Sunroof Problem Solved - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 37321
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: I own a 1996 Black Taurus SHO
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
QuinnSHO is on a distinguished road

^I still need to ask you about my roof issue... (and how in gods name do they even come apart)

QuinnSHO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 49561
Chapter: Northern
Drives: 2004 Ford Taurus SEL Comfort
it'sthatcar is a jewel in the rough

My sunroof is very noisy too. I found out at very high speeds the wind will move the glass up and down in the frame. I'm going to put some weather stripping in there to see if that reduces the wind noise.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

David

2004 SEL Comfort ~ Shadow Grey Metallic ~ Mach upgrade with Pioneer speakers in the doors and Kenwood speakers in the rear deck ~ tinted windows ~ amber rear turn signal mod
it'sthatcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
N.E. Chapter Moderator

Member Number: 42443
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE FFV
Trader Score: 7 reviews
TaurusDailyDriver is a splendid one to beholdTaurusDailyDriver is a splendid one to behold

@Quinn
There are a number of screws holding in the track to the tray. The sunroof motor also needs to be removed prior to the removal of the track... It is held by a couple screws as well. Once you do that, it is fairly easy to wiggle out.

@thatcar
Yes, the air pressure pulls on the glass. This happens to all cars... it is just a matter of how well they plan for it. The sunroof design is from 1995.. Mine is loose at the moment so I know exactly what you mean about the vacuum created pulling the glass upward of speeds over 50. Weather stripping or something similar is only a good idea if you do NOT use your sunroof. The rubber around the glass will catch on anything resistive if you are trying to close it. It will catch and not close either from vent or being completely open. You may benefit from making sure everything is tight. It should not have much play. You can always attempt to readjust your glass by loosening and re-tightening the screws holding the glass in. To get to these, carefully pop the plastic piece shown above and slide it back into the roof exposing the screws. Just do not open it when you do that!!!

2011 Ford Fusion SEL 3.0L DOHC V6
2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L FFV OHV (The Beater)

2006 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L OHV V6 (Sold)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL 3.0L FFV OHV V6 (Sister's)

Last edited by TaurusDailyDriver; 12-24-2012 at 03:30 PM.
TaurusDailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Devoted Member

@DailyDriver - thanks for the tips! So to access the screws, you just gently pull down the black plastic trim under the glass that sits toward the front end of the car?

David

2004 SEL Comfort ~ Shadow Grey Metallic ~ Mach upgrade with Pioneer speakers in the doors and Kenwood speakers in the rear deck ~ tinted windows ~ amber rear turn signal mod
Old 12-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
N.E. Chapter Moderator

TaurusDailyDriver is a splendid one to beholdTaurusDailyDriver is a splendid one to behold

Yes, may I stress the 'gently' part of the removal process. These things are very very fragile and don't take much to break. What I do is take a small pry bar and just push down very evenly until the whole thing starts to come off. Patience is very helpful. So once you get it off, yes you can just push it back into the roof carefully. This exposes screws.

Here are some pictures I figured I would throw up to help anyone who may need the visuals.

This is what you will see when you get the plastic down off of the moonroof glass.

Sunroof Problem Solved-imag2144.jpg

Now this is the back of it and I think it is important to have this displayed here. If you noticed on the metal of the glass where it clips on, there are 3 small indents in the metal. On this fragile plastic, you can see on the back where these clip on to the metal. These are so easy to break too.. so just take it incredibly easy. ((It is slid into the back of the roof in this photo.. it is very UN-sturdy!))

Sunroof Problem Solved-imag2148.jpg

And these are the 3 screws you will see on each side.

Sunroof Problem Solved-imag2145.jpg

No need to completely remove the screws. Loosening them slightly will allow you to properly place your glass if necessary. Be warned.. it may take a few tries and a couple runs on a back road going 65mph to test it for windnoise.

Happy adjusting.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Great! Thank you!

David

Old 12-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member Number: 47403
Drives: 2004 SES
Bob R is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusDailyDriver View Post
What is so noisy about it?
Everything. Wind noise around the whole car...road noise. If I'm on a rough grain type of asphalt highway, it sounds like I have two Pratt & Whitneys in the back seat. I've tried many brands of tires and not cheap ones either. Can't hear the radio...can hardly hold a conversation. Terrible. If I had the money, I'd get another car, but I don't so I go a little more deaf daily.
Bob R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
N.E. Chapter Moderator

Funny you say that. My car, especially when my Michelin tires were brand new, rides very quietly. The sunroof is making a bit of noise, but that will be fixed and the car will be completely air tight and won't ride loud.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

And of course, on the 1st and 2nd gen Taurus, they made that guide out of metal and screws. Cheapo plastic for the replacement. What a joke.

One way to help prevent it breaking is to not slam the moonroof shade back and forth. If you're gentle, it'll last.

Bob, late 03s+ are supposed to be some of the quietest Tauruses ever made. Wonder why you have so much windnoise. Weird.

-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K - FOR SALE, See Thread: click

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member Number: 47403
Drives: 2004 SES
Bob R is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Geek View Post
And of course, on the 1st and 2nd gen Taurus, they made that guide out of metal and screws. Cheapo plastic for the replacement. What a joke.

One way to help prevent it breaking is to not slam the moonroof shade back and forth. If you're gentle, it'll last.

Bob, late 03s+ are supposed to be some of the quietest Tauruses ever made. Wonder why you have so much windnoise. Weird.
Hi Nick
I got the car used from a dealer with 22K on it in '05 and it was noisy from the the get go. I actually took it back to the dealer and took the service manager for a ride. They had no clue other than try and change the tires. It had Continentals that I scrapped for Michelin Edge tires...no help. I trashed those for the best, "quietest" Toyo's. Worst wearing tire I ever had and still noisy. Tried another tread pattern of Michelins and still the same. Wind noise all over the car...road noise unless I'm on the new style pavement which is better, but not gone. I've gone through 2 sets of struts all around...new front wheel bearings...the works. Nothing cures the noise. Sometimes I wonder if they forgot the insulation. My '88...'96 and '98 Tauruses were quiet as a mouse. I yearn for a quiet car every time I get in this one.
Bob R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.