How To Replace Transmission Mount? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 8024
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2006 SE Flex Fuel 75k
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
paker has a spectacular aura about

I bought a severely abused car. I readily admit it. But after replacing several parts, I thought I could live with the car.

The car had a thumping noise at normal start/stop. I replaced both front and rear engine mounts and got rid of the thump. Both mounts were pretty bad. After a month the same noise returned. I haven't replaced the transmission mount yet just because I couldn't figure out how to remove it. If anyone has replaced it before, please advise. Thanks.

2005 vulcan
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 6070
squeek has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I can't help you exactly, but I am in the same boat and it's sinking!

I already replaced front and rear, and took a whack at the transmission mount (insulator is what Ford calls it). I could not get that damn thing out for the life of me. The parts guy suggested loosening the frame bolt at the front of the rail that the insulator sits on top of, where it attaches to the bumper. He said if you did that you might be able to get enough clearance to remove the insulator.

That was last summer. I haven't yet had another chance to take a look at it. My next guess is to see if it's possible to remove the insulator mount from the insulator itself. If that could be done, you might be able to slide the insulator mount toward the front or back of the car, and once it is removed there may be enough clearance to replace the insulator.

Anyone else?
squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 22
MrBooMY has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via ICQ to MrBooMY Send a message via AIM to MrBooMY Send a message via MSN to MrBooMY Send a message via Yahoo to MrBooMY

This mount is the hardest of the three to replace. You MUST get the car off the ground on the front end at least, supported by jack stands on the frame rails under the car (NOT ON THE SUBFRAME!!!). Then you have to drop the whole side of the subframe onto a jack and lower it pretty much as far as you can by removing both large 18mm subframe bolts. Then you must remove the 3 or 4 bolts that go to the frame that wraps around the transmission then goes to the mount. Then remove all the bolts holding the mount in place. After that remove the frame first, then the mount should come out. You will do a LOT of moving that frame around to get it out, but it will come out. It took me 2x as long to do this mount as it did to do BOTH of the others.
MrBooMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 is a jewel in the rough

sawzall will work great.....

j/k

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
w2n
Devoted Member

Member Number: 8222
w2n has a little shameless behaviour in the past

reciprocating saws fix everything! lol

w2n's website UPDATED!
<div style="width:400px; text-align: center;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w217.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w217.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/w2n06/e17e4815.pbw" height="100" width="550"></embed>
w2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Squeek,
I was doing exactly what you said. I lifted the isolator as far up as I could and loosened 2 10mm mounting bolts. It took forever but I prevailed. BUT removing the 10mm bolts 1/12 of turn at a time is one thing, and inserting them is another. I now have both old and new isolators are sitting on my driveway.

MrBoom,
I understand your instruction. But clarify one thing for me. I have already lifted the engine/transmission as high as I could and I still need a good 1" clearance. (car is suppored by the side rail, not the subframe) If I lower the subframe, will I get that additional 1"? What I mean is if the engine/transmission will not come down along with subframe.

Rephrased,
I understand lifting engine/transmission gains clearance for the transmission mount.
I also understand lowering subframe gains clearance.
Can I do both and double the clearance?
Thanks.

Quote:
Then you must remove the 3 or 4 bolts that go to the frame that wraps around the transmission then goes to the mount.[/b]
I missed this part. I already started to do this as the last resort before checking the forum for replies. It's good to know that I was doing the right thing. I knew I could remove the 4 bolts but wasn't sure if I would be able to put them back in the tight spot. Since you've done it, I should be able to. Wish me a good luck so that I can complete this before midnight. Thanks.

PS: Saws-all was a joke, right? I am at my wits' end and ready to grab even a straw.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 22
MrBooMY has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via ICQ to MrBooMY Send a message via AIM to MrBooMY Send a message via MSN to MrBooMY Send a message via Yahoo to MrBooMY

Yes, if you only need another inch of clearance then dropping the subframe will give you at least that much. When I did it, I HAD to remove that support frame going to the mount. I couldn't figure out any other way to get it out. After I did that, it was easy. If I had to do it again, I think I could do it in about 45 minutes to an hour.
MrBooMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Finally, I put a new transmission mount (isolator) in place. For those who plan to replace transmission mount, the key is to remove the bracket that sits on top of the isolator, whether you raise the engine or lower the subframe. 4 bolts hold this bracket to the transmission. The bottom 2 bolts are easy, but the top two have just enough clearance for an offset wrench. I do not recommend using a straight wrench. It can round the bolt head. Because they are threaded to an aluminum casting, it is not difficult to loosen them. Putting them back in tight clearance was much easier than I initially thought. You can pretty much hold them with fingers and engage first few threads.

Thanks, Mr. Boom. Before reading your reply, I already started removing the bracket. But without your reply, I would have doubts all along. YOur reply gave much confidence.

2005 Vulcan
Old 04-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Now just hate the engineers that designed the car.....
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 5766
achang1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to achang1

have you thought about replacing the subframe bushings? because sometimes that will make a thunk noise on go stop conditions
Advertisement