Oxygen Sensors On 2003 Ses Flex Fuel - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 15584
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
dougngod has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Could some body please tell me where the oxegen sensors are located and how to replace then on a 2003 Taurus SES with the flex fuel engine. My car is jerking and bucking under acceleration "sometimes" and I have run through a couple of cans of injector cleaner as well as dry gas and have now just replaced the fuel filter but still have the problem and someone said that's what I needed to do next......
dougngod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 899
godspunk32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to godspunk32

That's DEFINITELY not oxygen sensors.

The Oxygen (O2) sensors control the air fuel ratio (upstream sensors) and monitor catalyst efficiency (downstream sensors). The upstream sensors are located on the exhaust manifolds, before the catalytic converters, and the downstream sensors are located on the y-pipe, after the cats. They would have no effect on the idle or cause bucking.

You should be looking at the mass airflow sensor, throttle body, and IAC.

JR

godspunk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 4131
millermagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to millermagic

O2 sensors would be the last on the list I would check for.

I'd start out with Godspunk's list and add spark plugs on there.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Unhappy

Thank You JR I Sincerly soooo much for your advice. If it was you which of the three things that you mentioned would you try first, then second and then third ?..... and do you think maybe new plugs and wires might help if I can get to the back ones. You know through all of this my "check engine light still has not come on even one time yet... lol... now that I've said it thopugh well see.............thanks, Doug

Quote:
That's DEFINITELY not oxygen sensors.

The Oxygen (O2) sensors control the air fuel ratio (upstream sensors) and monitor catalyst efficiency (downstream sensors). The upstream sensors are located on the exhaust manifolds, before the catalytic converters, and the downstream sensors are located on the y-pipe, after the cats. They would have no effect on the idle or cause bucking.

You should be looking at the mass airflow sensor, throttle body, and IAC.

JR
[/b]
Old 05-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

The first thing I'd do is pull your spark plugs, take a picture of them, and post the picture here. Based on the color and characteristics of the isolators, we can have a better idea of what your engine is actually doing; running rich, lean, misfiring, flooding the cylinder, whatever. The second thing I'd do is check to make sure the plug wires are on the correct plugs, and in the correct order. After that, I'd clean the mass airflow sensor with some MAF sensor cleaner, then check the IAC and make sure the throttle body is moving cleanly.

JR

Old 05-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 12590
sleepdog has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Could some body please tell me where the oxegen sensors are located and how to replace then on a 2003 Taurus SES with the flex fuel engine. My car is jerking and bucking under acceleration "sometimes" and I have run through a couple of cans of injector cleaner as well as dry gas and have now just replaced the fuel filter but still have the problem and someone said that's what I needed to do next......
[/b]
Even if the CEL hasn't turned on I'd still scan for codes, chances are there might be some stored in memory, ones that don't trigger the light to turn on. Post them here.
sleepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 11956
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 1993 V6 3.2 SHO
fdogg96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
[/b]
Failing 02s will feel more like stalling or even a lack of acceleration....not jerking like an old man with a heart attack..

Clubs: SHOCAL & SHOForum

Past VP - TCCA West Coast Chapter
fdogg96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Absolutely wrong.

Failing O2 sensors (upstream) will throw a code for an improper air/fuel ratio, and the car might run rich or lean. Failed downstream sensors won't do anything other than throw a code. There will be no stalling unless there are other issues.

JR

Old 05-03-2008, 07:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
mwt
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 1952
mwt is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell us how many miles and we can start telling you things that usually need maintenance in the mileage range.

Mike

If I had known there was going to be a test I would have studied

94gl Vulcan totalled 4-01-04
99 LX FFV-purchased 4-17-04 totalled 5-17-06 untotalled on 9-2-07 and back on the road
New Paint coming soon
2000 SES Duratec Garage
2000 SEL Duratec this thing has everything but a spoiler
mwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

93426 Miles Mike and Thanks for responding. I'm beggining to think I need to find a Auto Exocist...LOL It's funny some times under acceleration it jerks and buck like a brama bull and not once yet has my service engine light come on yet. I am a novice at all this but did manage with ya'alls help to change the fuel filter but I went out and looked at me replacing the plug and wires with new ones and not sure if I can get to those back three ??????????? ....... If I do should I put in platnum or Iridium plugs and are Bosch wires good or should I use something else ?
Thanks Again.
Doug

Quote:
Tell us how many miles and we can start telling you things that usually need maintenance in the mileage range.

Mike

[/b]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement