Check Engine Light - P0442 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 13849
Drives: 2000 SE Wagon DOHC Traded in Nov. 17, 2012
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Tony53 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi there,

My CEL has been on for a while, and finally had the codes read today, and the only one that came up was P0442 - EVAP (Small Leak).

From searching here, it seems that there are a few possibilities. I have replaced the gas cap with an aftermarket one (could still be the problem, I suppose), and have yet to do a visual inspection of the filler tube, or tank area.

My Taurus is a 2000 wagon with the Duratec, and has about 127,000 km on the clock.

Filler tube and tank would show signs of corrosion, if a possibility for the code? Where is the evap cannister on my car?

Any other ideas on what to look for would be helpful...it's winter time, and I don't have a useable garage right now, so a quick lie-down in the snow might be what I can manage right now...Thanks in advance!

2000 Ford Taurus SE Wagon, Royal Blue
24v DOHC Duratec 3.0l V6/Auto

2007 Ford Focus SE sedan, Torreador Red (My Wife's car)
Duratec 2.0l I4/Auto

1967 VW Beetle (PROJECT) "Rusty", originally Savannah Beige, soon to be 'L87' Pearl White
1500cc Flat4/4-speed/Future "Herbie the Love Bug" Replica
Tony53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 13722
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1996 Ford Taurus G 3.0 OHV "Vulcan" No longer with us. :(
DaveX 3.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not positive about the G4 but I'm pretty sure the Evap canister is in the same place as the G3, which is in the back, underneath the car below the spare tire well. It should be sitting in a black braket (in my case, a heavily rotted bracket).

Previous cars:
1997 Geo Prizm
1996 Ford Taurus G

Formerly "Mr. X"
DaveX 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll have a look. It should be easy enough to find...I hope!

Duratec 2.0l I4/Auto

1967 VW Beetle (PROJECT) "Rusty", originally Savannah Beige, soon to be 'L87' Pearl White
Old 02-01-2008, 01:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 140
spridget has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to spridget

I had that problem for a while.... recurring code. Finally one day it went off and never came back.
spridget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 113
rudedog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rudedog Send a message via MSN to rudedog Send a message via Yahoo to rudedog

At one time I heard there was a vent valve back there that would stick open because it's under the car in the elements, and thats what causes the CEL.

May 2008 Car of The Month/Car of the Year 2008
'93 GL 3.0L, BOOTY'S BLUE BUCKET O' BOLTS
February Car of the Month T.S.O.C.
March Car of The Month T.C.C.A.
2003 SES 3.0L, GHOST

'93 SHO 3.2L, SNIPER SHO
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 is a jewel in the rough

AFAIK, there's suppose to be a vent valve that opens when the car is shut off so you can fill the car. If the valve remained closed air would not be able to escape and therefor filling would take forever. I know a lot of GM's have problems with vent valves sticking causing this kind of code. We use a scan tool to manually open and close the valve. If we hear it click then we know it's working.

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

For your reading pleasure....

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Running Loss System Monitor
The Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Running Loss System Monitor is an on-board strategy designed to detect a leak from a hole (opening) equal to or greater than 1.016 mm (0.040 inch) in the EVAP Running Loss system. The proper function of the individual components of the EVAP Running Loss system as well as its ability to flow fuel vapor to the engine is also examined. The EVAP Running Loss System Monitor relies on the individual components of the EVAP Running Loss system to apply vacuum to the fuel tank and then seal the entire EVAP Running Loss system from atmosphere. The fuel tank pressure is then monitored to determine the total vacuum lost (bleed-up) for a calibrated period of time. Inputs from the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor, intake air temperature (IAT) sensor, mass air flow (MAF) sensor, vehicle speed sensor (VSS), fuel level input (FLI) and fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor are required to enable the EVAP Running Loss System Monitor.

Note: During the EVAP Running Loss System Monitor Repair Verification Drive Cycle a PCM reset with key on, engine off will bypass the minimum soak time required to complete the monitor. The EVAP Running Loss System Monitor will not run if the key is turned off after a PCM reset. The EVAP Running Loss System Monitor will not run if a MAF sensor failure is indicated. The EVAP Running Loss System Monitor will not initiate until the Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Monitor has completed.

The EVAP Running Loss System Monitor is executed by the individual components of the EVAP Running Loss system as follows:

The function of the EVAP canister purge valve is to create a vacuum on the fuel tank. A minimum duty cycle on the EVAP canister purge valve (75%) must be met before the EVAP Running Loss System Monitor can begin.
The canister vent (CV) solenoid will close (100% duty cycle) with the EVAP canister purge valve at its minimum duty cycle to seal the EVAP Running Loss system from atmosphere and obtain a target vacuum on the fuel tank.
The fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor will be used by the EVAP Running Loss System Monitor to determine if the target vacuum on the fuel tank is being reached to perform the leak check. Once the target vacuum on the fuel tank is achieved, the change in fuel tank vacuum for a calibrated period of time will determine if a leak exists.

If the initial target vacuum cannot be reached, DTC P0455 (large leak or no purge detected) will be set. The EVAP Running Loss System Monitor will abort and not continue with the leak check portion of the test.

If the initial target vacuum is exceeded, a system flow fault exists and DTC P1450 (unable to bleed-up fuel tank vacuum) is set. The EVAP Running Loss System Monitor will abort and not continue with the leak check portion of the test.

If the target vacuum is obtained on the fuel tank, the change in the fuel tank vacuum (bleed-up) will be calculated for a calibrated period of time. The calculated change in fuel tank vacuum will be compared to a calibrated threshold for a leak from a hole (opening) of 1.016 mm (0.040 inch) in the EVAP Running Loss system. If the calculated bleed-up is less than the calibrated threshold, the EVAP Running Loss system passes. If the calculated bleed-up exceeds the calibrated threshold, the test will abort and rerun the test up to three times.

If the bleed-up threshold is still being exceeded after three tests, a vapor generation check must be performed before DTC P0442 (small leak detected) will be set. This is accomplished by returning the EVAP Running Loss system to atmospheric pressure by closing the EVAP canister purge valve and opening the CV solenoid. Once the FTP sensor observes the fuel tank is at atmospheric pressure, the CV solenoid closes and seals the EVAP Running Loss system.

The fuel tank pressure build-up for a calibrated period of time will be compared to a calibrated threshold for pressure build-up due to vapor generation.

If the fuel tank pressure build-up exceeds the threshold, the leak test results are invalid due to vapor generation. The EVAP Running Loss System Monitor will pass and complete.

If the fuel tank pressure build-up does not exceed the threshold, the leak test results are valid and DTC P0442 will be set.
The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is activated for DTCs P0442, P0455 and P1450 (or P446) after two occurrences of the same fault. The MIL can also be activated for any EVAP Running Loss system component DTCs in the same manner. The EVAP Running Loss system component DTCs P0443, P0452, P0453 and P1451 are tested as part of the Comprehensive Component Monitor (CCM).
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for that! I think that covered all the bases, for sure!

Duratec 2.0l I4/Auto

Old 05-31-2011, 01:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 30665
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 98 lx DOHC
timmytaurus is an unknown quantity at this point

Where is the sensor that tripps the code? Under hood or rear bottom. Need to find it.
timmytaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement