Shift Inidicator : Is It In Drive Or Overdrive Or Park Or ? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 2649
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Headknocker has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to Headknocker

Forgive me is this topic has already been covered. I had searched the forum and did not see a situation that matches the one I have for my 1994 Taurus.

The issue I am having with my Taurus at this time involves shift the car into gear. It is difficult to to move the column shifter into any gear..even park. It is not physically tough, but the indicator in the dash seems a bit off to what actual gear it may be in. There is also some play, or looseness, in the column shift and the in dash gear indicator.

Example : I get in the car last night and it would not start. Though the in dash indicator shown the car to be in park, it actually wasn't. Thankfully the bull was sitting on level ground and did not roll away into the sunset. I moved the column shift down to overdrive and back up to park firmly but not forced. I then was able to start my car without a problem.

I always seem to have to adjust the column shift to make sure it is in the gear I desire. There are time where I may want to go into reverse and though the indicator shows the bull to be in reverse, it is in neutral.

I am not sure if there is a worn cable from the transmission to the column shifter or perhaps some mounted shift module on the tranny that is creating this problem.

The transmission itself shift well. This problem is not based on the mechanical function of the tranny. It seems fine (knock on wood).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Headknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

The transmission range sensor that the shifter cable attaches to under the hood is what you feel (the detents) when you move the shifter. It is out of alignment. To align it, you make sure the trans itself is in neutral, undo the bolt that attaches the shifter cable, put the shifter so the needle points to neutral, and then tighten the bolt.

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 113
rudedog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rudedog Send a message via MSN to rudedog Send a message via Yahoo to rudedog

It could very well be the TRS as Qwertz stated. It could also be the shift lever bushings on TOP of the steering column(high lighted in RED in the pic below). I just replaced these in my '93 last week, they were not completely worn out or worn through, but instead they had worn in such a way that they were no longer in their correct position. That allowed the shifter lever to move just far enough forward and back on top of the column where it would not come out of gear. It would also sometimes not allow me to get the shifter fully into the LOCK position to remove the key, although the shift position "dial" on the dash, indicated it WAS in PARK. I got these bushings from a local dealer for approximately $3.00.

To get to this point ^^^^^ you will have to disconnect the battery, disconnect the air bag from under the column, remove the lower kick plate and the metal support behind that. You will need to disconnect the shift indicator cable from just behind the steering column cover on the right side(5.5mm), Remove the lower half of column cover trim. The ignition switch(key is next. Turn to "RUN" and stick a little pick or screw or something in the little hole. Unplug a couple of connectors under the column to the right, 1 black, 1 grey. Disconnect the shift interlock switch. After that you should be clear to drop the wheel/column assembly down. To do that, there are four 13mm nuts that hold a "knee destroyer"(take it off you'll understand). Remove the stamped steel brace that goes horizontally under the column(2-8mm bolts). Then there are 2 more 13mm nuts with slightly larger washers that hold the column in place, watch your head with the last one if you're down there it will fall. Set it on the seat and you should be able to follow the shift handle along it's length to the retainers(highlighted in YELLOW in the above pic). You'll need to have a T-27 torx to remove the retainer bolts and then the bushings will slide out, they are pre "split" in order to install them. You'll probably also need to remove the screws that hold the shift lever position bracket(#1 in the pic below), and the shift interlock solenoid(#5 in the pic below).

Also, I gave the guy the part number(7L278 #4 in the legend) over the phone, first to see if they even carried the part second to see if it was even a GOOD part number. It was and they did, I went and picked it up along with a new shift interlock solenoid for about $40.00.

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to inspect the bushings since they are plastic. Remember it IS a 14 year old car. Also mine did not have any type of grease or lubricant to keep from getting worn, they DO now. Good luck, Rudy.

May 2008 Car of The Month/Car of the Year 2008
'93 GL 3.0L, BOOTY'S BLUE BUCKET O' BOLTS
February Car of the Month T.S.O.C.
March Car of The Month T.C.C.A.
2003 SES 3.0L, GHOST

'93 SHO 3.2L, SNIPER SHO
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 2649
Headknocker has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to Headknocker

I want to thank Qwertz and rudedog for the useful information. The detailed descriptions and the provided images will help me greatly. I want you to know you help is really appreciated.

- Tom

Headknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 9372
Drives: 2004 SE
hoogitmimms has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
It could very well be the TRS as Qwertz stated. It could also be the shift lever bushings on TOP of the steering column(high lighted in RED in the pic below). I just replaced these in my '93 last week, they were not completely worn out or worn through, but instead they had worn in such a way that they were no longer in their correct position. That allowed the shifter lever to move just far enough forward and back on top of the column where it would not come out of gear. It would also sometimes not allow me to get the shifter fully into the LOCK position to remove the key, although the shift position "dial" on the dash, indicated it WAS in PARK. I got these bushings from a local dealer for approximately $3.00.

To get to this point ^^^^^ you will have to disconnect the battery, disconnect the air bag from under the column, remove the lower kick plate and the metal support behind that. You will need to disconnect the shift indicator cable from just behind the steering column cover on the right side(5.5mm), Remove the lower half of column cover trim. The ignition switch(key is next. Turn to "RUN" and stick a little pick or screw or something in the little hole. Unplug a couple of connectors under the column to the right, 1 black, 1 grey. Disconnect the shift interlock switch. After that you should be clear to drop the wheel/column assembly down. To do that, there are four 13mm nuts that hold a "knee destroyer"(take it off you'll understand). Remove the stamped steel brace that goes horizontally under the column(2-8mm bolts). Then there are 2 more 13mm nuts with slightly larger washers that hold the column in place, watch your head with the last one if you're down there it will fall. Set it on the seat and you should be able to follow the shift handle along it's length to the retainers(highlighted in YELLOW in the above pic). You'll need to have a T-27 torx to remove the retainer bolts and then the bushings will slide out, they are pre "split" in order to install them. You'll probably also need to remove the screws that hold the shift lever position bracket(#1 in the pic below), and the shift interlock solenoid(#5 in the pic below).

Also, I gave the guy the part number(7L278 #4 in the legend) over the phone, first to see if they even carried the part second to see if it was even a GOOD part number. It was and they did, I went and picked it up along with a new shift interlock solenoid for about $40.00.

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to inspect the bushings since they are plastic. Remember it IS a 14 year old car. Also mine did not have any type of grease or lubricant to keep from getting worn, they DO now. Good luck, Rudy.
[/b]
Lots of help but..... Pics didn't com up.
hoogitmimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 14411
joeasheville has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I see the pics just fine.

Hopefully I won't have to go that far into the column to fix a wobbly shifter...that's a LOT of work for a couple of cheap bushings...
Old 06-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 47879
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 99 SE DOHC
JMF99T is an unknown quantity at this point

What ended up being the problem? I am also having the same issue! Thanks!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 7489
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: '90 Taurus GL Wagon 3.0L; '65 Rambler Ambassador 990 convertible
Lgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeasheville View Post
I see the pics just fine.

Hopefully I won't have to go that far into the column to fix a wobbly shifter...that's a LOT of work for a couple of cheap bushings...
Not a lot of work at all, takes about ten minutes to get the column off the dashboard brace. Seems to me there are four nuts holding the column on the brace, at least mine has four, but otherwise very good directions. If Rudedog types like me, it probably took longer to type how to do it than it takes to do it.

If you're going to lube those nylon sleeve bushings, I'd recommend using white lithium grease. Takes way longer to dry out than the heavier stuff. That's what I use to lubricate combination-lock dial packs on safes, actually, lasts for years.

Almost forgot - rather than adjust your cable to a worn TRS, may as well replace it as the lugs on the inner nylon disc that slips over your tranny shaft are probably worn to nothing. That's what causes the wandering in your shifter.

Last edited by Lgbpop; 06-19-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: don't know my Ps from my Rs!
Lgbpop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3575
sfhess will become famous soon enough

The nut on the bottom end of the shifter assembly (near the brake pedal) may be loose. That was the problem in my 91 LX. I replaced the whole shifter assembly, with new plastic bushings anyway.

Intact is one word. A lot is two words.

1991 Taurus LX Sedan 3.8 Titanium Frost - Taken to the pound/RIP 12/27/2012.
2011 Fusion 2.5 Auto Silver Appearance Package
1969 Cougar XR 7 351W
2002 Ford Explorer XLT RWD 4.0

"I had the right to remain silent, but I did not have the ability" - Ron White
sfhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 47879
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 99 SE DOHC
JMF99T is an unknown quantity at this point

Do they have the bushings at a dealer still?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement