1996 Ford Taurus Steering Column Removal - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 03:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 15561
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
StevenRosenow has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to StevenRosenow Send a message via MSN to StevenRosenow Send a message via Yahoo to StevenRosenow

Anyone done one before? I have a 1996 Ford Taurus GL sedan with 261,991 miles on it and it needs a new steering column (the connector/actuator pin for the ignition switch broke).

I'm buying a replacement column, and I need to know how to remove and replace one. I've spent weeks searching every available avenue online (including several automotive repair databases and Autozone's online Repair Center) to no avail.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum.

-Steve

1996 Taurus GL - 264K miles and climbing. 3.0L Vulcan/AX4S automatic
1992 Ford Taurus SHO - 218K miles and climbing. 3.0L 24V DOHC/MTX manual.
1955 Kenworth-Pacific School Coach school bus. 73 pass. cap. Over 500K miles and climbing. GMC 401 cid V6 gas engine/5-spd. Fuller 6252 manual.
StevenRosenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3350
Nidan has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Nidan

From the service manual:

CAUTION: Do not remove steering wheel (3600) and driver side air bag module (043B13) as an assembly unless the column is locked or the steering column shaft is secured to keep it from turning. This will avoid damage to the air bag sliding contact (14A664) assembly.

Disconnect battery ground cable (14301). Refer to Section 14-01. Wait one minute for air bag diagnostic monitor to deplete its stored energy.

Remove steering wheel as outlined.

Remove the bolt retaining steering column intermediate shaft coupling (3A525) to steering column lower yoke (3N725).

Remove two retaining screws from lower instrument panel steering column cover (04459) and remove cover.

Turn ignition switch lock cylinder (11582) to RUN position. Place a 3.17 mm (1/8-inch) diameter wire pin or small drift hole punch in hole in lower steering column shroud (3530) under ignition switch (11572). Press retaining pin while pulling out on ignition switch lock cylinder to remove it from steering column lock cylinder housing (3511).

Remove the lower steering column shroud and upper steering column shroud, fastened by three self-tapping screws.

On column shift models, unsnap and slide shift control selector lever boot up toward the end of the manual control lever (7A256).

Remove gearshift lever pin (7G357) from manual control lever and remove lever from column.

NOTE: For vehicles equipped with overdrive lockout switch on column lever, disconnect wiring connector at bottom of steering column and remove wiring from column with manual control lever.

Loosen ignition switch connector retaining screw from column and remove connector from ignition switch.

Disconnect horn and speed control connectors.

Disconnect air bag power supply connector.

Disconnect interlock switch connectors.

Remove screws retaining multi-function switch (13K359) and position out of the way.

Remove shift indicator cable from shifter tube.

Remove screw securing shifter indicator retainer from column adjustment cable.

Remove two front nuts from instrument panel support bracket. Remove two rear nuts and carefully lower column down.

NOTE: On console shift models, remove interlock cable and actuator.

Remove steering column intermediate shaft coupling from steering gear (3504).

Remove column from vehicle and place on bench.

To install, reverse Removal procedure. Adjust shift indicator cable as necessary.

In case you aren't sure how to remove the steering wheel:

Removal

Center front wheels to the straight-ahead position.

WARNING: THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY MUST BE DISCONNECTED BEFORE ANY AIR BAG COMPONENT IS SERVICED. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY.

Disconnect battery ground cable (14301) and positive battery cable. Refer to Section 14-01. Wait one minute for air bag diagnostic monitor to deplete its stored energy.

Remove two cover caps from steering wheel backcover to driver side air bag module retaining bolts.

Remove two driver side air bag module retaining bolts and lift driver side air bag module (043B13) off steering wheel (3600).

Disconnect driver side air bag wire harness from driver side air bag module and remove driver side air bag module from steering wheel.

Remove steering wheel retaining bolt.

CAUTION: Be sure air bag sliding contact wire harness does not get caught on wheel assembly when lifting steering wheel off steering column to avoid damage to air bag sliding contact.

Remove steering wheel from shaft using Steering Wheel Puller. Route air bag sliding contact assembly wire harness through steering wheel as steering wheel is lifted off of the steering column shaft.

Installation

Make sure that front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.

CAUTION: Be sure air bag sliding contact wire is not pinched or air bag monitor will detect a fault.

Route air bag sliding contact assembly wire harness through steering wheel opening at the three o'clock position and position steering wheel on steering column. The steering wheel and steering column shaft alignment marks should be aligned.

Install new steering wheel retaining bolt and tighten to 34-46 Nm (25-34 lb-ft).

CAUTION: Be sure wiring does not get trapped between steering wheel and air bag sliding contact (14A664) assembly or air bag monitor will detect a fault.

Connect air bag wire harness to driver side air bag module and install driver side air bag module to steering wheel. Tighten retaining bolts to 10-14 Nm (89-124 lb-in). Install two steering wheel spoke covers (3L518).

Connect positive battery cable and battery ground cable. Verify air bag warning indicator.

- Barenaked Ladies
(it suits me so well sometimes, heh)
Nidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to StevenRosenow Send a message via MSN to StevenRosenow Send a message via Yahoo to StevenRosenow

Thanks a bunch!

1955 Kenworth-Pacific School Coach school bus. 73 pass. cap. Over 500K miles and climbing. GMC 401 cid V6 gas engine/5-spd. Fuller 6252 manual.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

On second thought, is there an easier way about this? I can understand doing it per the manual, but also, there has to be an easier way. I don't ever recall having to remove the steering wheel as part of a wholesale steering column replacement.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose you could leave it on there. But it's not hard to take off.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

The last time I had to R&R a steering column (and it had an airbag), I didn't need to disconnect the airbag module nor remove the steering wheel. If you're replacing the thing wholesale, then why remove it peacemeal when the whole assembly should be able to come out?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Well, you don't have to remove the wheel or the airbag if the one you're getting already has those on it. I just posted the whole procedure in case. If you don't need to take those off, then just skip those steps.

- Barenaked Ladies
Old 05-07-2008, 12:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ah, I see.

I see it mentions removing the shift lever. Today I loosened and removed all 4 column retaining bolts (on a car at a local wrecking yard), and almost had the column pulled from the car, but the shift lever control linkage rod is getting in the way. I pulled the retaining clip forward and disengaged it per the procedure listing, but I cannot get the other retaining clip off of the flange that holds the other end of the linkage.

That's the only thing I have left to do, and I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Old 05-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

If you mean at the base of the column where the cable attaches to the linkage, there are 1 or 2 small tabs that hold the cable into the bracket. You have to push those tabs out and then slide the cable out of the bracket.

- Barenaked Ladies
Old 05-08-2008, 03:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ah, I see. I'll be trying it tomorrow, or sometime Monday, with the hopes that the wrecking yard I go to hasn't totally sold the column by then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement