96 Taurus Dies When Put In Gear? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 14524
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
awatson has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My daughter has a 1996 Taurus GL with automatic transmission. My wife drove it to work a couple of days ago, no problems. Then I tried to take the Taurus to town yesterday, and it kept dying every time I put it in gear?

The battery is brand new. It starts easily and idles smoothly (around 1000 rpm).

But as soon as I put it in gear (reverse or drive), it dies.

It's slightly harder to start after that (like it's flooded a a bit), but always starts right back up and runs smoothly again until I put it in gear.

After several failed attempts, I finally got it in gear long enough to back it into it's parking space. The idle dropped when I put it in gear, but it recovered and drove fine till I parked it. But when I turned it off and tried again, it was right back to stalling when I put it in gear.

My daughter has had the Taurus a little over a year, and it has always started and run beautifully. We've never had any problems like this with it.

We've had temperatures in the upper 20's for a week or so, but it didn't have any problems till yesterday.

Any ideas of what might be causing the problem? I've worked on cars for years, but I don't even know where to start with this one.

Thanks,

Anthony
awatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 4131
millermagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to millermagic

I'd clean the MAF and IAC.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 2818
Drives: 2009 Focus SES 5spd
darthenstein has a little shameless behaviour in the past

hey,

It sounds like either your throttle body or MAF sensor needs to be cleaned, failing that I'd say there is something wrong with your spark plugs/wires, but I would first blame the air intake system, as it is apparently idling fine but when she needs some more air she can't get it.

Other than that, I must ask how many miles? Do you have a check engine light (any codes?)?

Ford: Taurus ('91, '01) Focus ('09)
Mercury: Sable ('95)
Dodge: Neon ('95)
Trek: 1000SL ('07)
darthenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 14524
awatson has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I'd clean the MAF and IAC.
[/b]
Excuse my ignorance, but what are the MAF and IAC?

Anthony
awatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Mass Air Flow sensor measures the amount if air entering the car. It has two small heater wires that accumulate dirt that will affect the accuracy of the measurements.

The Idle Air Control valve is a small motorized device that regulates the flow of air into the engine when it is running and controls the idle most of the time. Quick changes in idle speed are done through timing changes though.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 is a jewel in the rough

Another thing, which is unlikely, I've only seen it once on my friends '92 F-150. Sometimes a a band inside the transmission sticks causing the transmission to try going into first and reverse at the same time. Like I said I've only seen this once and only adding this in as another possibility.

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 13989
philbert1998 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

[quote]
My daughter has a 1996 Taurus GL with automatic transmission. My wife drove it to work a couple of days ago, no problems. Then I tried to take the Taurus to town yesterday, and it kept dying every time I put it in gear?

The battery is brand new. It starts easily and idles smoothly (around 1000 rpm).

It's slightly harder to start after that (like it's flooded a a bit), but always starts right back up and runs smoothly again until I put it in gear.

After several failed attempts, I finally got it in gear long enough to back it into it's parking space. The idle dropped when I put it in gear, but it recovered and drove fine till I parked it. But when I turned it off and tried again, it was right back to stalling when I put it in gear.

My daughter has had the Taurus a little over a year, and it has always started and run beautifully. We've never had any problems like this with it.

We've had temperatures in the upper 20's for a week or so, but it didn't have any problems till yesterday.

Any ideas of what might be causing the problem? I've worked on cars for years, but I don't even know where to start with this one.

Thanks,

Athony

My car was doing the exact same thing as yours.I changed the IAC & problem is solved.
philbert1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 13476
golden2husky has a little shameless behaviour in the past

[quote]
Quote:

Thanks,

Athony

My car was doing the exact same thing as yours.I changed the IAC & problem is solved.
another possibility is that the torque converter is shot. If the converter is locked up there is no disengagement between the engine and the transmission.
golden2husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

To kinda check the IAC, what happens when you turn the AC compressor on, the blower motor on high speed & the lights & rear window defroster on, the idea here is to put some other kind of load on the engine, rather than putting it into gear, so as to exercise the IAC.
If the IAC is working ok, the engines idle speed shouldn't drop with the AC & electrical load on.

If the idle speed does drop with all that load on it, suspect the IAC.
You might try cleaning it with a spray cleaner that says it's formulated for MAF sensors.

If it's not the IAC, then as has been said, it may be the torque converter is locked up. Kinda like leaving a straight drive vehicle in gear when stopping.

Let us know what you find.

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 5213
97tauruswagon has a little shameless behaviour in the past

MAF/IAC sounds likely as others have said. Could a clogged/failing fuel filter also cause this type of issue?
97tauruswagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement