- Barenaked Ladies
(it suits me so well sometimes, heh)
Nidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

The ( ! ) for the transaxle worked in my 2000 cluster works fine. The light might have burned out. I can give you a link on how to take the dashboard apart and fix this if you're interested (it also gives you a chance to replace any burnt out lights in your instrument cluster backlighting).

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
The ( ! ) for the transaxle worked in my 2000 cluster works fine. The light might have burned out. I can give you a link on how to take the dashboard apart and fix this if you're interested (it also gives you a chance to replace any burnt out lights in your instrument cluster backlighting).
[/b]
Yes please, link will be fantastic.

I have Haynes service manual but I would like to read more information before I start. I'm not happy to hear that transaxle light should work... Now I'm afraid that maybe someone disconnected the light before sale to mask transmission problem. I mean, what are the odds that transaxle bulb is burnt....
Old 07-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 3969
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4.6
Trader Score: 1 reviews
rdh2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Yes please, link will be fantastic.

I have Haynes service manual but I would like to read more information before I start. I'm not happy to hear that transaxle light should work... Now I'm afraid that maybe someone disconnected the light before sale to mask transmission problem. I mean, what are the odds that transaxle bulb is burnt....
[/b][/quote]

The "Check Transaxle" warning light is normally off and does not test with key on/ignition off like other warning lights. It only illuminates (flashes) if there is a problem detected in the transaxle.

2002 Taurus SE "Evelyn" 221K+ miles 3.0 Vulcan AX4S - RIP
1995 Taurus GL "Bonnie" 72000 miles 3.0 Vulcan AX4N - RIP

If you need help with a Taurus problem, feel free to PM me or www.taurusowners.com
rdh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

I was double checking the owners manual for a 2000...and it doesn't mention that it should ever illuminate, but yet the 01-03 owners manual onwards does. Starting the car up *should* run a test on the bulbs anyways as it says:
Quote:
Check transaxle
Momentarily illuminates when the
ignition is turned to the ON position.[/b]
Here's how to take apart your dashboard...have fun
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=57274

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 15783
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL Centennial Edition
trus03 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to trus03

I just checked my 03 Taurus tonight. When I turn the key to the "ON" position, the (!) transaxle light briefly illuminates.

2003 Ford Taurus SEL Centennial Edition Garage
"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust;
If it wasn't for the Taurus, our tools would rust"
trus03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well guys, I removed the dashboard today and checked instrument panel. This is what I had found.

On the back side of instrument panel is a number of easy to remove bulbs and all bulb holes are marked. I noticed that there are some holes marked but missing and that was of course done in the factory since I don't have those features on my car ("rear light out" for example).

I noticed that I have a hole and a bulb for "low coolant" but as Nidan said my Vulcan engine shouldn't have that feature. I will check tomorrow coolant tank again to see is there a sensor.

Back to (!) transaxle light... There is a hole and there is a bulb for that feature. I put a new bulb there and nothing happened. I put a bulb from (!) transaxle to "brake" and bulb illuminated. So, bulb is OK. Then I used multimeter and checked voltage on "transaxle" light contacts and there was steady 12V when ignition is ON. But why all bulbs that I tried (and I tried at least 5 of them) didn't want to illuminate? I was confused. I couldn't solve this...

Then I found something really interesting and I will be very thankful if someone experienced could explain this to me. There is a "brake" bulb. That bulb illuminates just for a few seconds when ignition is ON which is normal. I removed that bulb (in pure desperation because I couldn't solve transaxle light problem) and placed multimeter to check for a voltage when ignition is ON. It was steady 12V and after a few seconds it was still 12V but how that bulb turned off when there is a power?

At the end, I checked all the wires, everything was OK. All bulbs are OK but transaxle light doesn't illuminate. RDH2 said that light shouldn't illuminate but then Bull Geek said it illuminates on his 2000. I don't know how to solve this... I'm ready to give up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement